MMA News and Discussion Thread

I'm glad with my performance this week. Just 2 fights with a wrong prediction here. I didn't get to see the event as I was at a friend's party for his birthday, but I do plan on catching it. And woooo! Third place in wage earnings!

From Meltzer:

--Dana White is working on a Bisping vs. Hamill rematch (White's exact reaction to the question if he's working on a rematch was, "Fuck, yes. The rematch on this fight is huge.") White saw it as a close win for Hamill according to an article to Kevin Iole, who spoke with him right after the fight.

Also, apparently Joe Riggs is no longer under contract to Zuffa as he is headlining the Playboy Mansion Strikforce show. I thought he was still under contract with WEC as he was supposed to fight for a title earlier this year then got injured but was never mentioned since then. This would explain why, I guess.

Edited by Fitzy

I didn't even know who won the two headline fights. I missed the decision for both fights as I was running around looking for my passport so I could head to Buffalo and watch the Bills game on Sunday. I didn't even know who the LHW champion was until this afternoon, though I was sure it was Page.

I didn't even see the first round of Hamill/Bisping either so I can't judge the decision justly. For it what it's worth I thought Bisping won the fight in the two rounds I saw, but that really means nothing.

3.1 rating for the three hour show headlined by Jackson vs. Henderson. It was the most watched UFC show in history.

This is from Meltzer. Excellent numbers.

The UFC’s third foray of the year into the U.K. drew a record number of viewers for mixed martial arts in North America. According to officials at Spike TV, which aired the event on a tape-delayed basis in the United States, the telecast captured an average of 4.7 million viewers on the strength of a 3.1 overall rating.

At one point during the title bout between Quinton Jackson and Dan Henderson, there were approximately 5.6 million viewers tuned in, according to David Schwartz of Spike TV.

UFC 75 actually outdrew any other televised program during the same time period on Saturday night in the hotly contested advertising demographics of Men 18-34 and Men 18-49. The competition in that time period included offerings of college football on ABC and ESPN, NASCAR on ABC, and the U.S. Open Women’s Final on CBS.

“The ratings are further proof that the tide in American sports is changing,” said Kevin Kay, General Manager, Spike TV. “Young men, who constitute the Spike TV core audience, prefer the incredible action and athleticism of the UFC to more traditional sports.”

UFC President Dana White was understandably touting the achievements of the promotion’s latest move into the U.K. and on American television. “Not only did UFC 75 showcase the bout that unified the 205 lb Pride and UFC titles, it did so in front of a record breaking crowd at the O2 Arena in London, and in front of the largest U.S. audience to ever tune in to an MMA card during its Spike TV telecast.”

According to statistics provided by Spike TV, “UFC 75” scored 2,503,000 Men 18-49 compared to 2.3 million for Oregon vs. Michigan on ABC; 2.1 million for NASCAR on ABC; 1.3 million for Virginia Tech vs. LSU on ESPN; 1.3 million for Notre Dame vs. Penn St on ESPN, and 546,000 for the U.S. Open Women’s Final on CBS.

In the Men 18-34 demographic “UFC 75” on Spike TV scored 1,622,000 viewers compared to 1.2 million for Oregon vs. Michigan on ABC; 717,000 for NASCAR on ABC; 656,000 million for Virginia Tech vs. LSU on ESPN; 687,000 for Notre Dame vs. Penn St on ESPN and 190,000 for the U.S. Open Women’s Final on CBS.

Overall, the Spike TV telecast drew a 3.1 rating (3.0 million homes), 5.7 Men 18-34 (1.6 million), 4.5 in M18-49 (2.5 million), and 6.2 rating in M25-34 (1.0 million).

Edited by Fitzy

Not that this is all that surprising, but EliteXC bought ICON Sport today and Cage Rage the other day and King of the Cage as well and some Korean MMA promotion as well. I was watching the press conference on proelite.com today and they stated that they want to do a US Cup tournament, a European Cup tournament, some other cup (don't remember what he said), and a World Cup. And apparently with the acquisition of ICON Sport means that tomorrow's Middleweight title fight will now be a unification match with Elite XC Middleweight Champion Ninja Rua vs. ICON Sport Middleweight Champion Robbie Lawler.

News stolen from MMANews.com

Tito planning to stay with the UFC

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Tito Ortiz on IronLife.com:

I’ll be re-signing with the UFC and they gave me what I want. I know a lot of other companies that are asking about me and I can’t count how many phone calls I’ve said ‘I can’t talk to you guys anymore,’ because it’s against my contract’…. It’s just one of those things. I think if you look at the history of Ultimate Fighting Championship, and you look at a person or a fighter who’s made more money for the company than any other fighter in the world, my name’s going to be right on top of all those names, way past Liddell, way past Couture because I’ve had a huge draw and a huge fan base that still support me 100 percent, win, lose, or draw.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Did anyone see the weigh ins? You can see them on proelite.com if you want, but anyways, Gina Carano looked in rough shape after cutting weight. She was .1 over the allowance and eventually Tonya Evinger agreed to the fight, but she was drained badly. She was doing this odd one legged stand on the scale and she couldn't even hold her hands up for the poses at the end. Hopefully she is alright for tonight.

Did anyone see the weigh ins? You can see them on proelite.com if you want, but anyways, Gina Carano looked in rough shape after cutting weight. She was .1 over the allowance and eventually Tonya Evinger agreed to the fight, but she was drained badly. She was doing this odd one legged stand on the scale and she couldn't even hold her hands up for the poses at the end. Hopefully she is alright for tonight.

Fedor was apprently agreed in principle to the UFC and then when the actual paperwork came it was different than agreed upon, but I'm going to say that probably it'll just get done now soon.

Also, Chonan is signed by the UFC finally, after being reported awhile ago.

Robbie "Ruthless" Lawler vs. Murilo "Ninja" Rua

Jake Shields d. Renato "Charuto" Verissimo - TKO, Round One

Nick Diaz d. Mike Aina - Split Decision

Gina Carano d. Tonya Evinger - RNC, Round One

Joey "Dreamsmasher" Villasenor d. Riki Fukuda - Unanimous Decision

I'm 2-2 so far on the main card. Changed my pick of Carano after hearing about the weigh-ins and figured Tonya would use the wrestling to tire her out, which she was doing but she overcommitted to the gulliotine and had her back taken and choked out. Blah. And Aina got screwed.

Edited by ACCBiggz