MMA News and Discussion Thread

I was just watching the Cole Miller vs. Leonard Garcia fight from this past Wednesday's UFN 11 (if you haven't seen it, track it down as it is pretty good fight) and I found this exchange pretty funny. Miller is trying for a rear naked choke in the final few minutes of the round and while he and Garcia throw punches at each other Miller says to Garcia "Dude you're tough." And Garcia thanks him and says that Miller is also tough. They started talking to each other again in the final seconds as well. But yeah, if you want to see a good fight check it out.

Yeah I thought that was some odd stuff. Very interesting character that guy is. Rogan saying "Crocota countered with a right hand and a scary face" was great.

And for those that like Randy Couture's picks:

Light Heavyweight : Chuck Liddell (20-4) vs. Keith Jardine (11-4) – LIDDELL

"Somebody’s going down in this one, more than likely Jardine. I think the knockout will come in the first or second, depends on Chuck. If he’s a little tentative at first it may take him a little longer. Jardine’s gonna wade in. That’s what he does.”

---------------------------------

Light Heavyweight: Forrest Griffin (14-4) vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (16-2) – GRIFFIN

“I think he’s going to beat him every round. I just think the rules are different, and there’s a few other factors I’m not going to bring to light right now.”

---------------------------------

Welterweight: Jon Fitch (19-2-1) vs. Diego Sanchez (19-1)

“Diego makes me pay every time I go against him, but I’m gonna go with Fitch.”

--------------------------------

Light Heavyweight: Lyoto Machida (10-0) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (11-6) – MACHIDA

“Machida’s gonna beat him up.”

----------------------------------

Lightweight: Tyson Griffin (9-1) vs. Thiago Tavares (16-0) - GRIFFIN

“Tyson’s going beat him, It’s going to be the fight of the night again. It’s going to be a brawl.”

Read the results... not at all surprised by the Shogun fight. I knew he wasn't a huge underdog coming in then as the weeks got closer all you heard from news sites was that Shogun wasn't taking him seriously. Just an entire bad mix.

Liddell is shocking because that's the match-up for him. There is no way they can do Chuck/Wandy now although they may. Is Jardine the #1 contender? He just beat Chuck and has a win over Forrest. :shifty:

Edit: Wait, Machida. Clearly Machida is the #1 contender, right?

Outside of those matches I did fairly well except for Wellisch and Johnson, f'n Clementi.

Edited by ACCBiggz

I was happy Forrest won. I even told Biggz a few weeks ago that part of me really wanted to see Forrest pull it off and the closer the event got, the more I began to want him to win. Even though I thought Shogun would win and my pick was wrong, I couldn't give half a shit about predictions as long as the fighter I wanted to see win, did. I think Forrest Griffin has earned himself a mighty soft spot in my heart.

Same goes for Jon Fitch. Fitch is probably my second favorite UFC Welterweight behind GSP, but for some reason I just thought Diego would win. It was really close and if the UFC judging criteria took activity and submission attempts on the bottom more seriously, Diego would have had that, IMO. To me, it's like not counting the shots of a defensive counter striker just because they aren't knocking his opponent down. Good fight, though. Even if you don't like Diego, it was an awesome fight and if Fitch is as good as he should be, than you should give a tremendous amount of credit to Sanchez. He can go when he wants to and a rematch vs. Fitch would be very interesting. Fitch vs. Karo with title implications next, please, Mr. Joe Silva. BTW, which ever judge scored this fight 30-27 is a retard.

Tavares/Griffin was an amazing fight. Don't take anything away from Tavares, he just got beat tonight, but this guy is going to be a great 155er. As well as Griffin, he was on last night. These guys are so young and have such bright futures, a loss for Tavares hardly sets him back. Again, if the MMA judging criteria put more emphasis on activity and submission attempts, it might have been a different story, but in this case it was just Griffin's night. A lot less of a factor in this compared to Diego/Fitch. Amazing fight. How many FOTY candidates does Tyson Griffin plan on having this year?!? Jesus. The guy could quite possibly win Fight of the Year, take both runner up spots, and if he fights again, could earn himself an honorable mention too. With fans wanting Guida/Griffin II, who knows?

I'm gutted about Chuck's loss. Honestly, I think a split decision was too generous, Jardine fought a brillant fight and deserved all three rounds. That's coming from a long time Chuck Liddell fan. My respect went up for Keith about a million percent. But yeah, Chuck is one of my favorites and I was really gutted when he just wasn't delivering like he should. There was no urgency at all. Every time he came in to attack, it seemed like pure desperation on his part. I don't know what you do with Chuck now. Silva vs. Chuck is still a dream fight, but with both guys beltless, each coming off two harsh consecutive losses, it's not even a fraction of as huge as it could have been at the beginning of 2007. Thing is, Chuck and Silva are my #2 and #3 favorite active fighters and I both want to see them comeback big time. So now with both guys on the rebound, the result will leave a sour taste in my mouth either way. If it was the "fight of the century" it could have been before, than just seeing the fight would have been mind blowing. But now I just want to see both guys get back on the winning track. I think I'd favor Wandy, just because I want to see a PRIDE fighter win AND look strong for once.

So who is the #1 contender at 205? Ryoto Machida. IMO, at least. He looked really good last night. More aggressive, much more appealing. Finally, starting to see a Machida I can get on board with. I don't know how much people want to see Page/Machida. If everything wasn't so fucked up at 205, then Ryoto would probably be a few slots away, but with inconsistency running wild in th LHW division, who else has a real solid case for #1?

I'll tell ya who...

Don't shoot me either, as premature as it may sound to some people, but there may not be a better time to give Forrest Griffin a title shot than right now. In fact, I'd be very pleased with that. I don't even think he has to avenge his loss to Jardine first, he beat best 205 fighter in the World last night, convincingly. The same guy that made Page look like a chump. I would have no problem with that. Clearly Forrest is ready, his popularity, confidence, skill and respect levels are be at an all-time high right now. This match would be a huge PPV monster. Even though I believe that Ryoto is mercifully the #1 contender, I would have no problem if UFC gave us Forrest/Rampage ASAP. If not, Griffin/Jardine II is a must, with title implications.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I hope nobody discredits Shogun for this loss, though. He wasn't overhyped going into this fight by any stretch of the imagination. There was a reason he has been ranked so highly all over the board. Just sucks that he didn't live up to the hype in his UFC debut.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'm not gonna discredit him by any means. In fact, it really shows how good someone is when 10 out of 11 people choose him to win. That'd be like discrediting Chuck Liddell for losing to 4 people instead of 3 now.

Edited by CeLLebrity

Tyson Griffin always comes through with entertaining fights. I can't wait to see him against some of the top stars of the Lightweight division to see how he does.

Machida usually has boring fights, but this wasn't a totally boring fight. In fact it was pretty good and he seemed real motivated to try and not have a boring fight like his dad apparently told him to go out and have an exciting fight and win convincingly. He didn't stop Nakamura but he put on a good showing here.

Very good fight between Fitch and Sanchez like I expected and Fitch picked up the well earned victory here. Can't wait to see him continue to move up the rankings in the Welterweight division. I wonder what this means for Sanchez? I am kind of hoping for a rematch with Koscheck to see what he can do when he is not injured. Or maybe Sanchez vs. Marcus Davis. That would be an interesting fight and I think Davis deserves a top ranked fighter.

Forrest Griffin beating Shogun is awesome! I picked Shogun to win but I really wanted Griffin win and he did that and also proved he belongs at top by submitting Shogun. Awesome stuff.

Keith Jardine was awesome in this fight. I thought he didn't have a chance, especially after his last fight with Houston Alexander, but man did he turn it up here or what? Just great to see him come out ready for a war and he put up a hell of a fight and took the much deserved victory here. Dana White must be pissed though as this means no Liddel vs. Silva in December most likely.

Now the question is what do you do with Jardine and Griffin? Do you give Jardine and Griffin a rematch? It seems like it has to happen, especially coming of big wins in there career. It's a tough call to make but I want to see Griffin take on Silva in December which I know see is looking like the plan. That would be a great fight and there is more crowd appeal to that fight than say Jardine vs. Silva. I say give Alexander and Jardine a rematch. With a win over Chuck, Alexander might want to prove that his win over Jardine was not a fluke perhaps. I don't know, it is a crazy division right now with so many ways of looking at different options.

And reading over the thoughts here, I have to agree that Machida deserves the next title shot. I wouldn't be against seeing Griffin get his shot either as Griffin vs. Jackson would be very interesting. Two top marketable fighters going at it for the title could do some big business. Either way, Griffin vs. Jackson for the title or Griffin vs. Silva in December, I am all for it.

And I did horrible in the predictions. I got all zeros in the top three fights. I got the Machida fight exactly right, got 14 points for the Griffin/Tavares fight, and got five points for both Wellisch and Wiman winning. And then I got the Clementi fight wrong. Not to mention losing $2,705. <_<

Edited by Fitzy

Rampage wasn't scheduled to fight again until 08, so you wonder if they want for the winner of Forrest/Silva or perhaps put him in January or the Super Bowl card against Machida which has to be the #1 contender with the winner of that meeting the winner of Forrest/Silva. Jardine should fight Alexander next.

And my has my top 5 changed in the past 2 months.

Undisputed Champion: Quinton Jackson

1. Ryoto Machida

2. Shogun Rua

3. Forrest Griffin

4. Dan Henderson

5. Wanderlei Silva

That's just off the top of my head without real thought. Forrest would have been outside the top five but with his win he moves up and I can't really drop Rua that much which is why he remains ahead in my rankings. Liddell drops out, Jardine is probably just outside the top five. The winner of Rashad/Tito probably goes to #5 and moves past Wandy temp. Hendo looked good in his loss and doesn't move that far down and Machida jumps to the top by winning and having everyone else lose under him, lol.

IDEA OUT OF NOWHERE

Screw Forrest & Wandy... how about the Forrest/Machida fight we never got to see back at 72 for the #1 contendership!?

The UFC almost has another 170 logjam around that title situation. You've got Forrest/Jardine/Wandy/Machida right there; you've got Liddell and Rua outside looking in and everyone is forgetting Tito/Rashad are still there too. How long are they going to wait before Rampage defends his title again? January looks to be the right time but Wandy is fighting in December so he's likely out of it. Tito/Rashad are fighting in November so the winner could possibly be ready in January if they wanted to go that direction; Tito/Page would fight if the money was right and that would sell major tickets for the UFC. I think their super bowl card is supposed to be a huge huge deal which is why I don't think Machida will get that spot against Rampage. He's well known to hardcore fans but last night was his first fight on PPV in the UFC and while he beat a very good opponent none of the casual fans know who he is.

Seriously the more I think about it the more confused I get about what they're going to do.