MMA News and Discussion Thread

EBG, I read somewhere (I think the Observer) that it was a Jackson lookalike at Affliction, not really him.

Could be true, but if it wasn't for the looney tunes story, it would make sense if he was there.

Rampage just has a very serious god complex, obviously. I don't think it's anything to worry about, unless he goes Jim Jones on everyone.

I hope it's nothing to worry about. He's gone from street fighter, to God fearing fighter, now he thinks he is God. What the hell is next?

Also, Tito vs. Babalu at Affliction does nothing for me. Both guys still have fight in them, but Tito especially is so washed up. He's gotten too played out for my liking. There aren't many Tito Ortiz fights I'd still pay to watch. I hate hearing from the guy, with his bag of excuses and delusions of MMA supremacy. I can appreciate what he's done and what he could possibly still do. He needs to start looking elsewhere for training. I'm talking full time, not just for week or two training camps. He's the big dog in his training posse, he hasn't improved in years and his game hasn't shown that he can stay consistent or convincing against world class competition. The way he talks and conducts himself through the MMA media has gotten real stale. TUF proved he's a wise mind in the sport and comes off as a great mentor and trainer, but the whole Tito persona outside that is just annoying now.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'll get it, simply because I'm a Babalu fan. And he won't take none of lay and pray shit.

And crazedfan, overlooking Hendo, because lets face it he got stopped early against Silva so lets look at the other options for now. Michael Bisping, I'm English and as much as I love the guy, he wouldn't get out of round 2 or deep into round 3 if he did. He's not complete enough, Silva would take him down and tap him out.

Like he did to Hendo. Like he'll do to Okami more than likely.

I appreciate it's very hard to actually find opponents for Silva, and if they can make it much passed round 2 these days then you could probably call that "a very good challenge" but I honestly don't think anyone is even close to being able to take that Middleweight title. It would take an almighty good blow, just one, to get him. And I think that could possibly come from Bisping if he could connect with a few knees and just get a few through.

But.. nah. And the only reason I discounted Hendo is because he was tapped out not that long ago, but I appreciate that he may be one of the closest people to him.

And as a Nate the Great fan, I'd love to see him get a second chance and take a different plan. So that's what, Okami, Henderson and possibly Nate Marquadt as his closest competitors. Two of whom he beat pretty soundly. I dunno, I can't see Silva losing the title soon, but would much prefer to see him drop it and just go into 205 full time. He's exhausted his middleweight competition. Lets see him work his way for a Loyoto Machida fight, or a Liddell fight. That sort of stuff.

From the sounds of it, Silva at 205 will just be for money fights. For the time being, Anderson isn't going to completely waste a good thing at 185. EDIT: And yeah, he and Lyoto aren't going to fight each other.

With Cote next, Okami, Nate, then guys like Leites, Kampmann, etc, Filho eventually, possibly a Hendo rematch as well, it's not like he doesn't have anything going for him. By the time Anderson gets through those guys, if he keeps the title of course, who knows who'll break out by then or you the UFC will have at Middleweight. I'm really liking Gegard Mousasi over in Japan. He's got a nice place for himself in Dream at the time, but if he's on the market, I'd love to see the UFC go after him. Very impressed by him.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Shame, a few fights and wins at 205 and Anderson Silva against Lyoto Machida would be epic. Absolutely phenomenal.

And I guess I just want to see Anderson take on the best at 205 while he's in his prime like this, rather than fighting Cote, Okami, Nate again, Henderson again, whoever and winning like he does. He is obscenely good, and some matches at 205 would look epic.

I don't know if I want to see him lose a new 'break out star' in 2 years time when he's 35. Maybe it's the casual fan in me but I want to see him fight a big name at 205, get a massive fight on the go with someone. Something massive.

And agreed, Mousasi is great. It's a shame it's all business, and there isn't more co operation between stars. Because we'd love to see everyone share talent. It'd make Fedor vs. Randy in a cage possible, it'd make Shinya Aoki vs. Sean Sherk at lightweight a possibility, and stuff like that. It's a shame there seperated, because at the end of the day this isn't professional wrestling - it's legitimate and the fighters want to fight the best there is, and if thats somewhere else i'm sure they don't want to be tied down. No true professional fighter should be looking at the person ranked above them and saying "ooh I dont want to fight him" they should be wanting to do everything they can to hunt them down.

Silva is 7-0 in the UFC and no one has even got out of the 2nd round against him. I don't think theres anyone that can touch him at Middleweight, so he could in theory.. retire with that title to his name. It's probably the most likely way someone can get that belt off him.

I love the idea of Anderson staying at 185 and moving up for superfights only. For now. 205 is too bloated and it's kind of a mess. Wandy, Chuck, Lyoto, hopefully Rampage, Shogun when he comes back, Jardine is still in the mix (beaten 2 of the last 3 champs) and Vera who moved down. On top of that you still have guys like Thiago Silva and Rashad Evans who could possibly be contenders soon. I'm probably missing a few guys too. Having Anderson would be great and it wouldn't be that hard to make room for him because he is that damn good, but there is already so much going on without him.

Like I said, Anderson seems more than willing to defend his title and take the odd 205 fight for big money. For right now, I love that situation. When things start to settle and the competition starts to thing out, then it will be the perfect time for Anderson.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

On Middleweight Title contender talk still, look no further than Demian Maia. He should have a real good shot at actually providing some decent competition to Silva. And he's finally on the main card of a PPV at 87 against Jason MacDonald, so people will start to get to know him. Maybe one or two more high profile wins, and he'll probably be getting a title shot. He's an ADCC champion and probably has the best MMA-style jiu-jitsu and has, next to Okami, the best chance at beating Silva in my opinion.

There will always be challengers for every title, it's just Anderson is so dominant, people say there's nobody to challenge him. By the time he fights Okami, which will probably be early next year, there will be plenty of other fighters ready for a title shot. Someone like Bisping, who probably only needs one more fight after Leben, provided he wins, someone like Thales Leites, etc. Whether they'll provide a challenge is pure speculation until the fight happens. It's easy to count out someone like Bisping before the fight takes place, but you never know what can happen. I think the best chance someone has at beating Anderson is getting a quick, flash submission like Chonan did, I don't think anybody's going to knock him out. That's why I like someone like Maia or Palhares, guys who are extremely proficient at BJJ and have been able to convert it successfully to MMA. And yes, I do know Anderson is a black belt.

Edited by crazedfan

Thing is Bisping isn't even that sure to take out Leben. There's still a massive possibility he's going to get knocked out with a big shot. For me to be a proper contender against Silva, you have to be easily the second best in the division, and have pretty much beaten everyone or everyone has to recognise that they would beat a close contender.

That's why I'm not sold on Bisping. If he can beat Leben convincingly and then register a win over a close contender (say he were to beat an Okami or Nate or whoever in his next fight, then I'd maybe be sold on him a bit more. But not now.

I love Maia. His BJJ is on another level. I don't know what type of fighter he'll turn into for sure, but training is so complete and efficient these days that I'd be stupid myself not to think he's working his ass off to go from ADCC ace to rounded MMA fighter. He's looked very good so far, he should only be getting better. I'd say there's still a lot of proving to done in order to being considered for the belt. I like Leben or Bisping as next opponents for him if he looks good against MacDonald. And I think those are good opponents to prove himself right now, guys like Leben and MacDonald. Not necessarily consistent fighters, but tough, experienced, and by no means pushovers. Let's say he beats MacDonald, if he can rattle of two more wins against similar caliber opponents, then it's time for a step up in competition.

I'd love to see Maia vs. Lister. Grappling clinic.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Again, doube post. I should really check the news sites before I make my first post of the day. My bad.

Both news bits stolen from MMANews.com

Rampage Update, fires Juanito, return date?

The following is from an article on SI.com in which Josh Gross talks about Quinton "Rampage" Jackson firing his manager and trainer Juanito Ibarra and how Jackson could return in November for a third fight with Wanderlei Silva, pending mental state

Everything, save the pact between Jackson and Ibarra. With defeat as the impetus, Jackson responded to rough terrain by relieving the trainer of his duties, though "bottom line, somehow, someway it all involves money," said the fighter's friend.

As an Aug. 15 court date approaches for the 30-year-old father of four, a search for a new representation is underway. And, though he is only two weeks removed from an incident that allegedly sent pedestrians scurrying for their lives, the UFC is said to be interested in a November return for Rampage with a third fight against Silva.

His appearance in the cage will depend primarily on his mental state. But, as Jackson says himself, everything happens for a reason.

Also, Old UFC>New EXC

Spike TV sent along the following release:

Need proof the UFC is the preeminent mixed martial arts brand in the world? On Saturday, July 26, more men 18-34 watched a repeat…a repeat…of a UFC event on Spike TV than a LIVE telecast of a Pro EliteXC championship card on CBS. Despite being available in over 17 million more homes, Spike TV drew 27% more Men 18-34 for a re-broadcast of “UFC 84: Penn vs. Sherk” from (9:00-12:00am ET/PT) than CBS’s live show (9:00-11:00pm). Spike TV’s telecast tallied 433,000 Men 18-34 to CBS’s 341,000.

Overall, “UFC 84: Penn vs. Sherk” drew higher ratings than Pro EliteXC in Men 18-49 (1.5 to 1.3) and Men 18-34 (1.5 and 1.0).

Reminiscent of the XFL’s rating collapse years ago, the CBS telecast was 69% lower in Men 18-34 and 57% lower with Men 18-49 than its initial broadcast on CBS in May featuring the “He Hate Me” of MMA, Kimbo Slice.

Compared to last week’s live Spike TV UFC telecast featuring arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the world, Anderson Silva, the UFC outdrew CBS by 165% with Men 18-34, 82% with Men 18-49, and 21% with total viewers.

It was an inspired effort for EXC to try and follow up with Lawler/Smith II, but EXC cannot sell diddly without Kimbo Slice. CBS gotta eat and Robbie Lawler isn't going to feed them on Prime Time Network television.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Apparently James Irvin has tested positive for two drugs. Both that can be prescribed as painkillers but neither approved by NSAC.

Facing a possible suspension and $20,000 fine. Although you would probably contest the ruling just on the basis that looking like you've taken drugs before a fight which you then got knocked out in just over a minute in isn't a good look to have.

Justin Levens failed for Oxymorphone. The cut-off line is 120 ng/mL. He tested at 10,141 ng/mL. That is not a typo. Ten thousand one hundred and forty one.

I don't know who that is, but I found that funny. I guess he's with Affliction? I haven't seen their debut yet, just the highlights on the MMA weekly news show that HDNet has. Was the Fedor/Sylvia fight as quick as it looked? :P I'm guessing so.

Anyway, since I don't think there's a general MMA question/whatever thread yet, I was looking to buy the Ultimate Fighter 1 today, but it doesn't say what's included. Obviously the whole show is, and I'm guessing the finals on the UFN, but is the whole UFN included? Basically, is it worth the $20 they're asking for?

I don't know who that is, but I found that funny. I guess he's with Affliction? I haven't seen their debut yet, just the highlights on the MMA weekly news show that HDNet has. Was the Fedor/Sylvia fight as quick as it looked? :P I'm guessing so.

The Fedor/Tim fight was a highlight package in itself. Chances are they showed the whole fight and it just looked like highlights. The whole thing was 36 seconds long.

I was browsing over Fedor's record, in his 28 wins, 17 of them have come inside of five minutes. Ten of them finished inside two minutes. Four wins under a minute, with about three or four more not too far over a minute. 21 of his wins have been stoppages. Pretty impressive.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy