MMA News and Discussion Thread

But who does GSP go against then? Sanchez?

I have no idea.

Sanchez looks ready for a shot, but I don't think he can beat GSP. Koscheck/St. Pierre 2 wouldn't be out of the question either. Biggz didn't say anything about the Welterweight Champion, so I have no idea what's going on with him.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
RDS, a French language sports network based in Montreal reported this morning a Dec. 5 date at the Bell Centre in Montreal for UFC, headlined by Georges St. Pierre which was reported in Bryan's morning update.

However, we have been unable to confirm any such date with UFC and had been told last week such a show, which was under consideration for December, although we never got a date, was "unlikely."

St. Pierre's people told us they had not even heard of a show on that date and they are still working out a date for his next fight.

We will update with any confirmation yay or nay from UFC if a show is planned.

Has RDS ever broken any story not related to the Habs? :shifty:

Also, does this mean RDS has an MMA show, possibly hosted by Marc Blondin and Sylvan Grenier? I must investigate!

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Bill Douglas of the California State Athletic Commission released that B samples have been returned positive for one fighter on both the July 19 Affliction show in Anaheim and the July 26 Elite XC CBS card in Stockton.

The names will be released tomorrow after notification of the promotions and fighters. Douglas also announced Fabio Negao and Matt Lindland on the Affliction show are clear, as are Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith on the Elite XC show.

Anyone have any bets? Tim Sylvia?

Bill Douglas of the California State Athletic Commission released that B samples have been returned positive for one fighter on both the July 19 Affliction show in Anaheim and the July 26 Elite XC CBS card in Stockton.

The names will be released tomorrow after notification of the promotions and fighters. Douglas also announced Fabio Negao and Matt Lindland on the Affliction show are clear, as are Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith on the Elite XC show.

Anyone have any bets? Tim Sylvia?

Would he be dumb enough to do it again?

Queue up the Brett Rogers complaining now. I'm behind the guy 100%. He's the best Heavyweight they have, in my mind. Why he wasn't involved in a fight to determine the first Champion is beyond me. I'm surprised he's still with EliteXC... what with the Kimbo fiasco, and now this. They seem to know just which buttons to push to piss him off... so I wouldn't be surprised to be reading an article about how mad he is in the next few days.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
--K.J. Noons vs. Nick Diaz is a dead issue. Noons' management team turned down the match, claiming Diaz should not be the top contender. Elite XC is trying to put together its complete lineup for 10/4 on CBS with title matches, so Diaz will now fight on the 11/8 Showtime card.

This made me wonder who they *would* consider the top contender - then I realized, who am I to doubt El Dandy?

Noons turning away a fight with Nick Diaz only happens for one reason:

KJ Noons is scared.

Nick Diaz is a fucking machine when he's motivated, and there's no doubt in my mind he'd wipe the floor with Noons this go around.

I like KJ Noons, but seriously, if Nick Diaz isn't a top contender, then no one is. Buck up KJ, buddy, and face the reaper. Turning down this fight is going to haunt him the rest of his career, or until he finally gives in and we get a fight that should be happening in the next month or two.

--K.J. Noons vs. Nick Diaz is a dead issue. Noons' management team turned down the match, claiming Diaz should not be the top contender. Elite XC is trying to put together its complete lineup for 10/4 on CBS with title matches, so Diaz will now fight on the 11/8 Showtime card.

This made me wonder who they *would* consider the top contender - then I realized, who am I to doubt El Dandy?

They consider Eddie Alvarez the number one contender.

"I would think Eddie Alvarez is the No. 1 contender," Dion said. "He's definitely ranked higher than Nick Diaz. KJ already beat Nick Diaz."

While Alvarez is currently unavailable due to taking personal time off, Dion does not feel that is reason to arrange a rematch with Diaz.

"Eddie Alvarez is getting married, but that's not our problem," Dion said. "People get married in five or 10 minutes."

Also they say this about Diaz:

"As far as Nick Diaz, he's not the No. 1 contender out there," Dion said. "To [EliteXC] he is. He's the number one (for getting) eyeballs to (watch) them. They're pushing on eyeballs versus a career move for a champion like KJ. KJ is really not the one who gets anything out of the fight. Diaz does and so does ProElite."

Here's the problem I have with that...

This is an EliteXC show... and it's an EliteXC Championship he's defending. KJ Noons shouldn't be able to say "No, I beat him already. He's the number one guy that they have under contract, but he's not the number one guy in the world... so no."

KJ Noons is not Randy Couture... and Randy Couture pulling that kind of shit wasn't met with very favorable reaction from the fans.

Ken Shamrock (Pictures) will be the fourth man to face Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (Pictures) when the two icons clash at EliteXC’s third installment of “Saturday Night Fights” Oct. 4 at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. The headlining bout will anchor a live broadcast on CBS.

Sherdog.com confirmed the bout’s signing with multiple parties aware of the fight, while a press release is expected to circulate later today with the news.

The 44-year-old Shamrock (26-13-2) beat out fellow candidates Sean Gannon and Brett Rogers (Pictures), who called out Slice in May, for the coveted slot.

Shamrock, a 15-year veteran of the game who made his storied Octagon debut at UFC 1 in November 1993, has dropped his last five bouts in a row since 2005, including a lackluster showing against brawler Robert Berry (Pictures) at Cage Rage 25 last March.

However, “The World’s Most Dangerous Man” exudes substantial selling power for a match now only five and a half weeks away. A strong personality in and out of the cage, Shamrock’s 15 appearances in the UFC earned him international recognition alongside his original nemesis Royce Gracie (Pictures).

Slice (3-0) earned a third-round victory against Brit James Thompson (Pictures) in his last foray for EliteXC in May. The bout was much criticized for its questionable officiating, placing Ferguson’s skill set in doubt after Thompson held the advantage for sizable stretches of the 11-minute contest. Ferguson holds previous wins over David "Tank" Abbott (Pictures) and Bo Cantrell (Pictures).

Taken straight from Sherdog! That's right Shammy will be taking on Kimbo. While I love Ken Shamrock and I hope he breaks Kimbo's ankle in half, it seems as if Elite is playing the dodging game with Kimbo still. Who was he originally rumored to face in October?

There were rumblings of a fight with Brett "the Grim" Rogers, but they want to keep the two separate for as long as possible, because Rogers is just as good as Kimbo at what Kimbo does, and he's miles better than Slice at everything else.

Ken Shamrock is essentially just a big name that will likely get his face pounded in, which is the selling point for Kimbo Slice.

I can see Shamrock catching him with a submission though, so I still think this is a dangerous fight for Mr. Ferguson.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The top ten cities in the world for per capita UFC 87 buyrates, in order:

Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Honolulu, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Las Vegas and Ottawa

Fuck yeah Canada. (H)

The top ten cities in the world for per capita UFC 87 buyrates, in order:

Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Honolulu, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Las Vegas and Ottawa

Fuck yeah Canada. (H)

Wow.

I knew MMA was very popular here, but if that is amazing to see.

A source close to Randy Couture has confirmed today that Couture is in negotiations with UFC for a new three-fight deal which would end the nearly nine month legal battle between the two sides.

If the deal is closed, and the source said they are hoping to conclude negotiations and announce the match sometime within the next week, Couture would face Brock Lesnar on 11/15, most likely in Portland, Oregon. There are still minor problems involving tax issues that have kept finalzing the Rose Garden as the venue on that date, but UFC sources on Thursday expected the deal would conclude.

Couture was said to be hoping that if everything went well, the next two fights could involve Fedor Emelianenko, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and/or Chuck Liddell. However, all the previous hang-ups involving Emelianenko and UFC remain.

It had been rumored heavily the past few days about a Couture vs. Lesnar fight in Portland, as a one-fight deal to settle the legal issues. But the talks involve a contract where both sides would expect Couture to legitimately retire as a UFC fighter.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/6567/124/

Lesnar vs. Couture?! Oh heck yeah~!

EDIT- And holy shit about Halifax being on that list....maybe now UFC will come here (:shifty:)

Edited by KCC