MMA News and Discussion Thread

Interesting anecdote from Wrestling Observer Radio earlier in the week. Meltzer was talking with one of the high-ups in UFC a decade ago around the time Canadian PPV providers had pulled the company's cards from their schedules. He asked about the extent to which losing Canada was going to hurt them and the guy said "Canada is a quarter of our business." Surely someone at the athletic commission in Ontario must see these numbers and realise that Canadians (and more specifically Ontarians) love this sport? I mean if Ottawa is in the top 10 in total buys, surely there are some MP's ordering the cards. :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Interesting anecdote from Wrestling Observer Radio earlier in the week. Meltzer was talking with one of the high-ups in UFC a decade ago around the time Canadian PPV providers had pulled the company's cards from their schedules. He asked about the extent to which losing Canada was going to hurt them and the guy said "Canada is a quarter of our business." Surely someone at the athletic commission in Ontario must see these numbers and realise that Canadians (and more specifically Ontarians) love this sport? I mean if Ottawa is in the top 10 in total buys, surely there are some MP's ordering the cards. :shifty:

Sven Robinson :shifty:

But yeah, I don't understand why the OAC won't regulate it. I don't think half-assed shows will stop popping up all over the place, and this'll more likely *stop* the occasional shows you hear about on Six Nations or another reserve.

Plus UFC could probably sell out the SkyDome.

I'm fine with Lesnar getting the title shot just because this is the closest the US is going to get to a tournament and in the UFC heavyweight division, you may as well put Brock in since he's a guy people will actually pay to see.

And in the end, either Randy or Brock (hint: Brock, since this is the fight where I'll finally be right picking against Randy!) is going to get tapped by Nogueira.

This is kind of an awkward match up for Couture in my opinion. Lesnar is the biggest anybody is going to get in the Heavyweight division and Coutoure is just about the smallest. He's faced big opponents before like Sylvia however he was tall and not built like Lesnar. Despite the experince advantage I could see Lesnar just smothering him on the ground.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
If Brock doesn't knock him out in the first round, Couture is taking it.

On what basis, exactly?

My thinking is that Brock can basically smother Randy the way he did Herring...it's up to Randy to use his veteran savvy to take advantage of a mistake Brock makes, which could come in any round. I don't see Brock winning by KO at all...either Brock wins by decision, or Randy wins by submission.

Agreed. I think Brock is a lot quicker and has more stamina than some people give credit for and a guy that size and that fast is almost unstoppable to control. Lesnar most likely will get the takedown and his strikes are already improving at an alarming rate. If he can land some heavy shots either standing or from the floor, then he could stun Couture and just play it easy for a points win.

He'll definitely struggle against Nogueira though if he gets past Couture. He might even keep it standing to avoid his A-Grade ground game.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

Lesnar has the power to KO Couture. He'll land a few good shots, but Couture knows how to trade with big men. If it goes to the ground, Lesnar will basically have his way due to his freakish strength. The only way I see Couture winning is by pulling out a kamora, Americana or a rear naked choke. He just has to be able to slow Lesnar down in order to pull one out.

If Brock doesn't knock him out in the first round, Couture is taking it.

On what basis, exactly?

My thinking is that Brock can basically smother Randy the way he did Herring...it's up to Randy to use his veteran savvy to take advantage of a mistake Brock makes, which could come in any round. I don't see Brock winning by KO at all...either Brock wins by decision, or Randy wins by submission.

Because Brock Lesnar has had 3 professional fights and he's facing Randy Couture. Brock's gone past round 1 once and that was in a fight he was in complete control of. There's no guarentee he's even got the stamina to go 5 rounds, especially in a fight which he won't be in complete control. Why is that? Because Couture knows how to handle larger opponents, whereas Brock has very little experience against smaller opponents. I really can't see this fight going 5 rounds without Randy coming out the winner. Brock will have to knock him out and do it early.

But at the rate at which Lesnar is improving its hard to say how good he'll be by November, not to mention he's got dozens of tapes to study of Couture whereas Randy will struggle to know a lot about Lesnar other than his wrestling, both being from a similar background.

That's what's going to be interesting though in my eyes, that everyone will struggle to call it. It's a one off scenario that isn't seen very often at all in MMA. Aging (not that you'd know it) Legend against Potential World Beater. No-one's sure how the fight will go or be approached, not even Randy himself yet if you listen to his Q & A. Biggest UFC Heavyweight fight for a looong time I think.

This is probably the biggest fight out there at the minute for casual fans.

But at the rate at which Lesnar is improving its hard to say how good he'll be by November, not to mention he's got dozens of tapes to study of Couture whereas Randy will struggle to know a lot about Lesnar other than his wrestling, both being from a similar background.

That's what's going to be interesting though in my eyes, that everyone will struggle to call it. It's a one off scenario that isn't seen very often at all in MMA. Aging (not that you'd know it) Legend against Potential World Beater. No-one's sure how the fight will go or be approached, not even Randy himself yet if you listen to his Q & A. Biggest UFC Heavyweight fight for a looong time I think.

This is probably the biggest fight out there at the minute for casual fans.

Nah, this is big to everyone except the Sherdog morons who scream 'FEDOR FEDOR FEDOR'. This fight will be far bigger than Couture/Fedor would be.

Sadly for UFC, I think it's official that no one cares about any shows from then until now including this next season of TUF.

I don't like it. I can't stand it. Lesnar has fought 2 fights in the UFC, losing one. Sure, he's talented/has potential and he's coming off a victory, but in no way should be in a title fight already. It's degrading to the other fighters in better situations.

Why? And just what other fighters deserve title shots in the Heavyweight division? And if they do, would they be marketable?

It's all about MONEY. UFC is a BUSINESS.

I don't like it. I can't stand it. Lesnar has fought 2 fights in the UFC, losing one. Sure, he's talented/has potential and he's coming off a victory, but in no way should be in a title fight already. It's degrading to the other fighters in better situations.

Why? And just what other fighters deserve title shots in the Heavyweight division? And if they do, would they be marketable?

Exactly my thoughts. Brock is coming off a dominating performance against one of the top heavyweights in the UFC. There's no one else in the division that can compare to Couture's popularity other than Lesnar. So that equals a big draw. Plus, no one else in the division is coming off a huge win either. Other than Ganzaga, who already had a shot at Couture, there's really no one deserving of a title shot. With Lesnar, you get a very interesting match-up and a very big draw.

Plus, didn't Nog get a title shot after a decision victory Herring? Why can't Lesnar get one too?

No shit, no need to say it like you're talking to a moron.

Sure, UFC is a business and about money, but it is also a sport. This has always been a sport, from day 1. Right now Dana is doing with Lesnar what he snarled at Elite doing with Slice.