MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I think it will be their biggest-drawing event ever, I don't see how this won't top Ortiz/Liddell II. Couture is the one guy who has as much name value and credibility as those two, and Lesnar will draw in casual fans. Plus it seems like it'll get a ton of mainstream hype.

Hey, a win is a win. Doesn't really matter how you win, as long as you do.

You'd think so... but believing in that mentality as a fighter can lead to someone becoming happy with winning in boring fights. You say, "so what, he's still winning..." right? Wrong. If people don't want to see someone fight, no matter how much they win, the UFC as a business steps in and puts a stop to it. It doesn't make any business sense to bore people to death.

Exciting fighters with 50/50 records are much more likely to draw people's attention than a guy with a spectacular record, who's fights are 15 minutes of blah.

Lesnar is explosive enough that it's unlikely he'll fall into that category. He wasn't just laying on top of Herring for 15 minutes. He was laying on him and pounding the shit out of him. That shit is entertaining.

Hey, a win is a win. Doesn't really matter how you win, as long as you do.

You'd think so... but believing in that mentality as a fighter can lead to someone becoming happy with winning in boring fights. You say, "so what, he's still winning..." right? Wrong. If people don't want to see someone fight, no matter how much they win, the UFC as a business steps in and puts a stop to it. It doesn't make any business sense to bore people to death.

Exciting fighters with 50/50 records are much more likely to draw people's attention than a guy with a spectacular record, who's fights are 15 minutes of blah.

Lesnar is explosive enough that it's unlikely he'll fall into that category. He wasn't just laying on top of Herring for 15 minutes. He was laying on him and pounding the shit out of him. That shit is entertaining.

I'm not saying winning in a boring fashion should be rewarded at all. All I'm saying is even though Brock layed on Herring for 3 rounds, he still won the fight. And winning by laying on your opponent still adds to the number to your win column.

I agree with EXC's decision to strip Noons. As champion, Noons should have to fight who ever the organization thinks is the top contender. Not who Noons thinks is the top contender. And also about the complaint of being under payed, thats Noons' fault. He signed a contract for a number of fights for a certain amount each bout. He should honor the contract and when his fights are up, renegotiate for a bigger payday.

Anderson Silva pondering retirement?

Anderson Silva is saying that he is going to retire:

"I'll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don't need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I'll put my gloves aside."

To say that I'm shocked is an understatement. Silva currently sits atop the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound rankings, and is one of the best fighters in MMA's short history. His well-rounded game has forced other fighters to advance their technique to merely attempt to compete with him. His retirement, if he actually follows through, would leave a definite hole in the sport.

So what does that mean for the year? Are his next fights going to be the Anderson Silva farewell tour? His next fight is against Patrick Cote at UFC 90 on October 25 in Chicago. If he is serious about retiring, Silva could make it official there.

He has talked in the past about getting in the boxing ring and could bring a cadre of fans with him. Though he has been a UFC company man, doing whatever Dana White asked of him, Silva's possible entry into the ranks of the sweet science could be a dream-come-true for the Affliction/Golden Boy partnership. Of course, he could also truly put his gloves aside, sit back, relax and enjoy some golf. I hear that's what other retired athletes like to do.

Edited by maninblack

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The top ten markets, per capita, for UFC 88 (in order):

Winnipeg, Halifax, Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto, Las Vegas, Atlanta and Los Angeles

:D

Also, there's rumours of Shogun Rua vs. Mark Coleman on 1/31.

Edited by Mr. Potato Head