MMA News and Discussion Thread

Alistair Overeem is a cocky motherfucker. Although, I agree with him that the second "low blow" didn't even connect to the groin.

Mousasi's upkick to win the Middleweight Grand Prix fucking owned, though.

On an unrelated note, where can I buy Joachim Hansen's "Hellboy" shirt? It's fucking sweet.

Alistair Overeem is a cocky motherfucker. Although, I agree with him that the second "low blow" didn't even connect to the groin.

He did maul a veteran mind - I think Cro Cop, despite what he says, was lucky to escape with a NC.

The commentators purportedly said Cro Cop's right testicle went inside him from one of the kicks... oh dear.

On an unrelated note, where can I buy Joachim Hansen's "Hellboy" shirt? It's fucking sweet.

I've not found it mate, Pride doesn't shit internationally either :/

Nothing major, but Brian Stann vs. Steve Cantwell will rematch for a third time, this time in UFC at the Fight For Our Troops December 10th show (Zuffa officially will end the LHW and MW divisions on the December 3rd WEC show). This makes sense due to Stann being a marine so it's a great way for him to debut with UFC. And he is now training with Greg Jackson so that's a great camp change for him, too.

And in WEC news, Miguel Torres will defend the WEC Bantamweight title against Manny Tapia on December 3. Should be a good fight. MMAWeekly also mentions that they are considering doing a fight with Faber vs. Torres. That's something I'd love to see.

Edited by Fitzy

Would Urijah Faber make it in the UFC? I have a strong feeling he would and that he is past due to be called up to the big leagues. Opinions?

Well, do you mean aside from the fact that he'd be moving up a weight class and would be undersized? I think he's got a well-rounded enough game and strong enough wrestling to do all right, but I don't think he would fare very well against the top 10 or so lightweights in UFC.

I'm interested for the freak show aspect. And the undercard.

I'll be hoping for a Shamrock submission victory, as well as what is potentially a good undercard, and what should be another Andrei Arlovski KO/TKO victory on his way back to being considered one of the top Heavyweights in the world.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

...no. I want Kimbo to win. Not because I'm a fan of his (I'm not), but because I am a fan of MMA, and the guy who beats Kimbo had better have some sort of upside.

UFC announced on January 17th (the same day as Affliction's next show...) they'll be going back to Ireland, this time in Dublin. On the slate right now is:

Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson @ Light Heavyweight.

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Mark Coleman @ Heavyweight.

Edited by crazedfan

If its in Ireland, it means its a free show over here, right?

Depends, really.

If the card is good enough (which it looks like it is), it should be on PPV, but running opposed to Affliction, UFC's going to want to steal as many viewers as possible, which means free tv.

I'd lean more towards it being on SpikeTV, but wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being a PPV.

UFC 92 (the year end, December show in Las Vegas) currently features:

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir (UFC Heavyweight Titlte)

Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans (UFC Light Heavyweight Title)

Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva

Plus Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister, in what I would assume is a #1 contender's fight to see who challenges Anderson Silva next.

UFC 92 looks like it's going to be ace, and I hope to have Setanta sorted out by then. I'd love for Silva to do the trilogy over Rampage "Wanderlei Silva is a fucking coward" Jackson and then really test Rashad Evans stand up ability.

As for 93, I'd love for Coleman to get another win over Rua. Everyone, myself included, have written off his UFC return and it would be great to see him get another win in the octagon.