MMA News and Discussion Thread

So Ken and Frank Shamrock have both signed to fight each other some time in 2009. And GSP thinks he'd be able to give Anderson Silva a good fight.

Shamrock vs. Shamrock

Frank Shamrock recently spoke to ESPN.com about the fight:

"We've both signed a contract to fight each other. Ken is down with it. We talked about it two years ago, and we've agreed materially to fight. The fight has a cool hook. Brothers beating each other up. Everyone wants to see that.

"[EliteXC] are talking about doing it and we're interested in the fight. It's a storyline everyone can relate to, Cain versus Abel."

Ken Shamrock also gave his opinion on the fight:

"Will the fight happen? Absolutely. He's got a buttkicking coming to him. Everything I've learned, everything I have bottled up in me, is going to come out on him. I've still got love for Frank, but I'm angry at him.

"I think [our dad would] root for both of us. But I think he's disappointed in the way Frank has acted to him. My dad loves us both, but I think he'd like to see Frank taught a lesson.

"I'm a fighter, he's a fighter. He feels he's better than me, but I always spanked him in the gym. Now he wants to show me. I figured he'd wait until I was 50 years old, but I guess he's waiting until I turn 45."

From ESPN.com

GSP vs. Silva

"A lot of people have been challenging me so far. I have a lot of friends at 185. To tell you the truth, I'm not afraid of challenging nobody at 185. I'm very confident in myself.

"I think I can do pretty well (against Silva). I think I'm a different fighter than all the guys who have fought him in the past. There's only one way to find out.

"It's a fight that everybody wants to see, including myself."

MMAWeekly.com

'...not afraid of challenging nobody..." So he's afraid of challenging everybody?

Anyone watch UFC 89?

Not great but was rooting for Bisping. Wasn't entirely dominating but paced himself well and generally picked Leben apart without ever having the knockout threat. Definitely not ready for Anderson on this showing though.

Funny moment when Leben was dropping his hands at the end of the fight trying to get Bisping to punch him. So Bisping throws a head kick.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

Where does this leave Leben? I am a fan so in my eyes a loss isn't much to me, but I know to UFC and many others Leben isn't living up to UFC standards.

Leben is probably fine. Bisping is on his way up the middleweight division, so it's not like it's a loss to some can.

On top of that, you have to remember that Bisping's gameplan was to let Leben come at him aggressively, and counter. Because Bisping's boxing is so good, Leben's only real chance to win the fight would have been to do something that was uncharacteristic of himself... either take it to the mat, or sit tight and force Bisping to be the aggressor.

When they made the fight, I'm sure they banked on Leben coming at him full force, but again, with the five inch reach and Bisping's boxing skills... they probably had a good idea that this would be the outcome. Leben will likely get some fights that are better suited to his brawling style while he continues to work on his all-around game... but I don't see them cutting him loose.

Where does this leave Leben? I am a fan so in my eyes a loss isn't much to me, but I know to UFC and many others Leben isn't living up to UFC standards.

Leben is probably fine. Bisping is on his way up the middleweight division, so it's not like it's a loss to some can.

On top of that, you have to remember that Bisping's gameplan was to let Leben come at him aggressively, and counter. Because Bisping's boxing is so good, Leben's only real chance to win the fight would have been to do something that was uncharacteristic of himself... either take it to the mat, or sit tight and force Bisping to be the aggressor.

When they made the fight, I'm sure they banked on Leben coming at him full force, but again, with the five inch reach and Bisping's boxing skills... they probably had a good idea that this would be the outcome. Leben will likely get some fights that are better suited to his brawling style while he continues to work on his all-around game... but I don't see them cutting him loose.

That's what I was thinking/hoping. I don't think Leben has anywhere to go from here but up. I'm not saying Leben will one day be champion, it's a long shot, but he looked damn good out there. He looked paces, more focused, and less street-ish in his fighting. Like they kept saying, he looked to be in his best shape ever.

I'm excited to see what's next for him.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I just watched the first-ever UFC, and it was definitely interesting. Obviously neither the fighters nor the production levels were anywhere near today's standards, but it was interesting to see that show and try to watch it with no idea of what it would become.

I also loved the commentary team of NFL hall of famer Jim Brown, a girl, the guy who found John Belushi dead in his apartment, and a guy Wikipedia has no info on.

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And some breaking news...Meltzer's reporting that CBS has pulled out of talks to purchase EliteXC, and EXC fighters have been told that the company's about to go out of business.

:(

So I just watched the first-ever UFC, and it was definitely interesting. Obviously neither the fighters nor the production levels were anywhere near today's standards, but it was interesting to see that show and try to watch it with no idea of what it would become.

I also loved the commentary team of NFL hall of famer Jim Brown, a girl, the guy who found John Belushi dead in his apartment, and a guy Wikipedia has no info on.

I do love their total ignorance of jiu jitsu. 'Why is he tapping out? He's on his feet, what's that guy doing to him? I DON'T UNDERSTAND?!'

If you've got the double pack you should definitely watch number 2. Just for Fred Ettish. But yeah, I love going back to that show, and not just because Bill Wallace calls the event (I think) by the wrong name and burps on camera in about 5 seconds after going live. Some of the fights are brutal (I'm talking Gordeaus impromptu dentistry and Rosiers head stamps). Be honest, before you had any knowledge of the Gracie family, would you have put money on Royce to win it? :D Mine was on the boxer with one glove. :shifty:

Edited by Zombie Jesus

Wow, I guess I was right when I said RIP EliteXC a few weeks back. However, it ended up being less about the Petruzelli win, and more about his comments on that radio show. He sure did fuck over that poor company.

Oh well, I guess this means there's some good free agents out there now who can head to UFC (or Affliction, but my interest in that company died when they announced the MMA/boxing hybrid idea). Here's hoping for a women's division somewhere.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

But you're forgetting that a lot of those guys went to EXC in the first place because UFC didn't want them. Maybe a couple will get picked up, but the vast majority will continue to flounder unless a viable #2 promotion opens up.

I would love to see Eddie Alvarez go to the 155 division but I think he'd like to still compete in Japan. I'd also like to see Nick Diaz return to UFC but I don't think he would want to compete at 170 again and couldn't cut to 155 so I don't think he has a place there.

Jake Shields should definitely be brought in.

Not that I care for Kimbo or anything, but I wonder where this leaves him. Same for Gina Carano. UFC doesn't have women's MMA, but now with the door opened for Gina, maybe they'll rethink that? Who knows, but probably not. Or if not UFC, maybe add the to WEC?

Rafael Feijao Cavalcante might be a good addition too, but the light heavyweight division is way too crowded, and WEC is dropping that division, so I don't think he really has a spot in UFC right now.

I also wouldn't mind seeing both Lawler and Smith return.

Jake Shields is the only guy from Elite that I can imagine the UFC really want to pick up immediately. Outside of that, I imagine Nick Diaz will get another chance in the future and that's about it. The UFC have no interest in a women's division and I doubt the fact that Gina is now a free agent is going to change that, the UFC don't go out of their way to build a division around one person like Elite did, particularly when that person isn't the best in their division (I'd rank Cyborg and LaRosa above Gina).

But you're forgetting that a lot of those guys went to EXC in the first place because UFC didn't want them. Maybe a couple will get picked up, but the vast majority will continue to flounder unless a viable #2 promotion opens up.

This is true, but I'm sure some of them have improved, and even if they haven't, you have a bunch of fighters coming off of CBS exposure.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

True, but UFC's already forced to put on far too many shows to get everyone some fights, why add to that misery? You'll see them pick up some combination of Shields/Lawler/Herman/Rogers, but that might be it.