MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Pumpkin Head

So anybody see UFC 90?

Koscheck/Alves and Griffin/Sherk were exciting, as was Werdum/Dos Santos because it was over so quickly, but the other two matches were pretty bad. It's a shame that Cote blew out his knee, but hopefully we never get subjected to a rematch, because Silva outclassed him so badly and it was so boring.

I know that Cote had lost both rounds, but the longer he dragged that fight out the better the chance of Silva slipping up for a moment and Cote landing the crazy one punch knockout blow. And he wasn't in any danger whatsoever. I happen to believe that someone capable of taking the middleweight champion the farthest he's been in a fight in almost four years deserves a rematch. And fuck the Chicago crowd (a city they should never go back to, because of much more than just their reaction to the main event), I enjoyed the chess match aspect of this fight: Silva trying to get a read on Cote's movements, Cote realising this and going completely off the grid, and the mind games being played back and forth. In fact, it was a shame the fight didn't go further. All in all a disappointing finish to what was a very strong card.

I dunno. Everyone keeps saying Silva wasn't even trying, but I saw him try a lot of things that Cote brushed off and escaped because he was better mentally prepared than any of Silva's recent opponents. I think it's entirely possible that Silva, who has become accustomed to early knockouts, might have become more offense oriented and left himself open to the one game changing strike for Cote. I'm not saying the fight was going Cote's way, but to say that the fight was wrapped up after two rounds that Silva won but didn't dominate is a little presumptuous. If Cote had looked completely outclassed then fine, but I don't think he looked any more outclassed than Franklin, Henderson or Marquardt. It's the least convincing win of Silva's UFC career.

Dana White is offering Kimbo a spot on the Ultimate Fighter is he truly wants to be in this sport. But of course there hasn't even been a heavyweight tournament on TUF since season 2, so either he'd have to cut weight for a light heavyweight spot or White plans to do a heavyweight one again.

I don't know if he would take White up on the offer though. For one, White has madeHe just got $500,000 for his last fight. If he happened to win, he'd get $100,000 over 4-6 fights or whatever it is. So that's a huge drop in pay, but really who is willing to offer Kimbo what EliteXC was offering him? Probably no one. So if Japan doesn't come calling for him for some freak-show style fights, taking a spot on TUF might be his only best offer.

Despite UFC President Dana White's consistent publicly voiced disdain for EliteXC's use of Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson as a marketable MMA commodity, White did recently offer Slice an opportunity to join the world's leading MMA promotion.

With Slice out of a job after the recent collapse of EliteXC and parent company ProElite, White was asked about the possibility of bringing the former streetfighter into the UFC at the post-UFC 90 press conference.

"[slice] can be on 'The Ultimate Fighter,'" White said.

Despite the offer, White's position on the skills of Slice have apparently not changed.

"What's [slice] done other than get 10 million hits on YouTube?," White asked. "What's he done to deserve to be in the UFC? Nothing. I don't consider him a real athlete or anything. He won't win The Ultimate Fighter. The offer's out there if he wants to take it, (but) he won't win it."

The prospect of Slice appearing on the Spike TV reality show still seems a bit far-fetched.

Little is known of the exact status of the contracts the now-defunct EliteXC held with its fighters. Slice and others may be tied up in court battles for the immediate future. The UFC would also almost certainly not be willing to match Slice's $500,000 salary for his most recent fight.

But when asked if the UFC would be willing to feature a heavyweight edition of "The Ultimate Fighter" for the first time since the show's second season, White certainly didn't rule out the prospect.

"We might do that," White said with a grin.

Credit: MMAJunkie.com

UFC cannot afford any more jokes like that. Silva was an absolute tool. Pathetic. The damned word FIGHT is in the fucking name of the company. Either do that or forfiet your fucking money/title/position. That was beyond horrid.

The fuck? Not sure what you're going on about, but I'm guessing it's because he was show boating a bit and so on? Either way, no need to rant on the guy, he did fuck all wrong. And I still feel he looked majorly comfortable. Cote may have gone longer than most others, but Silva really does have the stamina to go as long as anybody. The fight had the possible 'A shock could happen', but then I realised it was very doubtful. I think now is the time to give Silva a PROPER test, a huge opponent, because despite him already being the ultimate real deal, if he destroys another huge name, it wont even be questionable anymore.

And Slice on TUF? I'd love to see that, because it'd give him the chance to prove just about everybody wrong. I really hope this comes of something, because it could be great.

Werdum getting KO'd was easily the highlight of the night on Saturday. The main event was a non-entity really, can't really call it because of the premature finish.

Anyways, now the filler cards are out of the way, roll on UFC 91/92. Cannot wait is an understatement.

Can't see the Kimbo on TUF thing working out. Are there enough decent heavyweights out there to even do a division? Edited by Zombie Jesus

Can't see the Kimbo on TUF thing working out. Are there enough decent heavyweights out there to even do a division?

I don't know the answer to that (maybe there are some from IFL or even EliteXC's heavyweight divisions that they could look into to fill the show up), but most of the time with fighters on TUF is they go in at the weight class higher than normal (or in Kenny Florian's case two weight classes above) and then when the season ends they go to their natural weight class. We've seen it in season 2 with Keith Jardine, Rashad Evans, Seth Petruzelli, Mike Whitehead, and Rob MacDonald all fight at heavyweight and then drop to light heavyweight.

So I've only watched till Dos Santos awesome knock-out over Werdum so far but damn, that uppercut was fucking awesome. Too bad Werdum no heavyweight shot for you! I mean seriously, Werdum really fucked up there. He left himself entirely open with that weak shot and even walked in it. I hope Santos continues on this path, he looks cool.
Edited by SRN