MMA News and Discussion Thread

Nate Marquardt vs. Martin Kampmann is on for UFC 88.

I like this fight a lot. I like Kampman, he's got a nice streak going, he's been in some tough battles and won, and he's still relatively young at 26, so he's still got a bright future ahead of him.

Still, I think Nate takes this fight. Kampmann will bring the fight to him, but Nate is gonna want this one bad, big opportunity to make for that SD loss. Plus, Kampmann already has a win over Leites. I don't know if that counts for anything, but it felt like the right time to bring it up.

Roger Huerta has a problem. And he's angry!

This comes from an article in the pages of the newest issue of Fight! Magazine that is on newsstand's now. Thanks To Fiveouncesofpain.com for pulling the quote:

Huerta is one of a growing number of Zuffa-contracted fighter who feel that there is a disconnection between the company’s success and the way fighters are compensated. Huerta’s disillusionment with the UFC began when he did press tours for his employer in Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, and London and received a $50 per diem for his troubles. It sounds like a a good deal until you factor in time away from training, friends, and family, days often stretch twelve hours or more, and an exchange rate of one UK pound for two American dollars. “Why do you think I don’t do PR for the UFC any more?” he asks.

He’s also unhappy with the terms of his current contract, but to Huerta, the press tours underscore a larger point: by and the large, Zuffa does not treat its contracted fighters with sufficient loyalty or respect. He argues that many UFC fighters noly make enough to cover their training expenses. He brings up teammate Keith Jardine repeatedly, incensed that a main event fighter is working for ten and ten- $10k to show and 10k to win - while his opponent regularly makes ten times as much.

Huerta’s expression hardens and becomes more animated as talk turns to endorsements. The common counter-argument for complaints about fighter pay is that fighters often make more from endorsements and sponsorships than they do for competing. But Huerta has soured on the system after receiving lowball offers from companies who expect fighters to jump at the chance to endorse products. He rails against a Fortune 500 company for offering a deal to build him as a spokesman that included unpaid work. “Are you serious?” Huerta ask. “I know Dale Earnhardt Jr isn’t doing appearances for free.”

“The truth is, I don’t really care if I fight in the UFC or somewhere else,” Huerta says. The fighter says he understands that Zuffa has to keep an eye on the bottom line, but he wants to work, “For a company that is as loyal to me as I am to them.”

I cannot wait for the Dana White reaction. This will be fun.

If I'm Dana, I do not want to lose Huerta. So I'm thinking damage control. Or I'm praying Kenny Florian makes Huerta into 30 seconds of work while Goldy changes Rogan's diaper after witnessing the raw awesomeness of KenFlo's authentic Muay Thai expertise.

The way I see it... if Huerta beats Florian, he'll be in line for not only a title shot, but a substantial payraise.

When Florian beats him though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dana and the UFC part ways with El Matador.

While it is ridiculous that Keith Jardine is making a tenth of the pay that the guy's he's knocked out make, you also need to consider that the guys he's knocked out hold some pretty big name value, and Keith Jardine may be able to take them out, but he's nowhere near as big a star.

It's gonna be bad for UFC if they lose Huerta after the way they hyped him. But he does have a legit complaint. The UFC pulled around $3,000,000 at the gate alone, not including the PPV numbers, and they pay a total of a little over 1,000,000 to the fighters, that's just wrong. They make plenty of money to be paying these fighters what they're worth.

It's gonna be bad for UFC if they lose Huerta after the way they hyped him. But he does have a legit complaint. The UFC pulled around $3,000,000 at the gate alone, not including the PPV numbers, and they pay a total of a little over 1,000,000 to the fighters, that's just wrong. They make plenty of money to be paying these fighters what they're worth.

Yeah, but they have more expenses than just fighter wages. They need to pay for the venues, the advertising, the other promotional events, and even more.

So the spread may be $2 mil between live gate and fighter attendance, but there's a lot more to consider than just that.

But they also have more source of revenue than just the PPV sales. They have merchandising and sponsership money coming in too. I'm not saying they should throw money at the fighters, but they should be getting paid more than just a couple thousand a fight. I also think they should be getting paid depending on the fight. Like Jardine should have been paid more for his fights against Liddell & Silva and his usual pay for his fights against Alexander & Griffen.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
--Advertising for the 10/11 Affliction show has changed from Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski to Arlovski vs. TBD. Not good.

Taken from WO. Does Fedor not want to fight Arlovski or something?

--Advertising for the 10/11 Affliction show has changed from Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski to Arlovski vs. TBD. Not good.

Taken from WO. Does Fedor not want to fight Arlovski or something?

Arlovski's Sambo background could be a test for Fedor... but it's probably just an injury or scheduling problems.

I'd like to see Arlovski Vs Barnett for a title shot.

Rampage facing muder charges?

A Huntington Beach woman has suffered a miscarriage in the days after being injured in a crash caused by a mixed-martial arts fighter, who was allegedly driving drunk, talking on a phone and weaving through Costa Mesa and Newport beach, it was reported today.

California law allows a person to be charged with murder if he or she exhibits an "abandoned and malignant heart" that results in a malicious death of an unborn child.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Apparently "vehicular manslaughter" doesn't apply to fetuses.

When that was mentioned in today's WO update, I had no idea what it had to do with anything and wasn't sure I wanted to.

Also, yay for Arlovski/Barnett. Winner fights Fedor presumably.

I haven't experienced the injury for myself, so I don't know, but he's been milking a hand injury for years now. My guess is Fedor doesn't want to risk further injuring his hand in October and give up a pay day on New Years Eve. He hasn't missed an NYE paycheck in five years and he's already expressed that he does not want that streak to end this year.

If anybody has any Meltzer news and is kind enough to share it, that would be awesome. He has some pretty cool news and eventually you can find it other places, but you have to filter through so much sourceless crap first to make sure where you are getting it from.

Anybody see WEC? If you get a chance, watch it! Very good event. Main event was very entertaining. Most likely it'll end up being a FOTYC. I watched the whole thing this morning. I suggest you do to. Watch Miura/Condit at the very least if you haven't.

Anything interesting that comes from a Meltzer newsletter (as opposed to the free daily updates), I try to paraphrase and post here. :)

That's why there will be a special spot in heaven for you and those who as you do.

Ibarra Speaks

Source, MMAJunkie

Juanito Ibarra, a central figure as both trainer and mentor in the life of Quinton Jackson over the past three-plus years, is struggling to come to grips with the fighter's recent actions and subsequent arrest.

Ibarra told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Tuesday night that he has not spoken with Jackson since the former UFC light heavyweight champion was arrested by Costa Mesa police July 15, following an alleged hit-and-run accident and subsequent police chase on a California freeway.

"I'm devastated by what he's been through and some of the things I've heard," said Ibarra. "I've not sat down with Quinton to this day to discuss things. I pray for his well-being, and if I helped Quinton out a little bit with his growth in the sport, then I've been very blessed and honored to do that. I love this kid with all my heart, and I wish him nothing but the best."

Ibarra forged a bond with Jackson following the fighter's loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in April of 2005. The longtime boxing and MMA trainer saw the potential in the fellow born-again Christian, and sought an audience with the then-PRIDE Fighting favorite. A successful fighter-trainer partnership and friendship ensued, as Ibarra helped guide Jackson to six straight wins, including a victory over Chuck Liddell in May of last year that earned Jackson a UFC title.

Out of respect for his relationship with Jackson, Ibarra declined to discuss speculation about this status as Jackson's trainer until the two have had a chance to talk.

"I'm not going to get in to storytelling. ... It's not what I'm about," Ibarra told MMAjunkie.com. "I haven't sat down with Quinton Jackson, and I'm not going to hear things through sources and through people. This is a kid I've been with for almost four years. I have nothing but love and support for him. All I want for Quinton right now is what's best for him. Whatever he needs from me in any way, I'm here for him and always have been."

Ibarra has tried to stay focused on his work with Cheick Kongo as the Frenchman prepares for his fight Saturday at UFC 87. Kongo is set to face UFC newcomer Dan Evensen.

Jackson, meanwhile, could face additional charges in the case after a pregnant Huntington Beach woman, who was reportedly injured in the hit-and-run crash, suffered a miscarriage.

Steve Sievert is the lead staff writer and business columnist for MMAjunkie.com. He is also for the former MMA beat writer and lead blogger for the Houston Chronicle.

Tyson Griffin/Sean Sherk is on for UFC 90. If Griffin wins, he should definitely get a title shot, aside from that hiccup against Frankie Edgar, he's been great, even if he doesn't finish opponents. I'm not sure who I like in this fight, but I'm leaning slightly towards Griffin at this point. Also, I'm extremely excited for Kampmann/Marquardt.

With the winner of Florian and Huerta almost guaranteed a title shot, I wouldn't expect Griffin or Sherk to get a shot anytime soon, no matter who wins that fight.

Also, the UFC is apparently trying to work out a deal with Cung Le to get murdered by Anderson Silva.

I had no idea that was exclusive to Japan. I haven't seen it since last year, it was pretty good, but hard to watch in one sitting. If you are looking for a PRIDE history lesson, this is awesome. It gets a little boring if you are up on the history already. Regardless, still a good watch.

As for comparing to the Smashing Machine... Sorry man, the Pride Decade is a glorified highlight reel compared to the Smashing Machine. And I meant that in a way in which I don't sound like a dick.

News bit stolen from Sherdog forums, they stole it from Dave Meltzer. Because no news is safe.

“Huerta, who has one fight left on his contact after the Florian fight, is far apart with UFC on terms for a renewal. Huerta, who has gotten a new agent, was asking for six-figures guaranteed per fight as well as points on the PPV, in negotiations that haven’t gone well for some time. That’s a better deal then [bJ] Penn, so he wasn’t going to get it. The UFC position is that they groomed Huerta and pushed him hard and were careful of his opponents, with the exception of Clay Guida….”

Clearly if Roger can have the same success with an up competition, he is going to be a star and you don't want to lose him to an upstart promotion like Affliction. But right now, he is not worth the money he is asking and all the UFC needs is Florian to get his arm raised to justify it. So you got your potential future face of 155, who has got an appeal that could possibly lead to fame outside the sport, but he wants the money that he would deserve when he reaches that potential, now.

As much as I have grown to love Roger, Guida is his lone prize trophy right now. The infusion of youth into 155 since it's return, Roger putting together a nice streak, consistent FOTN outings, and the poster boy potential has really helped him stand away from the pack. Fighting for a title shot is a bit premature, but he's got the hype and excitement, so it makes sense givien we are still in the Sherk/Penn hangover and there aren't many challengers worthy of a shot more than Roger is really. It's quite the situation to try to wrap your head around.

There are so many possible scenarios could come about follow the outcome of Huerta/Florian, I can't even attempt to throw a guess out there as to what will happen to Roger Huerta's future.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

The UFC's in a tough spot here. If he beats Florian, and they let him go, then they're giving up the (arguably) #2 155 lb fighter in North America. Florian is the guy everyone is looking to as the next big BJ Penn at 155 fight... but if Huerta bests him on Saturday, the UFC will be in a spot where they almost have to give El Matador what he wants.

Should be an interesting, and balls to the wall, fight on Saturday.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Before I get into the stuff from the new Observer, mainstream press up here is reporting that there will likely be a UFC show in Montreal at the end of the year, headlined by GSP/Penn. Awesomeness. (H)