MMA News and Discussion Thread

Glad Al-Hassan didn't suffer a break after all. That armbar was sick, and I can't believe he didn't tap.

The Koscheck knock out of Yoshida may just be my favorite actual knock out of the year.

And I love it when Mike Swick lives up to his nickname. Damn.

--UFC fans contributed in excess of $4 million last night to the Intrepid Foundation

Wow. That is impressive. I didn't know how well the whole charity thing would work, but seeing that number is a refreshing reminder about how kind some people can be.

Tonight wasn't half bad. I expected a pretty lame night, but we got a pretty weird knockout from Bader to win (which I didn't expect... thought he'd do more ground n pound instead of a looping right hand that was deflected but still knocked Vinny out), a win for Junie (and I'm glad he's maturing a bit), and I'm glad EFRAAAIIIIN put a stop to the Philippe Nover Hype Machine. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-p...o&type=lgns

Top 10 North American PPV buy rates, 2008

1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul “Big Show” Wight, March 30, 670,000

4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000

5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000

6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000

7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000

8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000

9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000

10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000

The biggest pro wrestling event, WWE’s annual WrestleMania, promoted around Mayweather’s debut as a pro wrestler, culminating several live appearances for the group, did 1,058,000 buys worldwide, but WWE does a substantial portion of its business outside North America. North American numbers for the show are estimated at 670,000, putting it as the third biggest event of the year.