MMA News and Discussion Thread

Outside of this kind discussion:

Dana White, apparently, is in talks with Mirko for a return to the Octagon. I am trying to find a legit source for the interview, but he states him as a possible fighter for UFC 99 in Germany.

Also, if the interview is legit, Machida is getting his 205 title shot this Summer.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Who gets to kick his ass this time?

I kid. His loss to Gonzaga came out of no where and the Kongo fight should have been stopped after the repeated knees to the groin he suffered.

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

Who gets to kick his ass this time?

I kid. His loss to Gonzaga came out of no where and the Kongo fight should have been stopped after the repeated knees to the groin he suffered.

I'll give you that one. The Gonzaga fight shocked the world, but it taught people not to take Gonzaga lightly. He is an underrated fighters for sure.

As for the Kongo fight, was that the fight were they actually exchanged groin shots? After a couple of accidental hits?

Outside of this kind discussion:

Dana White, apparently, is in talks with Mirko for a return to the Octagon. I am trying to find a legit source for the interview, but he states him as a possible fighter for UFC 99 in Germany.

Also, if the interview is legit, Machida is getting his 205 title shot this Summer.

Mirko back to the UFC is quite old news. Months probably. Still no contract however.

Machida is only getting the shot at UFC 100 if Rampage loses, if Rampage wins it'll be Rashad vs. Evans headlining with GSP/Alves and Hendo/Bisping undercard.

and to the reason I'm here. I was asked about the Koscheck stoppage. It's a simple and easy answer: It was a flash KO, he was out, good stoppage.

A bit late in here, but for the sake of avoiding someone digging up that little altercation and bringing it back to the forefront of discussion:

Maxx, Gene, knock off the attacks on each other. I think you can both agree that things got a bit out of hand there, it was a conflict of opinion over what happened in that you both interpreted what you saw differently and that happens, but no need to start getting heated with each other over it.

Not saying-- nor do I want to hear which one of you thinks-- that one of you started it or was out of line in the argument or what have you. Let's just get past that and move on with general discussion in the thread.

Everyone else getting involved, I understand there's a legit point of conversation to discuss whether or not he was knocked out cold or the fight was stopped for the fighter's safety or whatever the belief is here, but for the sake of avoiding conflict in here let's steer away from the subject for a little while.

Edited by The Mask of Norro

It'll be Rampage first.. Hard to argue that he's one win away from a title shot.

Of course Machida certainly deserves on himself. Maybe Machida Vs Griffin for the next #1 Contender?

I agree. The money is in Rampage/Evans, but the fight should be going to Machida, IMO. Here is the snippet itself., nothing major or anything we didn't already know.

White also confirmed that Brock Lesnar will be facing Frank Mir in May to unify the heavyweight titles, that 205-pound contender Lyoto Machida will "probably have his title shot this summer," and that there will be a title on the line when the UFC returns to the U.K. this summer.

XFC held XFC 7, the first ever MMA competition in the state here Friday night, and the local newspaper did a fairly shitty job of covering it. I only know the results of about 7 or 8 of the fights, and of those I only know the full details (time, round, and how it ended) of about 4. Only one fight went to decision, as far as I know of, and it was a split decision. Another ended by TKO in the second round, and the rest I know the results of ended by submission (mostly armbars, but one ended by triangle choke) either in the first or second round.

They're apparently coming back here in April for another show, which will be taped for tv. Sorely tempted to go if the ticket prices are reasonable.

well without the commercials they couldn't afford to put on the show for free, so it's really a trade off.

Ultimate Fight Nights don't have near as many commercials.

I understand they probably don't pay out nearly as much in fighter wages either, but come on... it was fucking ridiculous.

If it wasn't for the great main event and some other small highlights, I would have been pissed right off having missed most of Hockey Night in Canada to watch an hour and a half of commercials interspersed with an hour and a half of fights.

Seriously, if it happens again, I'm downloading the Spike TV specials from that point on.

well without the commercials they couldn't afford to put on the show for free, so it's really a trade off.

I understand they probably don't pay out nearly as much in fighter wages either, but come on... it was fucking ridiculous.

If it wasn't for the great main event and some other small highlights, I would have been pissed right off having missed most of Hockey Night in Canada to watch an hour and a half of commercials interspersed with an hour and a half of fights.

Seriously, if it happens again, I'm downloading the Spike TV specials from that point on.

It always happens for the tape delay specials. This is nothing new.

It always happens for the tape delay specials. This is nothing new.

I've never noticed it being that bad. I mean, at one point, we had three minutes worth of commericals, came back, there was a quick finish to a fight, and then two minutes more of commercials... then they talk to the winner, and three minutes of commericals again.

I don't know... maybe I was just more interested in the hockey games than the fights... but I really don't remember it ever being as bad as it was last night for commercials.

Surprised no-one mentioned the yet-another-submission-of-the-night of Demian Maia... That guy is really good... He's become my favorite MMA fighter. I don't think he deserves to face Anderson Silva yet, but he should have a contenders match... possibly against Yushin Okami or Nate Marquardt...

Never mind the title shot... just read (wikipedia) that Okami is getting a title shot next. So first Leites, then Okami... and then hopefully Maia.

Also I don't like Stevenson... he's just... well dunno. Don't like him.

Edited by bolleje