MMA News and Discussion Thread

Speaking of Ultimate Fighter 9, another fight has been announced. Nate Diaz vs. Joe Stevenson to go along with John Howard vs. Anthony Johnson and Clay Guida vs. Diego Sanchez. Really good looking fights so far. I assume that'll be it for non-Ultimate Fighter cast member fights, though.

Some news updates:

- While Dana White probably won't bad mouth Scott Coker and Strikeforce since he has never in the past and has always said he respects him, that won't stop the UFC from airing UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II on the same night as their debut on Showtime.

- Penn's camp files a formal complaint against GSP's camp.

-- It asks for the comision to fine GSP, Greg Jackson, and Phil Nurse, and others up to $250,000.

-- Suspend GSP's fighters license and Jackson/Nurse/others' cornerman license.

-- Change the result to a no-contest.

-- GSP would have to undergo a pre-bout shower to make sure no substances exist on his body in future fights.

- Tim Sylvia is going to box Ray Mercer at Adrenaline II on May 30. He says he doesn't compete in MMA again until Affliction 3 in July and wanted to fight before then.

- Five Ounces of Pain is reporting that Jackson won't take the fight as he injured his band in the Jardine fight so Machida gets the title shot. White still says nothing has been confirmed, though. White also metions nothing is official for Lesnar/Mir 2 at UFC 100.

- The debut of Yoshihiro Akiyama looks to be happening at UFC 100 again Alan Blecher. Looks like Belcher is playing the role of the spoiler again just like he did for Denis Kang on his debut. Now this is not official as Belcher is also reported to be fighting Alessio Sakara at UFC 99 so no word on what is the real fight.

Mask from Tapout has died in a car crash early this morning.

Confirmed:

headline.jpg

Charles Lewis Jr., better known to MMA fans as “Mask,” was killed in a hit-and-run accident Tuesday night in Newport Beach, Calif.

Lewis was the founder of Tapout Clothing, Inc., and the face of its popular reality show on cable channel Versus. Several sources within the company confirmed his passing.

At 12:57 a.m., a Newport Beach Police cruiser spotted Lewis’ red Ferrari and a white Porsche driving out of control on the southbound side of Jamboree Road, according to Lt. Jim Amormino, a public information officer with the Orange County Sherrif’s Department.

The Ferrari then struck the curb and hit a streetlight, tearing the car in half. After coming to a brief stop, the Porsche fled the scene.

An unnamed female passenger was ejected from Lewis’ car in the crash. Newport Beach paramedics pronounced Lewis dead at the scene.

Newport Beach officers later spotted the Porsche and stopped its passengers, a male and female, who were seen walking away from the vehicle.

Upon further investigation officers determined that the male, Jeffrey David Kirby, a 51-year-old resident of Costa Mesa, Calif., was the driver of the vehicle.

Kirby was arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter and taken to the Newport Beach Police Department. The female passenger, Lynn Marie Nabozny, a 32-year-old resident of Newport Beach, was arrested for public intoxication and released Wednesday morning.

Kirby’s bail is set at $1 million dollars. The results of a blood alcohol test administered at the jail are forthcoming. No further motive for the accident is known at this time, according to Amormino.

RIP.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Evans/Machida is official as the main event of UFC 98. I'm stoked - Machida may not have Rampage's name recognition, but it should be a really interesting fight.

Sylvia is going to box Ray Mercer? what is he thinking? i mean really.

I'm happy that Machida is going to get the shot, even though it should be a rather boring fight. Either way it's an oppertunity to prove who is the best 205'er in the world atm. I mean both are undefeated.

Also BJ Penn needs to stop whining and take his loss like a man, everytime he loses it's somebody elses fault, theres always an excuse, he needs to man up and win or lose like a man, i can't wait for Kenflo to beat him.

R.I.P Mask

Damn. Not a big fan of the Tapout guys, but Mask was my favorite. Hope Kirby goes to pound in the ass prison.

R.I.P.

And I didn't see the GSP-Penn fight, so I have to ask: Does Penn have good reason for filing a complaint, or is he just a little bitch?

Edited by GhostMachine

Penn didn't look very good straight from the opening of the fight. During the standup exchange, he didn't look all that great, and then when they went to the ground, GSP just used his weight and wrestling to hold him down, which allowed for the ground and pound.

A great welterweight defeated a great lightweight. There's no shame in that, and Penn is really only hurting his reputation by dragging this out.

Also... I see no reason why Machida/Evans should be boring. The only time Machida fights are boring is when his opponent isn't aggressive. Evans is an aggressive fighter, who I can say really only bored me with his antics in the first round of the Liddell fight... but of course, we know how that ended. Round 1: Chuck swings a bunch and Rashad evades. Rashad makes fun of him. Round 2: Rashad knocks him the fuck out.

Evans/Machida should be a damn good fight.

Penn didn't look very good straight from the opening of the fight. During the standup exchange, he didn't look all that great, and then when they went to the ground, GSP just used his weight and wrestling to hold him down, which allowed for the ground and pound.

A great welterweight defeated a great lightweight. There's no shame in that, and Penn is really only hurting his reputation by dragging this out.

Also... I see no reason why Machida/Evans should be boring. The only time Machida fights are boring is when his opponent isn't aggressive. Evans is an aggressive fighter, who I can say really only bored me with his antics in the first round of the Liddell fight... but of course, we know how that ended. Round 1: Chuck swings a bunch and Rashad evades. Rashad makes fun of him. Round 2: Rashad knocks him the fuck out.

Evans/Machida should be a damn good fight.

Well maybe i'm confused then. But pretty much every Rashad fight i've seen has been boring. Every fight i've seen Machida in has been boring except for the Soko fight( i didn't see him face Thiago Silva). So ergo IMHO this fight should be boring. But thats my opinon maybe some people like to watch both of them fight.

And Penn was outclassed in every aspect during the GSP fight grease or not. He was tooled before and after the incident. BJ penn hasn't evolved as much as GSP has since their last fight IMO. Penn was outclassed, outmaned and outplanned.

Ken Shamrock suspended for one year.

Shamrock tested positive for 19-Norandrosterone, 19-Noretiocholanolone and Stanozolol following a Feb. 13 Wargods event.

So no more Shamrock vs. Lashley.

Here's a more detailed report

FORMER WWE STAR SUSPENDED FOR STEROIDS

by Mike Johnson @ 9:16 PM on 3/11/2009

Former WWF Intercontinental champion and MMA legend Ken Shamrock has been suspended for one year and fined $2,500 by the California State Athletic Commission after testing positive for three different types of steroids, according to the Los Angeles Times. Shamrock will be allowed to appeal the decision.

Shamrock tested positive for Norandrosterone, Noretiocholanolone and Stanozolol after a 2/13 win in California over Ross Clifton. It was Shamrock's first win in close to four years.

How the suspension will change the planned Shamrock vs. Bobby Lashley fight scheduled for 3/21 in Pensacola, Florida remains to be seen but most States will honor a suspension levied elsewhere.

As annoying as the Tapout guys can be, they are a huge part of MMA creeping into the mainstream and their support for fighters right down to the grass roots level is incomparable.

RIP Charles Lewis.

Absolutely 100%. A sad day in the sport because of his contributions. They supported the UFC during the rough days and still continue their support, and most importantly is how they have fostered the fighters throughout the years. How many countless fighters got that little extra cash they needed because Mask and crew stepped up to lend them some in sponserships?

Well maybe i'm confused then. But pretty much every Rashad fight i've seen has been boring. Every fight i've seen Machida in has been boring except for the Soko fight( i didn't see him face Thiago Silva). So ergo IMHO this fight should be boring. But thats my opinon maybe some people like to watch both of them fight.

If people want to say Rashad's early fights were boring, fine... fact was he was a green fighter who was merely a wrestler trying to peice together the other aspects, same as Kos. But watching them grow has been phenomenal, and I haven't really seen Rashad as boring. His TUF finale fight with Imes was exciting and we got to see him slay a giant, the Hogar fight maybe, vs. Bonnar was a fairly exciting battle against season one and two that saw some back and forth action with Rashad's superior wrestling, and finally after that we saw him blossom. Ever since the Jason Lambert fight he has been one of the most exciting fighters imo.

And as for Lyoto... people who don't understand his style will see him as boring. Those who understand his style almost 100% of the time appriciate it and watch it like they would a beautiful play. It's amazing.

And Penn was outclassed in every aspect during the GSP fight grease or not. He was tooled before and after the incident. BJ penn hasn't evolved as much as GSP has since their last fight IMO. Penn was outclassed, outmaned and outplanned.

My only point about "Greasegate" or whatever they want to call it is this: BJ obviously tried controlling GSP in those rounds with a rubber guard that was clearly slipping off his back. GSP was dominating and I don't think BJ would have won... however, if that vaseline isn't there and BJ can employ a rubber guard then it opens up two facets: The stand-up from the ref, and submissions (gogo, armbar, triangle, etc). So I do view it somewhat significant in that fight. If BJ never tried for the rubberguard or tried once, then I'd probably dismiss it all together... but he repeatedly tried for the rubber guard and it slipped every time for obvious reasons now. I remember watching it I thought it was odd, but just thought GSP was doing an outstanding job defending it.

I don't think the fight should be over turned and I don't think BJ should get a rematch unless he beats Kenny and even maybe one more title fight after that.

And as for Lyoto... people who don't understand his style will see him as boring. Those who understand his style almost 100% of the time appriciate it and watch it like they would a beautiful play. It's amazing.

This, well minus the play comparison. :shifty: But yes, I like Lyoto's style. It is smart and not boring to me.

Thats some Sherdog logic right there "if you find Machida Boring you don't understand MMA" thats their logic over there. I understand his style perfectly well, it's a smart style and very very boring IMO. I like Machida, he is a humble guy and i like that he is showing that in order to have good stand up in MMA you don't neccasary have to do Muay Thai and Kick Boxing, you can do Karate. Also i loved his Aikido throw on Nakamura, i just think most of his fights have been boring it's just my prefence.

Machida is a great fighter, some enjoy his style (i do) but you can enjoy what he brings to MMA and not find him exciting. It's all personal opinon on if a fight is exciting or not, i mean how many people do you know who thought Jake O'Brien vs Heath Herring was exciting? or Gray Maynard vs Frankie Edgar or ect.... it's opinon thats all it is. I prefer ground based combat and takedowns, i enjoy stand up fights alot, but i prefer ground style. For instance i'll watch a Sean Sherk or Matt Hughes fight over a Chuck Liddell or Mirk Cro Cop fight anyday.

EDIT: BJ Should Never get another WW title shot period. Unless he drops the LW belt or loses it and moves up to WW and actually beats a contender or two. But just because he is the current (Not for long) Champion doesnt mean he should get free shots at GSP or Alves or whoever the WW champ will be. I mean that shot he had should've been Alves shot at the gold.

Edited by I Love Pokemon

Whether he was losing or not, if GSP was greased, the whole fight shady. If it happened, it was an unfair advantage and an unfair fight, end of story. I could see if he like knocked BJ out in a few seconds into the first round, but that fight lasted a few rounds and went to the ground several times, where GSP may have had an unfair advantage.

People acted like the corner man used a whole thing of vaseline on GSP in that fight. There are gifs going around clearly showing his cut man pretty much patting him on the back and thats about it. I doubt that little bit of vasaline had that much of an effect on Penn sucking.

Whether he was losing or not, if GSP was greased, the whole fight shady. If it happened, it was an unfair advantage and an unfair fight, end of story. I could see if he like knocked BJ out in a few seconds into the first round, but that fight lasted a few rounds and went to the ground several times, where GSP may have had an unfair advantage.

For 1 Round. It happened was spotted and then the they fixed the problem and checked it out afterwards, even after that point and before BJ was still getting owned.