MMA News and Discussion Thread

Surprising to see Couture go down to Light Heavyweight. I didn't think his ego would allow such a thing, but there it is. I think he's probably wanting to see if he can pick up a few wins before heading back to Heavyweight.

• Like 1

Surprising to see Couture go down to Light Heavyweight. I didn't think his ego would allow such a thing, but there it is. I think he's probably wanting to see if he can pick up a few wins before heading back to Heavyweight.

Really? As of late Couture has been talking about a move back to LHW more so than he has been talking about sticking around HW. He has admitted himself that he is probably better suited at the lower weight class.

Just wondering if anybody has any information on UFC airing on Channel 5 over here in the UK? Not sure what the deal is with them, but tonight they're airing what is apparently 'UFC 102 - Main Event', which is of course Couture/Nog. I'm just wondering if this is a one off or something they're actually going to continue to do on a regular basis. It's on tonight at midnight for anybody over here who hasn't seen it and is interested.

It's a new show that will be airing over there every week.

In the coming months, a regular and newly created program – UFC: Main Event - will showcase the featured attraction bouts of some the UFC’s biggest upcoming cards, plus the most exciting undercard fights. To kick off the series, FIVE will air UFC 102: Main Event featuring the instant classic between Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on Monday September 14, 2009 at midnight.

In addition to UFC: Main Event, FIVE’s sister channel, FIVE USA, is now the new home of the UFC’s groundbreaking reality TV series The Ultimate Fighter. The most successful series of its kind, The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) sees reality television collide with combat sport as 16 of the best unsigned mixed martial arts fighters in the world live together, train together and ultimately fight each other for the prize of a six-figure contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

UFC: MAIN EVENT

The regular one-hour UFC: Main Event shows will air on FIVE Sunday nights at midnight. The first instalment hits the airwaves on at midnight Monday night, September 14, when FIVE will broadcast the instant classic between heavyweight icons Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Randy Couture, along with other exciting bouts the UFC 102 super-card which took place in Portland, Oregon, USA on August 30.

Upcoming editions of UFC: Main Event will showcase action from some of the biggest upcoming events and feature elite level talents like Rich Franklin, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida, UFC Heavyweight king Brock Lesnar, as well as British superstars ‘The Outlaw’ Dan Hardy and Michael ‘The Count’ Bisping.

"It hasn't escaped my notice that we are dealing with a bunch of crooks who wish to brand their name onto someone who has managed to build up a successful organization on his own with a good network deal."

"Our deal with Strikeforce was made before this bunch of robbers came along, but now we were planning on asking our money in advance. In fact, I see this as the ideal opportunity to say no to the contract that was signed earlier; we don't want to fight on any M-mini Cons & co promotions."

"Is this the same organization that let Tommy Depret fly to America for nothing without having the decency to phone him to let him know it was cancelled?"

"I wonder what happens if Fedor loses a couple of times, or can't fight due to circumstances, to all those enforced `Co-Promotions` that do not benefit the fighters in any way."

Overeem's manager. May leave Strikeforce due to M-1 showing up as "co-promotors".

Blah blah blah, Alistair. That's just an excuse. It's pretty apparent that Strikeforce hasn't been a top priority for him in, well, ever.

Besides, am I wrong, or are the only "Co-Promoted" events going to be the ones featuring Fedor? I was pretty certain that shows without Fedor on them wouldn't be co-promoted.

From all of what he said, I don't see it as an excuse at all. He cited specific instances like the Depret part and it seems they see what M-1 is for what it is and are not interested in doing any sort of business with them... and more importantly, be involved with anyone associated with them. That's not uncommon in business and outside of his "injuries" at times I will stand behind him on this. Seems completely on point and logical.

It's a legitimate complaint, yes... I won't fault him for that. I just think that anyone who says that he was actually interested in Strikeforce is looking at him through rose-tinted glasses. They were a backup paycheck for him, and he didn't take them seriously to begin with. So while this is a legitimate complaint, and I won't call him out for leaving because of it... I will say that it seems like it's been a long time coming, and that he was just waiting for something like this to happen so he could get out without incident.

It's a new show that will be airing over there every week.

In the coming months, a regular and newly created program – UFC: Main Event - will showcase the featured attraction bouts of some the UFC’s biggest upcoming cards, plus the most exciting undercard fights. To kick off the series, FIVE will air UFC 102: Main Event featuring the instant classic between Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on Monday September 14, 2009 at midnight.

In addition to UFC: Main Event, FIVE’s sister channel, FIVE USA, is now the new home of the UFC’s groundbreaking reality TV series The Ultimate Fighter. The most successful series of its kind, The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) sees reality television collide with combat sport as 16 of the best unsigned mixed martial arts fighters in the world live together, train together and ultimately fight each other for the prize of a six-figure contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

UFC: MAIN EVENT

The regular one-hour UFC: Main Event shows will air on FIVE Sunday nights at midnight. The first instalment hits the airwaves on at midnight Monday night, September 14, when FIVE will broadcast the instant classic between heavyweight icons Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Randy Couture, along with other exciting bouts the UFC 102 super-card which took place in Portland, Oregon, USA on August 30.

Upcoming editions of UFC: Main Event will showcase action from some of the biggest upcoming events and feature elite level talents like Rich Franklin, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida, UFC Heavyweight king Brock Lesnar, as well as British superstars ‘The Outlaw’ Dan Hardy and Michael ‘The Count’ Bisping.

Thanks for the info pal. Sounds pretty awesome. I usually catch most of the shows somehow, but it'll be nice to see some of this replayed.

Credit to 411mania...

According to fiveouncesofpain.com, five-time Worlds Strongest Man, Mariusz Pudzianowski will be making his MMA debut against fellow MMA rookie Marcin Najman. The two will fight at heavyweight in Warsaw, Poland for KSW 12. Besides his strongman accomplishments, Pudzianowski is a fourth kyu green belt in Kyokushin kaikan Karate and has been training in boxing for 7-years. Ladies and gentleman, that's a big boy.

mariusz-2_30320.jpg

But could the guy even pass a drug test? Most of the Strongman competitors and Bodybuilders are known because of their use steroids or other products that are not permited by most Sports rules, specially contact sports like Boxing or MMA.

Edited by Powerhart