MMA News and Discussion Thread

Current Strikeforce: Rogers Vs Fedor card looks like this:

Fedor Vs Rogers (duh)

Shields Vs Mayhem

Lashley Vs Waterman (source:http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Bobby-Lashley-vs-Ron-Waterman-likely-for-upcoming-Strikeforce-event.html)

Mousasi Vs ?

Werdum Vs ?

The main card was going to be 4 fights... With Mousasi all but confirmed and Werdum also very probably... is Mousasi Vs Werdum possible? How 'far' away from Light Heavyweight is Werdum? Or are they gonna do five fights and hope Fedor & Rogers only need one round?

"Junie Browning was recently arrested for assaulting three nurses at St. Rose Dominican Hospital in Henderson, Nevada, after The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 8 alum was admitted for taking 16 pills of Klonopin — an anti-anxiety drug — "in an attempt to harm himself," according to the Las Vegas Review Journal." -- MMA Mania Junie told the nurses: "Do you know who I am? I will kill you and rape your family."

And there ya have it.

DW: Actually, we’ve been talking about making the Octagon smaller. We’re considering making it smaller. [uFC matchmaker] Joe Silva wants it. I think he wants to turn the thing into a [expletive] bathtub. Have them fight in a little tollbooth.
Edited by ACCBiggz

something I've always wondered, and I still don't understand... judges decision. How is it scored and whatnot? To me, it's just a stream of numbers that somehow equal out to a winner.

Might be a stupid question but oh well.

Lock Dana and Tito in a tollbooth together for 24 hours and stream it live via UFC.com. I promise you they would break all sorts of records.

Tito/Forrest II is a little disappointing for me. I would like to see both men pick a win before facing again, especially Griffin.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

something I've always wondered, and I still don't understand... judges decision. How is it scored and whatnot? To me, it's just a stream of numbers that somehow equal out to a winner.

Might be a stupid question but oh well.

US Rules: 10 point must system. The winner of the round gets 10 points, the loser gets 9 or less (usually only 8 if dominated, rare to see a 7 or below - usually happens if ref takes a point or something like that). So for three rounds if you win them all, 30-27. Just depends on each round. If he wins the first, 10-9... dominates the second 10-8....loses the third, the score would read: 29-27. In a very close round where you can't pick a winner and it's just dead even it's scored 10-10 although we haven't really seen this utilized.

Edit: Just more on this. The above covers scoring and unanimous decisions. If two judges have it for fighter A and another for fighter B that's a split decision. A majority decision is where two judges see fighter A win and then the third judge deems it a draw. A majority draw is the opposite - 2 judges say its a draw, another score it for either fighter.

In Japan, the fight is scored on a whole. And they place an emphasis on trying to finish the fight. So if you dominated for 9:30 off of lay and prey and your opponent got up and started winging punches to finish - you may lose because he was percieved to be trying to finish the fight. But generally, just scored on a whole instead of by rounds. I'm no sure if Sengoku utilizes 10-point must system because they are under unified rules.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Lock Dana and Tito in a tollbooth together for 24 hours and stream it live via UFC.com. I promise you they would break all sorts of records.

Tito/Forrest II is a little disappointing for me. I would like to see both men pick a win before facing again, especially Griffin.

I'm the opposite. I want to see it after their first match, a decision I didn't agree with. And plus, I detest Tito more than any fighter on the planet, so I'd just love to see Griffin rebound from his loss to Silva and destroy Tito. They've both got something to prove out there in their own ways, so it should be a good fight.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I like Tito/Forrest II because it's basically a no-lose situation - if Forrest wins, a third match could do big business and it doesn't really hurt Tito because Forrest's a former champ too. If Tito wins, it means Forrest is irrevocably scared from the Silva fight, but most people will just see it as a big win for Tito to put him back at headliner status.

• Like 3

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Have to wonder if Strikeforce put that match together just to piss off DREAM. I'm hoping for a Mousasi win, but there's no way I'm not watching that entire show. Gonna be immense.

That would not be the reason considering they are partners in a talent exchange. And there really is no hoping for a win, he is going to run through Sokoudjou like a hot knife through butter. Very easy win.

Arlovski going to train with Jackson's:

GSP, KenFlo, Rashad, Jardine, Marquardt, Carwin, Stevenson, and now Arlovski.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Has anyone seen that? I just got linked to it today and I thought it was awesome.

Saw it when it went up and didn't like it. Not because the premise is bad, just poorly executed. Would have been 1000% more effective if the guy he was yelling at didn't go up to him, but instead acted in fear. Going off of memory, didn't he go up and grab him - then Mayhem yelled at him.... and HE DID IT AGAIN. Which, if I were there I'd have called shenanigans as soon as that happened, yet they let it drag on a little bit more, and somehow people didn't quite get it.

Mayhem was good at acting mad though, his mannerisms were realistic... the other guy ruined it though.