MMA News and Discussion Thread

Arlovski definitely needs to call it a career, but sadly I think he'll still continue on for a few more fights.

Great job by Antonio Silva, though. Really enjoyed that fight and I loved seeing Bigfoot take the win. I think it's time for Fedor to give light heavyweight a try. He really should try cutting to 205 and seeing how he does there, because at least there he will be fighting guys who probably end up cutting from the same weight he usually fights at heavyweight at, so he'd be on a level playing field.

Overall I enjoyed the fights. Nothing was bad, all had good finishes.

Rough night for Fedor, he's surely gotta go down to 205 after this. My friend and I were joking about how Strikeforce basically felt it had a Fedor vs. Overeem match in the bag and would be able to cash in, so of course Fedor would lose in the first round. This ended up happening. He's just too small, and it's not really an indictment of him as a fighter. I could see him dominating in 205, but the aura surrounding him is gone and even with a drop in weight class will never come back.

I don't think dropping down to 205 is the answer here. Fedor doesn't have to prove anything, he's already done it all (except, you know, UFC), he's already the Greatest Heavyweight MMA Fighter of All-Time. I think it's time to hang it up. I'd still love to see Fedor/Overeem/Werdum, though.

• Like 1

Fedor dropping to 205 makes no sense, really. He's spent his entire career at heavyweight and never cut weight. The loss to Werdum had nothing to do with size. He's just aged and it happens to everyone. Plus he wouldn't enjoy his speed/cardio advantage at LHW that he has at HW (though he would have a KO power edge, most likely).

I think it's time to call it quits, sadly... just too many wars. Epic career and an incredible legacy.

Its just sad that we won't get to see Fedor/Overeem :(

Still he needs to retire as does Arlovski as all Arlovski is going to do is fighting low/mid tier heavyweights he isn't going to challenge for the top and he just keeps getting brutally knocked out.

My thoughts:

- Wow, the show started fast... 4 R1-finishes, I was allready thinking that for the first time Strikeforce would show us an undercard match. But no, they just talked a bit more :-)

- I loved the 'over-the-top' tournament fighters introduction. Reminded me of the NBA All-Star introductions... I think for the fighters, this adds to the feeling of this tournament being special.

- I think Del Rosario should fight Griggs or V.Overeem next...to eliminate another alternate fighter.

- The ending was pretty sad though. Arlovski has really lost it now... 4 KO's in a row, that's gotta hurt and not only in a physical way. I think he should be done, in UFC he probably would be allready (see Liddell). Still very sad to see a former champion slide like this. Same thing with Fedor. He was unbeatable and lost now to two guys that weren't even considered to be THE top-guys. What's more... where you could say that against Werdum he was 'caught' by being a bit too eager, it was clear against A.Silva that he was getting dominated. Doctor stoppage or not, he wouldn't have won this match.

- Barnett is still my favorite for the tournament, though. He also has the best interviews :-)

I like that Strikeforce rewrites history, while I am not disputing the four losses for Arlovski, at least his loss to Big Foot was via Decision and not KO, so technically he has lost 3 of his past 4 by KO

And to be honest Big Foot has been knocking on the door of the "Top guys" in the heavyweight division for a while, its just his pesky suspension for over the counter steroids back him up for a year, as far as North America is concerned anyhow.

I read there's talk of Fedor being the top alternate for the semifinals. That's just, wow, TNA-level booking. I don't care how famous the guy is and how much money you spent on him, he was beyond destroyed last night. If it was a split decision there would be logic behind that, but when a guy gets beaten to a pulp there's no justification.

While I agree that he shouldn't be the top alternate I can think of one valid reason for Strikeforce to do it...

I would still pay money to see Fedor fight, I would not pay, or pay the same amount of money to see Valentijn Overeem, Shane Del Rosario or Chad Griggs fight.

The argument for making Fedor an alternate is a fairly strong one. Fedor would most likely beat any of the other alternates on any given night. If you want the best fighters in the GP it makes sense to have the best fighters as alternates. It does suck for the other alternates though.

I'd be trying to sign him to an extra fight and have him fight the top alternate at the next show if he's off medical suspension (potentially doubtful as he may not have enough time to train as I'd assume it will be no contact).

Then he can pop up to replace Barnett when he fails his drug test :shifty:. or fight in the semis and finals with no contract issue and he's earnt his spot back in.

Plus he has never been opposed to fighting a 'can' (yes yes these guys aren't cans)

Does anybody else think that if Arlovski doesn't want to stop fighting Strikeforce should book Arlovski-Herschell Walker? I think that would be an easily marketable fight, Arlovski isn't likely to get knocked out again. If Walker loses, no harm is done. He's never going to challenge for a title anyway... and his credibility won't be tarnished as Arlovski is a (or better was) top fighter. If Walker wins, it would immediately give him a push on the rankings.

For Arlovski a win at this point (whoever the opponent) is an important one. If he loses... well, he's not going to challenge for a title anymore either.

(I still think Arlovski should retire though... Never ever give him an opponent with KO power ever again... cause the way he went down last fight, I'm starting to fear he will not get up the next time).

cause the way he went down last fight, I'm starting to fear he will not get up the next time

That's precisely why he shouldn't fight again, there is only so many times the brain can be switched off like that and there not be long term damage.

That's precisely why he shouldn't fight again, there is only so many times the brain can be switched off like that and there not be long term damage.

Agreed. But if he really were to fight again, I'd prefer someone as Walker above one of the Overeems, Del Rosario, Rogers or a rematch with Emelianenko... (that's what I meant with my post).