MMA News and Discussion Thread

Cormier looked a bit euhm... fat to me, allthough I probably would say something totally different if he was standing right in front of me. Still, I think he could probably go for light heavyweight. Barnett-Cormier should be a good fight, but the hype for this GP is entirely gone. Silva-Barnett would have been better in that regard.

Rockhold-Jacare was a great title fight in my opinion. If the UFC has brought in Cung Le and Mayhem, they certainly should bring in these two too. Could give the middleweight division some much needed new faces for The Spider to walk through. In that regard, speculating about who Rockhold will face next is a bit pointless. Who knows how long it'll take before he ends up at UFC.

Cormier looked a bit euhm... fat to me, allthough I probably would say something totally different if he was standing right in front of me. Still, I think he could probably go for light heavyweight. Barnett-Cormier should be a good fight, but the hype for this GP is entirely gone. Silva-Barnett would have been better in that regard.

Rockhold-Jacare was a great title fight in my opinion. If the UFC has brought in Cung Le and Mayhem, they certainly should bring in these two too. Could give the middleweight division some much needed new faces for The Spider to walk through. In that regard, speculating about who Rockhold will face next is a bit pointless. Who knows how long it'll take before he ends up at UFC.

Daniel Cormier cant Cut wait he wrecked his Kidneys cutting Weight in the Olympics

And i imagine by early next year Strikeforce will be Dissolved and all there Talent will be in the UFC

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mr. potato head

The Observer reports that MFC has signed a deal with TSN.

The reality - hard to find as neither the MFC website nor the TSN media site mention a word, it seems to have only been reported in this Edmonton Sun story - is that HDNet still gets to show MFC cards first, but 30 days after that, TSN2 can start showing them.

So that won't do much for MFC. Especially now that Rogers seems to have dropped HDNet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently part of the Showtime/Strikeforce deal was that Melendez & Rockhold needed to stay in Strikeforce and couldn't go to the UFC. If that is the case, they really should add some UFC lightweights to the Strikeforce roster to challenge Melendez.

In fact... I think they should 'trade' Masvidal and Maynard. Jorge Masvidal allready beat KJ Noons & Billy Evangelista and lost his title against Melendez. Even if he'd beat JZ Cavalcante, Caros Fodor or Josh Thomson... would anybody really be interested in another Melendez-Masvidal? So put Masvidal in the UFC and send some of their fighters to Strikeforce. First of all... Gray Maynard. An excellent fighter that fought the champion Edgar twice and isn't going to challenge him again soon in the deep lightweight division. But he could immediately challenge Melendez. It wouldn't hurt the UFC roster to lose him and it would really strengthen the Strikeforce one. Book Melendez Vs Maynard (a tough challenge for Gilbert Melendez and if he dominates, he would even be considered as the n°1 lightweight fighter). I also think they could send Clay Guida or George Sotiropoulos to Strikeforce... and some lesser known 'prospects'.

Edited by bolleje

Well... either they decide to make it a feeder league... or it's not sending down. If they really don't want to send Melendez to UFC they'll have to bring in some good guys to fight him instead. Melendez vs Noons or Melendez vs Fodor won't do! It's either top contenders (Pettis, Miller) or the guys that had a recent loss (Guida, Maynard, Sotiropoulos)...

• 2 weeks later...

Who's staying up for the Dream/K-1/IGF show tonight?

Tim Sylvia in a pro wrestling match!

And first fight ends with a knock out by way of a slam, and maybe a broken neck.