European U21 Championships

IAceI

The funny thing is that if England fans were racist to the Serbs then we'd be defending the team saying its only a small minority of fans not a true representation of the country, whenever we go abroad and get drunk and cause fights its generally acceptable so why should a team be kicked out for what the fans do?

I know that one player allegedly spat on an england player, but if that is the case that player should be suspended not the team, and that kind of action should have taken place already not left until the end of the tournament where it will be too late.

I find it funny that people are showing so much hatred towards the Serbs when they were the most succesful in their group, and now have a place in the final - not that their team effort has anything to do with the racism arguement but you'd agree that if a team were doing excellently in a football tournament or league and were kicked out for something a small minority did they'd be pissed. They deserve to be in the final through defeating teams, not because you have an irrational dislike for them because even though we defeated them they are doing better than us

Hell if they win the tourney people'll be complaining even more, mainly because we think we should have been in their place...

oh wait a minute, if Serbia faced an easy team then shouldn't we have came first in our group so that we could face them instead of Holland <_<

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serbia obviously can't be kicked out of the competition, but I agree that they should face very stiff punishment once it's over. Everyone deserves due diligence and in my opinon, justice cannot be served in that short of a time period. As for the Dutch, yea the keeper may have been off his line but I mean if the ref doesn't enforce it you can hardly be angry at the Dutch for it. If you've got blame to place, place it on him for botching a seemingly easy call.

UEFA have threatened in the past with major penalties and countries being kicked out of tournaments for this kinda thing, so having placed it on the table, they should act when it occurs.

The funny thing is that if England fans were racist to the Serbs then we'd be defending the team saying its only a small minority of fans not a true representation of the country, whenever we go abroad and get drunk and cause fights its generally acceptable so why should a team be kicked out for what the fans do?

I know that one player allegedly spat on an england player, but if that is the case that player should be suspended not the team, and that kind of action should have taken place already not left until the end of the tournament where it will be too late.

I find it funny that people are showing so much hatred towards the Serbs when they were the most succesful in their group, and now have a place in the final - not that their team effort has anything to do with the racism arguement but you'd agree that if a team were doing excellently in a football tournament or league and were kicked out for something a small minority did they'd be pissed. They deserve to be in the final through defeating teams, not because you have an irrational dislike for them because even though we defeated them they are doing better than us

See what I said above, but also add the point that there is a mjor difference between fans clashing with each other abroad (which, believe it or not, isn't just an English thing, or indeed a football thing) and acts of racism towards footballers. Even if it is a small minority, the warnings have been in place, and UEFA should act upon it. It wasn't even in a 'kick them out, we'll take thier place' type of argument, Italy could have taken thier place as they finished 3rd. But to throw it all on jealousy is mildly retarded.

Anyone see Rossi's sending off? An utter joke.

He was given the second yellow for protests. I wasn't there to hear or see what Rossi said or did (I think he did some kind of gesture that I wasn't able to see very well), but I have to take the referee's word since he was the one closest to him.

Hell if they win the tourney people'll be complaining even more, mainly because we think we should have been in their place...

oh wait a minute, if Serbia faced an easy team then shouldn't we have came first in our group so that we could face them instead of Holland <_>

Wait, what? The fans were racist, Derbyshire was spat at, and there was, apparantly, racism to the English players, from the Serb players in the tunnel. So yes, they should be punished. And no, if England acted like that, we wouldn't be defending them. & ugh, right, when is it ever 'acceptable' when English fans fight?

The anger to the Serbs has nothing to do with them getting further than us, it's how they behaved. Stop trying to play devils advocate. We have designated members to do that.

I think I can provide an unbiased opinion, or at least one that can't be replied to with 'lol, bitter English'.

UEFA can withdraw anyone from their competitions for any reason. They're the bosses. Racism is a very, valid reason, but in their defence, the Serbia team was very quick to join UEFA's anti-racism side, and were throwing t-shirts or something out to fans about it.

The Dutch goalkeeper, was cheating, repeatedly. You do not do that by accident. It's just as much cheating as it is to pick the ball up off the penalty spot and sit it back down about 5 yards further away. How the referee was missing it was astounding. Fair enough, he never saw the first one, but he did it EVERYTIME. It's a huge advantage, and poor sportsmanship.

England played marginally better than the Netherlands throughout their game. They weathered the storm despite their injuries at the end and all through extra time and were leading until the last few minutes of normal time quite comfortably.

And everyone knows last year's World Cup was heavily ruined by amateur dramatics, specifically on Italy's part. That's a fact, not an opinion or 'bitterness'.

In fairness, the only thing the Dutch did against us, was the goalkeeping antics, but it was very crucial. Other than that it seemed very sporting and fair, but we have a right to complain about it just as much as we are. Their goalkeeper wasn't playing by the rules, we were, but the referee decided not to enforce the rules.

There's nothing bitter about it, we're annoyed we lost a match we seemingly could have won - and seems we should have won in normal time. We're not complaining about the manner they scored their goal, even if we hadn't scored a similar goal against Serbia just before it, because they're the rules. It's within the rules so fair play to them, they scored the goal. However the goalkeeper was downright cheating in the penalty shootout, so we call him out on that. All we get is called bitter.

But then again, you don't seem overly bother in the way the Serbia players and fans conducted themselves so what should we expect?

Credit to Kraig, shows that my hope for Scotland to do well isn't just way and there are Scottish people who don't want to see England harshly done by. (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late I know but my pc crashed 3 weeks ago, finally have a new one. Holland played their best match against Serbia, Babel was on fire. Unlucky England, but Waterman jumping forwards every penalty was just smart. It's not allowed but he played it very smart and the referee said nothing so he obviously approved it.

Played it smart, is that what it's called. I managed to snap a video of him on my mobile phone, it was one of the ones he saved against Reo-Coker, it wasn't his worst offense though.

England should be very proud they managed to put as many penalties passed him as they did.

And yeah, congratulations to Holland playing their best against Serbia. If I recall correctly, if we go off performances - since that's what we're discussing - Serbia had what, one good game? Against Belgium.

They played boring, negative football against Italy. They were pretty uninspiring against Czech Republic and nicked a last gasp goal, again. They were poor against England. They played well against Belgium, and then were pathetic against Holland.

Holland played their best game against England, and seemingly England played their best game against Holland. Beating a team 4-1 in a final, doesn't necessarily mean they played better than in a close victory which they managed to pull out of the hat. Blinded by a scoreline as opposed to a performance there.

Played it smart, is that what it's called. I managed to snap a video of him on my mobile phone, it was one of the ones he saved against Reo-Coker, it wasn't his worst offense though.

England should be very proud they managed to put as many penalties passed him as they did.

And yeah, congratulations to Holland playing their best against Serbia. If I recall correctly, if we go off performances - since that's what we're discussing - Serbia had what, one good game? Against Belgium.

They played boring, negative football against Italy. They were pretty uninspiring against Czech Republic and nicked a last gasp goal, again. They were poor against England. They played well against Belgium, and then were pathetic against Holland.

Holland played their best game against England, and seemingly England played their best game against Holland. Beating a team 4-1 in a final, doesn't necessarily mean they played better than in a close victory which they managed to pull out of the hat. Blinded by a scoreline as opposed to a performance there.

• 2 weeks later...

Uefa has fined the Football Association of Serbia €24,000 (£16,000) for the racist abuse dished out by Serbia players and supporters, towards England players in the recent clash between the two nations.

This summer's European Under 21 Championship game, which ended in a 2-0 victory for England, was marred by abuse both on the pitch and in the stands, with Nedum Onuoha and Justin Hoyte singled out for racist insults and chanting.

Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body have confirmed that they fined the Serbian FA for the racist chanting of supporters and the improper conduct of their players after England's second goal.

England, too, have not escaped the wrath of European football's governing body, with the Football Association having been fined €3,000 (£2,000) for the behaviour of their players at the final whistle.

Serbia have been given three days to appeal the charge, while the decision against England is final.

Well, that will show them. :rolleyes:

As much as we English often make out we're hard done by, I have no doubts that if racist chanting came from England fans or an English national coach made racist comments (a la Spain) we'd be fucked by UEFA. Look how quick they were to criticise Man Utd away in Europe this year, as well as Spurs. Hardly a mention of foreign policing, or the behaviour of Roma fans in particular.