Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that wasn't bad enough, 7-10 were all released over the course of 4 years. :(

I don't think I've ever hated a company like I do Square-Enix. Everything I ever liked about them is gone.

Before Square could do no wrong in my eyes....now they're just another random company.

Now my love is for Atlus and the Persona series. Best series ever!

In a what probably not a shared opinion I'm finally playing XIII-2 and it's then most fun I've had with a FF since IX.

I liked the story for XIII but the gameplay bored me to tears.

You're totally not wrong, FFXIII-2 is arguably the only good Final Fantasy game released since the PS2. It's all the promise of XIII's systems but none of the restrictions. The gameplay in XIII isn't bad, it's just limited and linear as fuck. XIII-2 took those chains off and added some more stuff to mix it up.

I mean, the story was pretty average, but I had so much fun actually playing the game that it didn't matter. I think I actually got close to beating all the extra bosses too, before something new attracted my attention.

Crisis Core was horrid. I enjoyed as it was characters I was familiar with in a world I loved and Angeal and the other baddie were pretty boss but pretty much as soon as I finished it I stopped liking it and had literally zero interest in going back for more.

I still maintain XII was fantastic, there were a lot of flaws and it seemed like square were just throwing a lot of shit to see what stuck but the world was beautiful, the combat was good fun and there was a hell of a lot to do.

IX is still the peak for me, everything went downhill from there.

I love the final sentence of the FF7 official introduction:

“An energy manufacturing mega-company known as Shinra, Inc. is harvesting the sheer life energy of the Planet (known as the Lifestream) as a simple fossil fuel. The Lifestream is processed and made into products ranging from electricity and heat to Mako and Materia. The latter two materials can work miracles, granting the wisdom of the Ancients to the user.

However, the Lifestream, like most other fuels, is finite in supply, and the Planet's lifeforce is being malevolently drained by the constant exploitation of Mako by Shinra. Though aware of the harmful effects, they function without remorse.

However, the real battle lies not with a corporation, but a force much more competent from the distant past. A long-thought dead warrior bent on becoming a god by draining all of the Lifestream from the Planet has risen again and will stop at nothing to achieve his goal.

Now a small rebel group emanating from the slums must quell the various dangers toward the innocent, and one mercenary for hire must look amidst the lies and deception and find the man he is within.”

It sounds like a metaphor, but it is so wonderfully telling you Cloud's story right in your face, but you don't even know it until you play the game.

Crisis Core was horrid. I enjoyed as it was characters I was familiar with in a world I loved and Angeal and the other baddie were pretty boss but pretty much as soon as I finished it I stopped liking it and had literally zero interest in going back for more.

I still maintain XII was fantastic, there were a lot of flaws and it seemed like square were just throwing a lot of shit to see what stuck but the world was beautiful, the combat was good fun and there was a hell of a lot to do.

IX is still the peak for me, everything went downhill from there.

But X had 'Ride zee Shoopuf?'

• Like 2

Just picked up the FFX/X-2 remaster and I forgot how fun the sphere grid and the character switching in battle are. They really knocked it out of the park with the CGI too; with the touch ups, some of it looks phenomenal, even by today's standards. Voice acting is still iffy but it has a funny kind of charm 12 years removed.