Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing my first canon Final Fantasy game - FF7 because it was on sale on Steam. It's really fun! The combat system is kind of weird - not used to a quasi-turn-based system rather than true turn-based. It's an intriguing concept though that i'm surprised I haven't seen replicated elsewhere. (Mind you the genre isn't one i'm super-familiar with. Maybe it's in all the games I haven't yet played and/or maybe the timer is propietary?) I really like the pacing of the story. I feel like i'm being exposed to the story at just the right pace to make me care without being overwhelmed.

I also really like the way they've set the world in terms of like...technology. There's swords, guns, magic and all of them feel (approximately) equally useful. I find so few games that want to span hand-to-hand weaponry and firearms use both properly. Mind you, maybe that's because the only guy i've seen who actually uses a sword is a total badass (me).

• Like 4

There's an lparchive post where a guy went into detail to point out the good things about X-2 (I love X-2 myself, but I know a fair many don't) and tries to figure out what the developers intended where things go astray. I like to go back over it from time to time cause he has some good points.

For instance, the opening concert basically being a no-fail scenario for Leblanc. Either she beats Yuna and crew, else she's still fleeced a ton of money out of concertgoers and Yuna is still too caring to even consider telling the truth and blowing Leblanc's scheme.

How's IV? Managed to find a copy of it and 'The After Years' on PSP today for a couple of quid, looks gorgeous. It's like if someone did a HD remaster of an SNES game or something. I know they did IV on DS as well in the same style as the III remake but I was never sure about the looks of those games.

Funny how I found myself trying to press O to progress text. I didn't think I'd played enough of 7 on here to get that engrained in my head but I evidently did.

Yeah, it's the thing that puts me off MMORPGs, I either want to pay all at once and get it over with, or get the game free and just pay a subscription fee. Doing both just seems incredibly fucked.

That's really the only thing keeping me from playing XIV; well, that and (at least when I was given a free month of game time by my brother) the massive amount of spambots in the spawn cities.