*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight *SPOILERS*

Guest Coowra

To Protoman

I admire your passion for Batman and such, but the two scenarios you laid out would never translate onto the big screen without coming off as Spider-Man 3esque cinematic abortions that try to do way too much in one film and wrap it all up nicely. I don't want to see more than 2 bat villains together at once, ever otherwise you'll end up with way too much going on.

Mad Hatter raises far too many issues and his borderline pedophila is probably too dark of a place for this series to go. Plus the glut of Alice in Wonderland adult aimed movies that are supposed to be coming out, it'd never work out.

Any gimmicked up criminal won't fit in the Nolan universe, just like Freeze, Clayface and Killer Croc won't. Black Mask is the logical choice in my estimation, he's a freak and he's taking over gotham's organized crime.

Edited by Maxx

I would bet money we won't see Black Mask. The Mob lost in this movie. As much as it was about the ascension of the freaks, as much as it was about the character arc of The White Knight Harvey Dent, as much as it was about why Bruce now won't ever stop being The Batman, it was also about the death of the old guard in Gotham. That old guard was the mob and the gangs that run it. The power vacuum from Carmine Falcone's imprisonment in Arkham was explored well in TDK, but they all lost. The Joker took over the city for all intents and purposes. Whoever said it wuld be a step back to go with Black Mask and the Mob again I think nailed it. It would be a step backwards. The freaks are out in Gotham now. Escalation has been achieved. The only way to go from here is farther towards the dark and the freaks.

And off the top of my head, David Caine, Lady Shiva, Deadshot, Talia Al Ghul, and Scarface and The Ventriloquist could all be used, not counting The Riddler, Bane, The Black Mask, Calendar Man, and Hush who were already mentioned. Batman's Rogues are awesome, and with the right tweaking any of them could fit into this version of the Bat Universe. I for one have trenemdous faith in Goyer and Nolan and all involved to make the villain(s) of the third movie work, no matter who they might be.

Oh and despite the rumors that Anthony Michael Hall's character was Edward Nygma, he was in fact a character named Mike Engel, who as far as I know is nobody other than the newsman he was portrayed as. The film dealt with the politics and the media of Gotham. Hell, the scenes with Engel reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns where Frank Miller used the media to tell his story as much as anything else.

That's most of the lost post.

'The Dark Knight' shattered the single day record, raking in an estimated $66.4 million on Friday. The previous champ was 'Spider-Man 3,' which made $59.8 million on the first day of its release. 'Spider-Man 3' went on to gross $151.1 million on its opening weekend, which is the current benchmark for 'Dark Knight' to beat

The official Friday total for The Dark Knight courtesy of Box Office Mojo.

Heading out in a moment but I wanted to point some thing out to Maxx real quick...

SM #3 had three, Dark Knight had three. Not every bad guy would need a back story or major screen time. I.E. Some would be used as small fries and not get much more than about fifthteen minutes of air time like the mob and Scarecrow in the DK. It can be done, just has to be handled well.

Oh, and teej...

Deadshot was in the Gotham Knight DVD. But they could bring in Deathstroke as they are similar and basic M.O., albeit DS has become more of a Teen Titans' baddie in recent years. Or, I suppose revisit Deadshot as I haven't seen the DVD yet, so unsure of what his fate was in it. Might've just been thrown in jail or into the asylum.
Edited by Protoman Version 2.5

Here's a two month old article I found on AICN (which got it off CinemaBlend) about Batman 3:

This is the first full article I've seen anywhere concerning the sequel to The Dark Knight so I guess it's time for everyone to get theorising and discussing! If nothing else, the article confirms Nolan is on board for it and that The Joker was originally meant to be in it but has now been written out. There will be no attempt to re-cast the role. It also hints at a Dark Victory angle - which could be cool...but I'm not sure I want to see a big screen Robin again anytime soon, plus Nolan has said before that he doesn't like the character.

The Dark Knight may still be months away, but planning for a third Batman movie is already happening, somewhere deep in the Warner Bros. lair. Tonight, in a flurry of superhero related messages between me and a long time scooper and friend of the site, we uncovered some of the details about where exactly Batman goes next, after he's finished with the Joker in Dark Knight.

Make no mistake by the way, Joker really is out of the picture after this movie, at least according to our source. We're told that the Joker indeed was supposed to be back for another film, and that they did consider simply recasting the part for the inevitable Batman 3, but that those plans have been scrapped after the tragedy of Heath Ledger's death. Joker has been written out of the Batman 3 script.

Instead, our scooper tells us we'll get a lot more Two-Face. No surprise there. Anyone who's seen the recent trailer for The Dark Knight knows the current movie will be dealing with the creation of Batman's scarred, coin-flipping bad guy. It looks like Batman 3 will continue with his story. We couldn't get specific details from our source, but she says the third film will be referencing the Batman graphic novels "The Long Halloween".

Obviously, this isn't set in stone, but it looks like we might just be getting the Holiday Killer next movie, with some obvious tweaks. The Long Halloween graphic novel is sitting on top of my desk, I guess I should go ahead and read it now.
Edited by Mysterio2000X

I went to see it Thursday at midnight and with 20 minutes left, the reel caught fire and I didn't get to see the end. Thankfully, I got off work early last night and went again to see the whole thing, even the second time the movie just flies by, so damn good.

Clearly the projector couldn't handle how awesome the movie was. Clearly.

But seriously, I hope everyone in the theater was vouchered. Did they try to do anything else, like offering popcorn and such? Was it something they tried to fix?

Why do you guys keep saying you never see Dent's body?

Because they all forgot that he was lieing totally stone cold silent and unmoving as Gordon and Batman talked about the future? I wondered the same thing multiple times and almost posted it a few times after the fifth person made the same erroneous comment.

Because you never see a casket at the service. Gordon could've simply said that Dent's body was lost among the rubble of the hospital. Remember how he spoke about keeping the fact that Dent was missing tight lipped? Batman 3 could open with Mike Engal reporting on rumors that Dent is being kept away in Arkham.

A sequel without the Joker is disappointing but right. They aren't going to try to outdo what Ledger did. They can't. I just don't think Two-Face should come back. He was done very well and had an awesome story arch. I don't know where else they could go that they can't do with another character.

I will bet you all that Dark Knight will break the weekend record. It has to. No film that broke the Friday record has yet to fail on breaking the weekend. It will probably make close to $170 Million. Edited by Universal

There's an article with Gary Oldman and Christopher Nolan floating about that says absolutely no decision has been made on The Joker. Nolan is very quiet on it while Oldman says there's no reason it couldn't be recast, but he doesn't know one way or the other.

Oh and despite the rumors that Anthony Michael Hall's character was Edward Nygma, he was in fact a character named Mike Engel, who as far as I know is nobody other than the newsman he was portrayed as. The film dealt with the politics and the media of Gotham. Hell, the scenes with Engel reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns where Frank Miller used the media to tell his story as much as anything else.

What I'm trying to wonder is how you take a talent like Anthony Michael Hall and give him such a small role. You never know if there's more to this "Mike Engel" than meets the eye. I'm kinda hoping I'm right.

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS AND CALL ME BETSY.

Seriously, that was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Top five no doubt, maybe even top three.

It is the best superhero movie of all time. This is what cinema should be.

Heath Ledger, what can I say? Performance of a lifetime no doubt, and it really is tragic he won't get to see the reactions to his work. Every single scene he was in he was brilliant. Not once did I think "This is someone acting."

Seriously, he draws you in so god damned well, there were times I forgot I was watching Heath Ledger portraying The Joker. Even scenes he isn't in, I thought to myself "Fuck, when is The Joker going to pop up?"

He was sadistic as fuck and got away with quite a bit for a PG-13 movie as far as just how fucked up he was.

Furthermore, dear God does The Joker ever make you think and the relationship between Batman and The Joker was played out BRILLIANTLY. Christian Bale was definitely no slouch either.

The way the two just seem know (The Joker more so than Batman) they need each other to basically exist and have a purpose is really well done, too.

Gary Oldman was brilliant.

Aaron Eckhardt (spelling?) was awesome too.

A lot of times when I watch movies, I will acknowledge that something is great, but it takes a lot to really get me to think and feel. I was able to think and feel and get disturbed and creeped out and a whole bunch of shit by this movie. It was fantastic.

Nolan did a fucking AMAZING job directing. Brilliant use of the score, too.

Especially:

When the huge chase scene occurs and Nolan uses NO MUSIC at all. I thought that was sheer fucking brilliance.

Again, Ledger was just absolutely CHILLING and Eckhardt (again, spelling) had some great scenes that really got to me as well,

especially after he became Two-Face. The whole scene with him having Comissioner Gordon's family. Wooowww.

Speaking of Gordon, HOLY SWERVE TO FIND OUT HE'S ALIVE.

Not to mention Morgan Freeman, Maggie Gyllenhal, and Michael Caine were solid too. The entire cast was fucking superb. It would take a lot to steal the scenes when EVERYONE was nailing it and Ledger did it. Eckhardt did it a few times, too.

All in all, ten out of fucking ten no doubt. Top five films of all time? Definitely.

Christopher Nolan a brilliant director? Dear God yes. His use of the score was some of the best I've seen in a loooooong time.

Heath Ledger? Awe-inspiring, disturbing, emotional, brilliant fucking performance. He sucked me in and he really made me feel.

I swear, any time he had a knife to someone I nearly shat myself.

The thing is, Ledger was so damned convincing and so committed and so just absurd in the way he spoke, but he played his role with such conviction and the dialogue was so fucking brilliant that what he was saying throughout the movie, in some kind of fucked up way you couldn't help but find yourself agree with some things he said. Sure, he went about things in an awful way, but some of his batshit insane logic made sense. It was really a reflection upon morals, heroes, anarchy, just a bunch of deep shit that made you think.

Oscar nominations all around, to be quite honest.

Not only do all superhero movies have a big challenge to top this movie, but movies in general do. In fact, actors do too.

This movie is a phenomenon and for good reason. It deserves every bit of hype it gets.

Fuck, I'm seeing this at least two more times in theatres.

Great movie. Really a great movie. Acting, plot, everything was superb.

Ledger was the star here. Bale was the star for Begins, and Ledger was for Dark Knight. As was said Ledger's scenes were top notch and he delivered to full capacity in each and every one of them. Not once could I actually look at The Joker and go "That is Heath Ledger," not even

When Batman propped the chair against the door and starting to beat the shit out of him, causing some of the makeup to come off

The ending of the movie NEEDS a third one to be made, as it can't just leave off there regardless of it surpassing Dark Knight or not. To not do a movie just based on fear of not being able to outdo this one would be ludicrous. The only reason I could see a third not being made is not being able to recast The Joker. But I believe it can be done. Nobody thought Ledger would be able to pull it off until trailers leaked out showing him in character.

Joker getting to Dent was good, and it shows Two Face as more than just someone killing people. The way his character was brought out after the fire was excellent. He may or may not be dead, and I personally wish he isnt because Id like to see what Nolan could do with the character in a third, especially when Batman is the one people are after when Dent knows they should be after him.

Rachel dying was unexpected, but a great way to bring Two Face out. Plus the early scenes of Dent with the coin were nicely done to foreshadow Two Face later on.

As Teej, I believe, said: Deebo. I LOVED the scene where Joker had Batman down and was looking out at the boats, letting out the small smile only to be dissapointed that neither boat was blown up.

Fucking Gordon faking his death was beautiful.

The Joker took the movie, though. Everything he did, from the beginning where he staged the other 5 killing eachother and simply shooting the bus driver after asking "What happened to them?", to his magic trick, to pretending to be dead for the black guy, to his one phonecall... Just everything. Putting the bomb inside the guy in the cell and using the phonecall to detonate it was a nice touch. His blade he always carried around was nice as well as I was just waiting for him to cut somebody up with it. The two different stories for how he got the scars was a great way to leave his backstory a mystery, and a third would have been great as someone else said. Dropping Rachel out the window after being told to let her go... Really, even if the movie is a Batman movie, The Joker was the star of The Dark Knight.

The ending was a great way to set up a third one. Even if they recast The Joker for a smaller role, a third one would be great to either end the new series or to end the Joker/Two Face story and set up a fourth, which honestly I would not object to. I can see a third bringing Two Face back with it being revealed Dent was simply put into a coma or as was said in this thread brought to some hidden place to rehabilitate him or something. Two Face NEEDS to be in a third movie, just because Id love to see a third movie take Gotham wanting Batman taken out and the entire thing being spun around somehow to Two Face being the villain and Gotham needing Batman back.

Very great movie. I wish it didnt end, I wish Ledger was still alive to take in the glory and to star in a third. Superb movie, movie of the year, best Batman flick of all time (yes, even beating the 1989 one), Ledger is THE Joker for the fact that he pulled it off so well without seeming like the type that could do so (honestly, Jack was just being Jack in the original Batman to me. Nothing more, nothing less), and just everything Ledger did as The Joker, everything he said, the way he said and did those things, his tone of voice, EVERYTHING was fan-fucking-tastic. Even if nobody can fill the shoes of The Joker, I'd like to see the character recast for a possible third movie 1) to give The Joker to someone else to put their own spin onto and 2) I really want the character to live on in the third (and possible future films as a thorn in Batman's side).

Okay, this looks like it's going to give Spiderman 3 a run for its money. Tonight at my theater was much busier than last night, it is definitely going to break $120 million, and getting up to $150 million is a distinct possibility. Seriously, we had lines forming for showings from about 3pm onwards... all night.

And now, spoilers:

I watched the ending again during my break at work, and when Batman and Gordon are looking at the hostage situation in that one building (forget the name) and Batman decides he needs 5 minutes alone in there. Gordon remarks "Harvey's still in there. We need to save him, I need to save him." Safe to say, this quote was likely overlooked by all of us on a first viewing. Now that I see it again, I think it's pretty safe to say that if Two-Face continues as part of the story, he's definitely being locked up and Gordon and Batman are trying to save him.

Also, the reason I say Mad Hatter is ridiculous is largely because of his gimmick. It's something that could be well-done if Alice in Wonderland wasn't so overdone by everyone.

With the future of Dent...

The reason why I (can't speak for others) varied on Dent's fate is that he fell from pretty high up, yes but so did Batman. It isn't out of the realm of a realistic cop out by saying he was just knocked out and banged up badly from the fall, even if Batman also had his armor to soften the fall. I wouldn't like it and would prefer Dark Knight to be the end of Harvey but just saying, it could happen. Especially with the future of the Joker character now up in the air with Heath's death.

Plus as others have said, you never saw the body after the fall & aftermath.

As for Mysterio's post...

Not sure about how truthful that spoiler about the third film is. Since some of the things they made mention of, Harvey to be more precise, pretty much happened in Dark Knight. From the Gordon/Harvey/Batman trio alliance to Harvey's fall from grace to even his "death" in the Dark Victory, the continuing saga of LH. As well as I said for various reasons, the Holiday Murderer angle would need a lot of tweaking if they were to use it. Some thing that seems so much of a friggin' trouble when you won't get the big pay off it got in the comics and could use a similar scenario with Calendar Man much easier.

And, dam's...

Eh, guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on that. With or without Alice in Wonderland being a iconic theme that many have used or been inspired by, I think it could still work. If any thing, I think that is partially what could make a realistic Mad Hatter work so well. Him taking some thing most relate to their childhood, some thing innocent & pure and twisting it into some thing ugly & demented. Much like the Joker does with the image of a clown for most.

Just an idea here, but... with recasting the Joker: if they for whatever reason take this thing beyond a trilogy, and the Joker stays constant throughout... what about having a different actor play the Joker each movie? Still the same Joker, but as someone said earlier, his personality is always changing... if they make his appearance deteriorate more and more with every movie, and if the voices aren't TOO different, it could actually work.

Dunno though, just a thought, but... if you're going to recast the Joker, it would add to the enigmatic style the character is, I think, to cast him different each time. Because honestly, I doubt anyone could "replace" Ledger in the sequels, but if they turn it into something of a style for the character itself, it might get pulled off better then just sticking with one replacement after.