*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight *SPOILERS*

Guest Coowra

Saw it again a few days back and it was during that second showing (in IMAX which made the movie that much better) I caught one of many things I didn't the first time. After Batman steps in during that alley scene where Harvey is going to "blow the brains out of" one of Joker's men, Batman says his name. It might've been just because of the fact he said it kinda fast & his "death metal" voice can be hard to understand at times but I could've sworn he said the Mad Hatter's real name. Perhaps setting up a baddie for the future or maybe just a tease (similar to how the cats line between Fox & Bruce got people thinking of Catwoman).

Another line I didn't originally pick up at the midnight showing I went to the first time as funny as it is was this gem from Fox & Bruce...

Bruce: It uses sonar? So like a...

Fox: Yes Mister Wayne, like a submarine.

Cue a smirk and nod from Bruce. (For those that don't know, bats use sonar too.)

I just watched the film again, and Im still very sure that Dent shoots batman after a 'no' coin flip. It was the clean, not scratched side, that he got for the flip. Not that I really care, I dont read comics, but I like adaptation movies that are true to their concept.

In Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dent flips the coin to decide whether Batman will die in the Asylum at the hands of all the villains he put away, or whether he walks cleanly out the door... the coin lands on the scarred side, but Dent puts it away and says that he's free to go.

It's a struggle of human emotions and the concept of right and wrong as well as what's fair. If that indeed happens in the film, it's a matter of Two-Face being overcome by his emotions and believing Batman deserves it, no matter what his coin said.

I just watched the film again, and Im still very sure that Dent shoots batman after a 'no' coin flip. It was the clean, not scratched side, that he got for the flip. Not that I really care, I dont read comics, but I like adaptation movies that are true to their concept.

In Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dent flips the coin to decide whether Batman will die in the Asylum at the hands of all the villains he put away, or whether he walks cleanly out the door... the coin lands on the scarred side, but Dent puts it away and says that he's free to go.

It's a struggle of human emotions and the concept of right and wrong as well as what's fair. If that indeed happens in the film, it's a matter of Two-Face being overcome by his emotions and believing Batman deserves it, no matter what his coin said.

Everyone should read Arkham Asylum.

Anyway, here comes the obligatory 'I NEED TO SEE THIS AGAAAAINNZZZ!111!111111!11!' post. I just don't know when I will.

I enjoyed the Dark Knight very much, i saw it on Imax twice and believe that both Ledger and Eckhart(sp?) did wonderful jobs on their parts as the villains. If a third movie is made, I hope that they don't try and replace the joker, more then they just maybe show a shot of him in the asylum maybe dark in the shadows laughing to himself in a corner all insane like or somethin' they can surely use a clip of Ledger laughing from the first film...then just start with a new character development, and I think the Riddler would almost be a lock. If that is the case, I think that Crispin Glover would be perfect in that part.

It was the "bad heads" side of the coin and if it wasn't, chalk it up to an editing failure. Every instance of Two Face killing or sparing someone prior to that was decided by the coin flip, and he was prepared to kill himself based on a flip too, so it makes no sense that he's just ignore it once.

IMO and pretty much everyone else's opinion I guess, this is the top candidate for MOTY. Iron man to me was great but after I saw this I wet myself.... :pervert:

I actually wanted Joker to die at the end of this though. Even though they were already done filming around the time Ledger died, I wanted Joker to fall down to his death laughing at the end. I don't wanna see another joker in the next movie because I really dont think anyone can lead up as Joker after Ledger. But if they were to then damn...Ledger did a extremely great job in this movie.

It was the "bad heads" side of the coin and if it wasn't, chalk it up to an editing failure. Every instance of Two Face killing or sparing someone prior to that was decided by the coin flip, and he was prepared to kill himself based on a flip too, so it makes no sense that he's just ignore it once.

Yes, but you need to step into his mind a little here. You look like that, you've lost the only person you really care about... what's worth living for other than vengeance? That's why he's prepared to kill himself. He looks around, and sees that nobody who's dealt with him is truly an innocent, which is why he's prepared to kill them based on a coin flip... and he looks at Batman and sees the reason why 1) he's alive and disfigured, and 2) Rachel Dawes is dead. Even if the coin flip came up saying to spare him, the emotional attachment to that decision is so huge that it is definately a decision I could see him overriding so he can carry out his extremely twisted sense of justice.

I am happy the Joker lived. For comic book movies, it is not good when in the first or second movie you have the main villian for the character (Joker to Batman, Green Goblin to Spidey, Lex to Superman) die.

I am happy the Joker lived. For comic book movies, it is not good when in the first or second movie you have the main villian for the character (Joker to Batman, Green Goblin to Spidey, Lex to Superman) die.

Exactly my thinking...

Batman NEEDS the Joker as much as any other character. Recast the part, downplay it a bit in the next film if it makes everyone more comfortable... but he needs to be there, and he needs to be a constant thorn, while simultaneously helping Batman to become the man he eventually will.

I was tossing around names during commercials during the fights tonight, and I thought... James Franco... there's a guy who's never done anything like it before, would get a lot of WTF responses, but would ultimately (in my mind) have all the tools necessary to be the character. Plus, he's young, so that means he's likely to be around for future films.

I dont see why people think they shouldnt recast the Joker character just because Ledger did an amazing job in the role. Even though people though Nicholson did a great job in the same role, it didn't exactly stop people from being excited that The Joker was being brought in for the film. Besides, they NEED The Joker to be in the film. Obviously if people see a third movie and go "Well he's no Ledger", then of coure theyll be dissapointed. It'd be stupid to try and compare the Jokers, though. If people instead sit through a third movie and go "Wow. His take on the Joker is really good." and dont try comparing it to Ledger's performance, then it'll be good.

Point is they NEED Joker for a third movie. You cant compare a possible recast to Ledger's performance because that's just stupid to do, and just because Ledger did an amazing job in the role doesnt mean nobody can ever in the entire span of time ever be recast as The Joker.

Johnny Depp is a name that comes to mind. However Johnny Depp comes to mind for every role these days, so...

But seriously I think if they did recast and Joker is in the next movie, Depp would be perfect for the role.

Saw it last night and it was brilliant, so no surprises there. Couldn't find a fault with it. I know people will always just look at the title and discredit it because it's a comic book movie in the years to come, I mean, they'll admit it's a good film, but not one of the best of all time, which I think it easily qualifies as. At least from all the films I've seen, anyway. I'd really love to see a film most of the population actually give a shit about win an Oscar for once, for example.

Why do they need Joker? Joker is in Gotham as long as the freaks are, it doesn't matter who. Joker opened the floodgates, now with him locked up in Arkham the freaks can run wild. More Joker would be more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Batman doesn't need Joker. That's just crazy talk. Batman needs Joker to signal the dawn of the freaks in Gotham, but he doesn't need him far beyond there. Joker's role is done, now it's time for Black Mask, Riddler, and others to run wild in the chaos he created.

Why do they need Joker? Joker is in Gotham as long as the freaks are, it doesn't matter who. Joker opened the floodgates, now with him locked up in Arkham the freaks can run wild. More Joker would be more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Batman doesn't need Joker. That's just crazy talk. Batman needs Joker to signal the dawn of the freaks in Gotham, but he doesn't need him far beyond there. Joker's role is done, now it's time for Black Mask, Riddler, and others to run wild in the chaos he created.

The Joker is the black to Batman's white... the yin to his yang... and all those other cliches.

He needs him, because without the Joker, Batman is just a guy in a suit, fighting people who break the law, outside of the law.

Without a pure evil there can't be a good that is pure. Batman, the character, needs The Joker more than he needs Alfred, or Commissioner Gordon. The Joker has always kept Batman honest in the comic books, and if they decide to go without him, then we're just going back to superhero movies. The Joker and Batman have such a mindfuck of a relationship that ignoring it would be far worse than recasting the role.

I wouldn't really say that the series needs the Joker in the third film in anything more than a minor role, but he definitely needs to be around if they plan on taking the series further than that, which they definitely should do.

That's one part that I dislike. I feel like the death of Heath Ledger is overshadowing the fact that Aaron Eckhart arguably did the best out of all 3 of the main characters. Yes, Ledger was the best Joker ever. Yes it was the best performance of his career. Yes, he was easily the highlight of the movie. But Aaron Eckhart doesn't get enough props for doing a GREAT job at Harvey Dent and for conveying the raw emotion of Two-Face.