*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight *SPOILERS*

Guest Coowra

Well yeah they could, but look at the series realistic take on everything. All of Batman's technology has been explained, he gets it thanks to his wealth and connections at Wayne Enterprises. You can't just bring in another guy doing something similar with zero explanation. And clearly he can't just be doing the same thing, as that would be ridiculous and unnessicary.

Robin should be left out in the third one absolutely. You could introduce him in a fourth and fifth film, then spin that off into a Nightwing series, sure. But as it stands he's got no place in the third movie.

The most realistic way that I could think of to include Robin is as follows...

Batman saves teenage Dick Grayson from certain death, as whoever the villain is had killed his family and was about to off him... Grayson goes through the system, where he's adopted by Bruce Wayne, who hopes that his money and connections can help the kid lead a better life. Grayson is too much of a loose cannon though, and he gets into a lot of fights, and starts getting involved in some sort of illegal activity... Batman crashes the party one night to find Dick there, and gets upset...but it turns out that Grayson was there, infiltrating some gang or something, to get as close as he could to the person who killed his parents.

Batman apprehends him, and they have a discussion about right and wrong... despite the death metal voice, Grayson calls him out, recognizing Bruce because of something he said to him. Batman brings him in, to keep an eye on him... gets him a costume and some stuff, and there's Robin.

I wouldn't have it last long though... maybe Robin almost dies or something, and Batman sends him away. Then I'd have him return as Nightwing, with some mysterious financial backer or maybe Fox saw something in the kid and hooked him up... anyways, he returns and saves Batman's ass, but Bruce gets pissed off... they squabble a little bit, and it turns out that Batman needs Nightwing to stop the Big Bad... they work together, but Grayson tells Wayne that for as much as he wants to help people, he's too selfish to let others help him. Nightwing then leaves the series and maybe they could do a live action TV series with him... or some straight to DVD films.

Hasn't Christian Bale been quoted as saying something to the ilk of, "The day I see Robin in the script is the day I hang up my cape?"

I am paraphrasing at best.

EDIT: Found the quote

“If Robin crops up in one of the new Batman films, I ’ll be chaining myself up somewhere and refusing to go to work.” - Christian Bale

Edited by That Dirty Dirty Grifter

I'd definately stay away from using Dick Grayson in the films... but there's no reason why it couldn't be done and still work within the confines of what they've already established.

They could write in any character from Batman's history and work it properly with the tone they've established... it's just that for some characters, they'd have to change them so much that it's almost not worth even having them there. I just wanted to point out that Robin could be feasibly done... it would just have to be written properly and handled with extreme caution.

Well yeah they could, but look at the series realistic take on everything. All of Batman's technology has been explained, he gets it thanks to his wealth and connections at Wayne Enterprises. You can't just bring in another guy doing something similar with zero explanation. And clearly he can't just be doing the same thing, as that would be ridiculous and unnessicary.

Robin should be left out in the third one absolutely. You could introduce him in a fourth and fifth film, then spin that off into a Nightwing series, sure. But as it stands he's got no place in the third movie.

I was thinking more along the lines of having the same story as Robin minus the campy outfit and name, and just using the Nightwing character style instead.

The problem with any of the ideas that you bring up Gaby, is just the fact that you seem to want to jam as much in as you can... and it just doesn't feel like something that would span the scale of one movie, seems much bigger than that.

I never meant for it to be one film...I just didn't distinguish where one would start and the other would begin. Everything I've presented has been an idea from start to finish, but they've all been ideas that would have to span more than one film to avoid the Spider-Man Clusterfuck situation.

Here's something I've been thinking about. Now Fox has been Wayne's real connection into the company, no? He covers Bruce's ass while he's sleeping at meetings, he takes care of the Applied Sciences wing and everything Bruce needs for Batman. My question is now, who helps him now that Lucious is gone? Who's going to work from the inside of Wayne Enterprises and take over the position left vacant by Fox? I mean really, Fox could have a change of heart and come back, but if not, is it expected Bruce get very involved with the company and having his new toys and gadgets made while at the same time being Batman? Not quite sure where this facet of the story goes...

I'm pretty sure Fox isn't gone. He said he was resigning if Bruce kept that surveillance sonar thing, but after he typed in his name the whole thing pretty much self destructed. So it's gone and Fox stays.

I'm pretty sure Fox isn't gone. He said he was resigning if Bruce kept that surveillance sonar thing, but after he typed in his name the whole thing pretty much self destructed. So it's gone and Fox stays.

This is I'm pretty sure what happened.

"As long as this machine's at Wayne Enterprises, I won't be."

Well, obviously, if the machine was destroyed then Fox is still there.

As for a replacement? That guy, forget his name, who was about to expose Batman.

The Bale Robin quote was proven to be false. Bale said he never made that statement. Nolan however has said he will never use Robin or Catwoman, so unless he has a really big change of heart I don't see either character in the next film(s). He said he strongly dislikes both characters.

Not to beat a dead horse having read through everyone else's reactions, but fuck me that was an awesome movie. After I saw it I thought it was very good and after letting it sink in and talking about it with my mates, the more I'm realising it was fantastic. Heck, I've never really been a Batman fan (always been a Spider-Man and X-Men guy myself), and on the advice of people here I rented Batman Begins to watch the day before and thought it was good, but nothing amazing. But as a set-up for TDK it made me appreciate it more, but I wouldn't recomment Begins by itself.

But enough about that, not enough good things can be said about Heath Ledger as The Joker. I know people are sick of people going on about it, but when you've seen the film you really do appreciate just how good it was. Definitely one of the best acting performances I've ever seen, if not the best. Bale stepped up his game here compared to Begins IMO and Eckhart was great as Dent too. The movie as a whole is more than the sum of it's parts, everything fits together so perfectly and with those 3 holding the whole thing together it just works so well.

So in short: awesome film, brilliant performances, I can't think of a single thing that would put anyone off. I saw it with my bro who doesn't really know anything about Batman except the bare basics and hadn't seen Begins and even he agreed the film was brilliant. Go see it.

The problem with any of the ideas that you bring up Gaby, is just the fact that you seem to want to jam as much in as you can... and it just doesn't feel like something that would span the scale of one movie, seems much bigger than that.

I never meant for it to be one film...I just didn't distinguish where one would start and the other would begin. Everything I've presented has been an idea from start to finish, but they've all been ideas that would have to span more than one film to avoid the Spider-Man Clusterfuck situation.

Thing is, it's extremely ballsy to be planning a film in the manner that you're proposing. If for whatever reason, the first part bombs or fans aren't receptive to an integral part of the first part, it'll ruin the remaining part(s). An example of this would be the sequels to The Matrix.

Thing is, it's extremely ballsy to be planning a film in the manner that you're proposing. If for whatever reason, the first part bombs or fans aren't receptive to an integral part of the first part, it'll ruin the remaining part(s). An example of this would be the sequels to The Matrix.

Yeah, but after the Matrix flopped, the one guy I could see having the balls to do something that grand would be Christopher Nolan. He's extremely intelligent about the way he's done things so far, and if it's something he could see working, then it's something I could completely give my support to.

The difference between a two-film Batman story and a two-film Matrix story is that Nolan has proven to be extremely successful and have a tremendously gifted mind for what the fans will be able to endure. The Wachowski Brothers hit it big with The Matrix, and then had ideas of grandeur for their series that were far larger than what they could conceivably create.

This new Batman series has been extremely story driven, and that will be a huge bonus if they want to take two films to tell the entirety of one story... whereas The Matrix was more about "Well, it would be really cool if we did this." They had ideas, and the foundation of what should have been an epic tale, but they fell flat on their faces because they were far too worried with making it cool than making it good. I have faith that Nolan would not make that mistake.

So I went to see it for the second time today (now it seems, it always comes up in conversation.. instead of "Have you see Batman?" it's "How many times have you seen Batman?") this time was alone so I could appreciate the smaller things in the film more... but ugh, there was a row of like 16 year old girls behind me that giggled or scoffed at all of the extreme action\badass moments.

So I went to see it for the second time today (now it seems, it always comes up in conversation.. instead of "Have you see Batman?" it's "How many times have you seen Batman?") this time was alone so I could appreciate the smaller things in the film more... but ugh, there was a row of like 16 year old girls behind me that giggled or scoffed at all of the extreme action\badass moments.

What was their reaction to Joker's Disappearing Pencil Trick? Cuz I laughed my ass off, and I'm betting they didn't when they should have!

but ugh, there was a row of like 16 year old girls behind me that giggled or scoffed at all of the extreme action\badass moments.

They giggled through the entire movie? Did they stop every now and then to breathe?