Football Manager 2008

Dan

Started a game as Sheffield United and I've won 10 out of my first 12 league games and am sitting pretty at the top of the league. I haven't really encountered anything, bug-wise. The new features are cool little touches. One thing I noticed that I haven't seen previously was that if someone scores a goal that looks like they were offside - the defending team charge to the linesman and crowd him. lol.

Also, in response to whomever said you can't play one tactic throughout - in the Championship you can. Played 4-4-2 in every game, with the same general tactics and have done well so far with no major glitches.

With regards players, I think they've been a little generous here and there. For me, Luton Shelton has scored something like 8 goals in 7 games now, coupled with Billy Sharp getting about the same.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ringmaster

I hate the way defenders seem to ACTUALLY RUN AWAY from strikers with balls, not to mention the way certain players seem to think holding the ball and not moving FOREVER while they're in the penalty box is a terrific idea. It honestly feels like most of the goals in the game seem to come from mistakes the opposition makes.

So the game is out on the 19th of october..sweeeeet.

Sports Interactive have acknowledged that in past games, football players representing a small or obscure nation do not get the opportunity to receive a larger number of caps as the game has not generated new friendlies or fixtures for the smaller nations. Football Manager 2008 will change that.

Asia

Afro-Asian Cup

ASEAN Football Championship

East Asian Cup

South Asian Football Federation Cup

West Asian Football Federation Championship

Gulf Cup of Nations

Africa

COSAFA Cup

CECAFA Cup

CEMAC Cup

Amilcar Cabral Cup

Indian Ocean Games

COSAFA U-20 Cup

Meridian Cup

Arab Nations Cup

Pan Arab Games

Gulf Cup of Nations

North America

UNCAF Nations Cup

Caribbean Cup

South America

South American Youth Championship

Oceania

South Pacific Games

Melanesia Cup

Polynesia Cup

OFC Nations Cup

October 19th? Fucking sweet! Might have to purchase myself a copy. I'm supposed to be saving, but the new setup looks pretty sweet and I can't wait to get my hands on the editor and do some tinkering.

October 19th eh? Looks like I'll have it round the 21st. >_>

Toronto FC is properly repped in the game, MPH. And it shall be my first sexy game. The facepacks are going to be fucking huge for this one.

October 19th? Fucking sweet! Might have to purchase myself a copy. I'm supposed to be saving, but the new setup looks pretty sweet and I can't wait to get my hands on the editor and do some tinkering.

25th in Aus.

Oh dear. After a promising start, England look unlikely to qualify for the Euros in my first crack at the game.

Decent start:

England 4 - 1 Germany (Friendly)

England 2 - 0 Israel

England 0 - 0 Russia

England 1 - 0 Estonia

...and then on the big trip to Russia.

Russia 6 - 2 England

Probably my mistake for getting shirty at Rooney and dropping him for Malcolm Christie of all people (who had seven in eight in the Championship) and then starting Ashton up front (who has been quite good). Oh well, good to see old Guus have some success.

Guest Psyence

I hope they sort this match engine out, it's awful. It's like they've intensified everything I disliked about last year's. Passes to their strikers, running away from 50/50 balls. So frustrating.

I hope they sort this match engine out, it's awful. It's like they've intensified everything I disliked about last year's. Passes to their strikers, running away from 50/50 balls. So frustrating.

Not to mention strikers seem to shoot left, right and above the goal but never in it. Is anybody else having this problem? Torres get's shots on goal from 5 yards and flicks it to the corner flags. There is no excuse for that.

There's always these types of bugs in the demo (sometimes in the first version of the proper game aswell). I'm sure they'll iron them out, but I personally won't be starting a serious career game on it till at least the second patch.

Started a quick game as Leeds and it's going ok.

We started well with a nice little winning/unbeaten run (damn Northampton) only to come unstuck at home to Leyton Orient. Ironically Jamie Clapham scored the first. Highlight thus far has been a nice 5-2 triumph against Carlisle. It was 2-1 to me at HT but when I told the team I was dissapointed they promptly put on a show.

Sadly though the game hasn't made it easier to be in the Elland Road hotseat. Therre I am enjoying form not too disssimilar to real life (8 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss) and the board are very dissapointed we are embroiled in a relegation dogfight. WE STARTED WITH MINUS 15 POINTS IDIOTS! Plus they're holding a 6-1 thrashing against Reading over my head, it wasn't my fault. Gus Poyet was in charge!

Player wise Paul Huntington started strongly, he had about 4 assists in 7 games at one point and was getting our key man in most games. Jermaine Beckford is getting a few goals and Flo has found himself in the team and has kept his place with a few good performances. However Kandol is said to be dissapointed at not playing regularly, well I would play you but you're desperately unfit every time there is a game.

I got West Ham as my parent club and they sent (yay! it actually works this time!) Tony Stokes and Hogan Ephraim. The fans are shitting on Stokes caus he only makes fleeting apperances and does nothing of value. They have taken to Ephraim though because he had 3 league goals in 7 apps before going down injured.

Edited by TheEllisComplex

Managed to get the demo working eventually. Decided to take on manager of Tottenham for some reason. I won all my friendlies, but I'm now 19th in the league table, ans have only won 1 match. > a 3rd round cup match :P This game is just too damn hard for my liking. I like to play games that I can win. <_< CM 2008 it is then...

Playing as Newcastle, started with a £6 Millon budget for transfers, bought Lucas Neill for 3.7 mil, Gary Speed for 400k and almost got my purchase of Nacer Barazite

Pre Season when horrible, only beat rotheram in my 8 pre-season games

then i get beat 3 - 0 by tottenham on the first day of the season

this game blows : (

Edited by J.Vengeance

I dont suppose we will be able to continue or save games from the demo when the full game comes out, will we?

Started as Utd, and got a good run going. Managed to beat Chelsea 2-0 at Old Trafford, then managed a 2-1 victory at the Emirates, with 2 goals in the last 5 mins.

I have noticed though, that no matter what I say in the media, a lot of players seem to be "Worried about the lack of managerial discipline". Cant imagine why, I usually try to stay very diplomatic with the press.

Oh, and Kevin Doyle is a waste of money.