LOST Discussion ***SPOILERS***

PkmnTrainerJ

So, hang on...

Kate shows up in the real world after everybody thought she'd died in a plane crash, and she's managed to pass off Aaron as her son? Surely people would remember that she wasn't eight months pregnant when she left Sydney? I guess she could be lying about his age. Or maybe it's all down to the time difference between the island and the real world. Maybe the world thinks they've been gone long enough for her to get knocked up and give birth to the kid before they got rescued.

Anyway, Jack said eight people survived the crash, but presumably only six have been rescued (the Oceanic Six). What happened to the other two, and why aren't Jack et al just pretending that they died in the crash too?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, hang on...

Kate shows up in the real world after everybody thought she'd died in a plane crash, and she's managed to pass off Aaron as her son? Surely people would remember that she wasn't eight months pregnant when she left Sydney? I guess she could be lying about his age. Or maybe it's all down to the time difference between the island and the real world. Maybe the world thinks they've been gone long enough for her to get knocked up and give birth to the kid before they got rescued.

Anyway, Jack said eight people survived the crash, but presumably only six have been rescued (the Oceanic Six). What happened to the other two, and why aren't Jack et al just pretending that they died in the crash too?

Who would know whether Kate was pregnant or not though? The Marshall maybe?

And the other two? Possibly still on the island and in hiding. I wouldn't imagine someone like Locke would leave, even if he had the choice.

I've been trying to figure out why they'd claim that 8 people survived the crash with two dying, rather than saying that they were the only survivors. There's the possibility that they brought two bodies back with them for some reason - perhaps 8 people made the decision to leave/were forced to leave and two died en route. There has to be a very definite reason why they'd say this, which is why I find it quite interesting. TMM: Why would they bother to say that another 2 people survived? They have to be claiming that everyone else from the original plane flight is dead or society would demand that another rescue be attempted, which is what the Oceanic 6 seem to be trying to avoid. I'm basing all my thinking on this '8 survivors' lie around the idea that they don't want people paying too much attention to the island, which means that they're aware that whoever's left on the island doesn't want to be rescued, or they're being compelled by something very powerful (knowing Jack, in particular.)

Re Kate's Pregnancy: They've been on the island for 4 months already; if the Oceanic 6 leave the island at the end of the series that'll be approximately 5-6 months and plenty of women aren't visibly pregnant at 2-3 months (a premature birth could mean there's more leeway.) There's also the very obvious fact that the outside world might believe they've been on the island for more than that 5-6 months because of time distortion. Jimmy: why do you say that Kate had to be 8 months pregnant? They've been on the island for over 100 days I think.

I think Lost has settled into a pattern that I find slightly reassuring given how laden with questions the first few episodes have been, relative to how many they've answered. The necessity for there to be a big climax to each series means that the beginning of the next season is spent explaining exactly what the conundrums presented by the previous series are (NOT on actually explaining them, that happens in the lead-up to the next finale.) The hatch was put into context, the truth about the Others was put into context and now the flash-forwards are being put into context.

Anyone else think one of the two that died was Claire, and possibly killed by Jack (accidentally, of course, or he made a wrong decision or something which led to her being killed)? I wouldn't think Claire would willingly part with Aaron, and Kate said 'I know why you don't want to see the baby, Jack. But until you do, until you want to, there's no me and you' meaning Jack may not want to see the baby because of what he did to Claire.

Anyone else think one of the two that died was Claire, and possibly killed by Jack (accidentally, of course, or he made a wrong decision or something which led to her being killed)? I wouldn't think Claire would willingly part with Aaron, and Kate said 'I know why you don't want to see the baby, Jack. But until you do, until you want to, there's no me and you' meaning Jack may not want to see the baby because of what he did to Claire.

Or Jack finds out Aaron is his nephew at some point.

I've been trying to figure out why they'd claim that 8 people survived the crash with two dying, rather than saying that they were the only survivors. There's the possibility that they brought two bodies back with them for some reason - perhaps 8 people made the decision to leave/were forced to leave and two died en route. There has to be a very definite reason why they'd say this, which is why I find it quite interesting. TMM: Why would they bother to say that another 2 people survived?
Edited by Lord Nibbler

Or Jack finds out Aaron is his nephew at some point.

Why would that make him not want to see the kid?

Remind him of his father? or his (possibly dead at that point) sister?

Something that somebody on another forum rang quite true with me - it's quite likely that Charlie is one of the 'other two' since he actually made contact with the outside world - Penny. After reading the transcript of what Jack said in the courtroom, he doesn't actually imply that the 'other two' died immediately after the crash as I thought first time round, there's the possibility that they survived for some time and that Kate 'tried to save them' later on.

Something that somebody on another forum rang quite true with me - it's quite likely that Charlie is one of the 'other two' since he actually made contact with the outside world - Penny. After reading the transcript of what Jack said in the courtroom, he doesn't actually imply that the 'other two' died immediately after the crash as I thought first time round, there's the possibility that they survived for some time and that Kate 'tried to save them' later on.

Clair and Jack will find out that they are brother and sister, especially with Christian on the island - the only real way for them to allow Claire and Jack to find out that they are related - so there's that link between baby Aaron and Jack. Also, Aaron is about 18 months in that scene, basically the story would have to be that she got knocked up before the crash and nobody knew. I know people 5 months pregnant who aren't really noticeable, they just look slightly chubby. That and my friends mother went 8 months before giving birth to a still born child (the other child, they were twins, had to be surgically removed) and she just assumed she had put on weight due to her irregular period or something.

Although I can easily see Claire drowning and finding Charlie's body, can't see that body being left in the ocean un-found, so give Claire a drowning death with Charlie at the break in season 4.

You all are forgetting one thing, and that is the time issue. There is very clearly something wrong with time in respect to the island, and that can explain baby Aaron "being" Kate's.

I've been trying to figure out the time distortion and how it works. The rocket experiment by Farraday implies that there's a massive difference between time on the outside and time on the inside, since the rocket was supposed to take a minute to arrive (roughly) and took 31 (IIRC.) If that's correct, that would mean the losties have been missing from the outside world for decades, which isn't really likely. The possibilities are that the time distortion varies depending on which co-ordinates the island's approached from (based on Ben giving Michael a very specific bearing) or that the time distortion has only started at that rate recently, accelerated by something the Others did/ the failure to press the button/ the island activating some self-defence mechanism.

It wasn't that much, it looked roughly a half hour every three hours, so that would be about 4 hours per day lost.

Read this, it'll confuse you even more (Y)

Christian Shepard (if he's alive) seems to have only just re-emerged, so it's possible that the same process that healed Locke and the rest, resurrects people over a longer timescale, so they could bring him back in the final series (or something.) Of course, that opens the door to anyone dead on the island coming back down the line. Might seem like a bit of a cheap tactic, but I'd almost be surprised if they ididn't do it at some point down the line.