WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

-Whoever thought it was a good idea to make a shoulder button for running should be punched in the face. I haven't messed with the other control set-ups yet, but Y should be run and LB should be used for finishers. It just doesn't feel natural holding in LB and trying to direct the left stick all with one hand.

That must mean you skipped 08? As after the initial change, it feels incredibly natural.

Using a face button was fine when you could only run in 8 directions, and tapping it automatically made you run, but with having ultimate control over where you run (which IMO is better) it makes more sense for it to be a top button. Imagine under the current scheme trying to run with Y, and then do an attack with X. Or better yet, trying to grapple with the right stick. Now that, doesn't feel right.

I imagine most who hadn't tried the new control system will adjust pretty quickly.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How effective are the sliders, anyway? I don't expect this to be on the levels of Fire Pro as far as gameplay goes, but I expect it to be at least competent and fun. As much as I fucking praise and love Fire Pro, I also like 3D graphics, so it'd be nice if this can be at least somewhat realistic and fun using the right sliders. I know it'll be better than 08 ('cause that was fucking God-awful), but is it 06 levels of playability?

I haven't messed with the sliders too much, but the AI is a good improvement over typical Smackdown games... at least when you're playing on Hard. My first match was Punk vs. Edge on Normal and Edge literally did nothing the entire match, I bumped the difficulty up and then played as Jeff Hardy against Kofi Kingston and he beat my ass. From what I understand, Legend is nothing but a reversal fest, but I found Hard to be a satisfying challenge. I'll definitely play around with the sliders once I get a better feel for the game, but it seems pretty solid as is.

Good, good. That's all I needed to hear. I've heard that Hard is the 'sweet spot', and if the sliders can find a happy medium between 'reversal fest' Legend and Hard when it becomes too easy I'm sold, especially with a staff discount.

Oh, and just to keep it a bit more on-topic, anyone fucked around with CAF, CAW, and the replays yet?

Edited by Will.

Good, good. That's all I needed to hear. I've heard that Hard is the 'sweet spot', and if the sliders can find a happy medium between 'reversal fest' Legend and hard when I get 'too good' for Hard I'm sold, especially with a staff discount.

Oh, and just to keep it a bit more on-topic, anyone fucked around with CAF, CAW, and the replays yet?

This is for you Will.

Gamestop is running a promotion - trade in two games and get a new release like Smackdown vs. Raw for $9.99.

Don't know if you have games to trade in or access to a Gamestop, but its something to consider if you have some games you don't play laying around.

If we had a Gamestop here in Toronto, I'd do it. I'm sure the same deal is running at EB Games. However, after trading in a bunch of shit for Fable II and Fallout 3, all I've got right now is Dead Rising, Forza 2, Rock Band 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and NHL 09. Obviously, aside from Dead Rising and Forza 2 I still play all of those basically every day and I don't think they'd (Dead Rising, Forza 2) be enough. I'm pretty sure the value of the game has to be at least thirteen bucks, and I don't think that would happen. Plus, staff discount means I'll only have to pay $30-$40 for it anyway.

Hmm. I'll go to EB tomorrow and ask. It's in the same mall as my work anyway.

Edited by Will.

Good, good. That's all I needed to hear. I've heard that Hard is the 'sweet spot', and if the sliders can find a happy medium between 'reversal fest' Legend and hard when I get 'too good' for Hard I'm sold, especially with a staff discount.

This is for you Will.

Gamestop is running a promotion - trade in two games and get a new release like Smackdown vs. Raw for $9.99.

Don't know if you have games to trade in or access to a Gamestop, but its something to consider if you have some games you don't play laying around.

Where did you find this out? I'm on the Gamestop site and it doesn't mention it in the Trade-In Values.

The Highlight reel mode annoys me for the reason that when you get to making your own highlights package, you can only use highlights recorded from one match, I.E you can't mix in clips from multiple matches, which to me takes away the whole darn point of the mode in the first place.

OK, the game arrived today, and I have a question regarding custom music. How can I assign custom music from my hard drive to the wrestler? It says "user playlist" on the themes menu, but it's blacked out.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

I unlocked the WCW belt in Jericho's RTWM, but it's still locked on the belt screen. I guess you have to unlock whoever holds it too.

Also, how do you unlock the locked match type? The one under Handicap matches?

Theres a pretty easy to make Canadian Destroyer in the CAF I'm using so far apart from that still messing about with it

How do you make the CD? Tell me now!

The CAF lacks moves ending in a cutter, and it made me sad. So, instead I made an angel's wing into a DDT.

RTWM is alright, just finished John Cena's last night, and got the ECW title in Career mode (7 five star matches in a row)...but yeah, Normal is a bit too easy. I think I will bump it up to hard later tonight. I fail at reversing, is it left or right trigger for grapple? I also got pissed off at the instruction manual, not telling me how to pick up someone off the ground.

I unlocked the WCW belt in Jericho's RTWM, but it's still locked on the belt screen. I guess you have to unlock whoever holds it too.

Cena's RTWM
Edited by Ruki of the Wastes

Theres a pretty easy to make Canadian Destroyer in the CAF I'm using so far apart from that still messing about with it

How do you make the CD? Tell me now!

The CAF lacks moves ending in a cutter, and it made me sad. So, instead I made an angel's wing into a DDT.

RTWM is alright, just finished John Cena's last night, and got the ECW title in Career mode (7 five star matches in a row)...but yeah, Normal is a bit too easy. I think I will bump it up to hard later tonight. I fail at reversing, is it left or right trigger for grapple? I also got pissed off at the instruction manual, not telling me how to pick up someone off the ground.

Cena's RTWM

Piledriver Hold, Texas Destroyer flip (Or something) and then Texas Destroyer impact, Thats as close as you can get it I think.

Right trigger is reverse grapple

Click in the right stick to pick someone up.

I think I unlocked the guy who holds it in the HHH story, I'll check later, But I think I have it now.

Theres already a Canadian Destroyer in the preset movelists. I don't know if it's one you have to unlock, I've only unlocked the third moveset but it's called the Texas Driver or something and ends in a pin. I think.

There's so much potential for CAF but I think it needs to be broken down a lot more, with a lot more animations before it becomes something truly special, but it's still great fun. Things like the Rock Bottom would be awesome if you could remove the silly dance/kip-up at the end, but it doesn't split those things up which is weird. I managed to make a Tombstone for Kane that actually looks fucking accurate for once, since Taker always picked them up like a body slam first, where as Kane starts with an oklahoma slam sort of thing, Kane jumps to his knees whereas Taker drops, things like that are little differences but work out really well in CAF. My biggest gripe with it is the misleading 'slow moves down' part. Yeah, you do, but you're not performing the move slower, you're slowing down the animation, so stuff like the Rocks bounce would be slowed down as well which is weird.

My reverse burning hammer still rocks though.

I love CAF. Obviosuly, it has some kinks to work out, the animation as Kaney said, and more options and situations would be awesome (600 moonsault or something would be ace), but solid start. I love making stupid stuff like the piledriver thing I mentioned before. The CAF I used to get the achievement was a right knee lift, left knee lift, running knee lift into a reverse DDT where you drop them spine-first onto your knee, then an inverted suplex lift into a reverse pwoerbomb/facebuster thing. I call it the Uglymaker >_> (I was tired, fuck you).

The Highlight reel mode annoys me for the reason that when you get to making your own highlights package, you can only use highlights recorded from one match, I.E you can't mix in clips from multiple matches, which to me takes away the whole darn point of the mode in the first place.

Again, good idea, but this was executed a little worse than the CAF. They sohuld've gone with a Halo-style Theater mode, so you automatically record stuff. Being able to cut in stuff from different matches and add title screens for a custom tron video would be epic.