WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

Im enjoying this so far, the fact that there are so many worthwhile enjoyables makes the single player modes much more fun. RTW is the best story mode ever IMO, and being the length it is, is totally excusable for the quality of the storylines/cutscenes.

I've completed the RTWM as HHH, Punk and Mysterio so far, and Im pleased with what I've managed to unlock;

HHH (DX entrance, DX attires, Jillian Hall) CM Punk (Locker-room area, Layla, Tazz FTW, Punk's alt. attire) Rey Mysterio (Mysterio's alt. attire, Hawkins & Ryder, SNME arena, Mr McMahon) Probably something else I'm missing on one of them too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undertaker's unlockables are a bit pants. Its Hornswoggle as a manager, A Brothers of Destruction entrance animation, Alternate attire for Santino (Zombie Santino!) and Boogeyman.

I believe with Jericho you get alternate attire for him (Classic Y2J, The WCW Belt and others.

Regarding the HHH storyline

You get another unlockable if you choose to align yourself with the other faction... a pretty nice unlockable too.

Mate, I don't think there was much point putting that in a spoier tag if your not gonna say what the unlockable was.

Now that I've got that out of the way... tell me tell me tell me :x

There seems to be a lot of things that aren't covered in the manual \ tutorial, can anyone help me with these:

1 - How do you grab weapons from the crowd?

2 - Is there a way to tip over a ladder when there's only one person on it? I've seen the CPU do it during MITB matches, but not in normal ladder bouts.

3 - Is there a special way to do grapple moves of the ladder without out-punching them first? The CPU seems to be able to suplexes off it at any point, without throwing any punches first.

There seems to be a lot of things that aren't covered in the manual \ tutorial, can anyone help me with these:

2 - Is there a way to tip over a ladder when there's only one person on it? I've seen the CPU do it during MITB matches, but not in normal ladder bouts.

3 - Is there a special way to do grapple moves of the ladder without out-punching them first? The CPU seems to be able to suplexes off it at any point, without throwing any punches first.

Are they using their special or signature move?

1. You don't get weapons from the crowd, unless, I assume, you have "hardcore" or "extreme" or whatever as an ability. I'm not sure what it's called this year. And you wouldn't be able to do it outside of Extreme Rules matches anyway, again I'd assume.

2. In the last few games, you had to have two others fighting on the ladder first, and then press the normal button for climbing to tip it. Although sometimes it went down on certain moves.

3. Do they use a finisher to do it? That's how suplexes off of it have always been done. I would assume it's the same. You may need the "Ladder" ability as well.

This is all a guess, and from experiance with the earlier games, but hope it helps.

Regarding the HHH storyline

You get another unlockable if you choose to align yourself with the other faction... a pretty nice unlockable too.

Mate, I don't think there was much point putting that in a spoier tag if your not gonna say what the unlockable was.

Now that I've got that out of the way... tell me tell me tell me :x

Ric Flair

Anyone able to find out when the release date for the downloadable content/wrestlers will be available in the United States? Over seas they can download Evan Bourne, Ted DiBiase, Super Crazy, and Charlie Haas, and I want to be able to download them ASAP!! :)

Anyone able to find out when the release date for the downloadable content/wrestlers will be available in the United States? Over seas they can download Evan Bourne, Ted DiBiase, Super Crazy, and Charlie Haas, and I want to be able to download them ASAP!! :)

We can!? I know we WILL ne able to but I didn't think they were out yet.

I'm fiddling round with the sliders so the CPU doesn't reverse EVERYTHING, but after some bad first impressions, this has grown on me a great deal.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

We can!? I know we WILL ne able to but I didn't think they were out yet.

I'm fiddling round with the sliders so the CPU doesn't reverse EVERYTHING, but after some bad first impressions, this has grown on me a great deal.

Well, I was watching a video on YouTube that says he is from overseas somewhere and already has them downloaded. I will have to go look it up on YouTube again, but those 4 were in it.

So far I'm enjoying it, but the things that bugged me about the game before the release still do.

Some things that would improve the game:

-Some DLC with more RTWM storylines. At the very least, give me two ultra generic, text-based RTWMs. One for any singles wrestler and one for any tag team. Seriously, I love this idea and I hope they keep it up as the new major one player mode, but there just needs to be more of them and they need to be longer. Maybe ditch the idea of making them all WrestleMania-specific and branch out a bit, but that's just a minor idea. I love this mode but only having six options and making Batista/Rey your only option for a tag team is stupid, especially when they put all that effort into improving the tag match.

-More weak grapples. I love the right stick control scheme, but using the same four weak grapples over and over again gets boring. I don't know how to implement this, maybe have an unused button act as another modifier... maybe go the Fire Pro route and have weak, medium and strong grapples. Right stick alone gives you 4 weak grapples, right stick plus LB gives you Medium and right stick plus RB gives you strong.

-Whoever thought it was a good idea to make a shoulder button for running should be punched in the face. I haven't messed with the other control set-ups yet, but Y should be run and LB should be used for finishers. It just doesn't feel natural holding in LB and trying to direct the left stick all with one hand.

-Make every submission a struggle submission. While I'm on the subject, the fact that they're still even using submissions and animations from PS1 Smackdowns is fucking embarrassing. I know this shit takes time, but there is absolutely no excuse for this.

-I know I say this every year, but seriously, can I please, please PLEASE play this game how I want to play it? No Mercy came out damn near a decade ago and I could make a Falls Count Anywhere, First Blood, Royal Rumble if I wanted to, why is this STILL not happening? Customization, that's all I'm asking for.

-Glad to see they're patching career mode... now how about a patch to make the mode interesting? Seriously, they took out GM Mode for this. I know, I know, everyone rags on GM Mode, but if they would have spent time working on it (or just ripping off EWR), it really could have been great. In a perfect world, GM Mode would have been EWR where you actually get to play or watch the cards you book, they could have made an entire game based on THAT and I'd throw down $60 for it. But instead of improving it, they axe it... typical THQ.

Gripes aside, it seems pretty good this year, definitely a step in the right direction after the disappointing 07 and (from what I hear) abysmal 08. More thoughts once I play more.

EDIT

Also, without giving me specific spoilers, how do you unlock some of this stuff without the cheat codes? I know most of it is through RTWM, but I have no idea how to get Hawkins & Ryder and some others without the cheats.

Edited by Zero

Characters and stuff are unlocked through a certain persons RTWM. For example, if you're doing Jericho's story and there's a note saying "I'd like to pin person X so they stop bugging me" or "I like person Y, I better not use a finisher" it means there's an unlockable available during the match if you fulfill the criteria. I don't know how to go more in-depth though, because there are some things you need to lose matches at certain points and so on.

So, I think I'll be picking this up from work tomorrow. If I didn't get a staff discount, I'd probably wait until Christmas, especially with Left 4 Dead and Mirror's Edge coming out very soon, and Fallout 3 and Fable 2 taking up so much of my gaming time, but fuck it.

How effective are the sliders, anyway? I don't expect this to be on the levels of Fire Pro as far as gameplay goes, but I expect it to be at least competent and fun. As much as I fucking praise and love Fire Pro, I also like 3D graphics, so it'd be nice if this can be at least somewhat realistic and fun using the right sliders. I know it'll be better than 08 ('cause that was fucking God-awful), but is it 06 levels of playability?

Edited by Will.