Doctor Who

Benji

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I've ever seen Lenny Henry in is an old (early 1990's), really bad movie called True Identity where he goes in disguise as a white man because mobsters are after him.

And its been announced that Robert Glenister and Goran Visnjic are also going to appear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2019 at 05:50, GhostMachine said:

The only thing I've ever seen Lenny Henry in is an old (early 1990's), really bad movie called True Identity where he goes in disguise as a white man because mobsters are after him.

And its been announced that Robert Glenister and Goran Visnjic are also going to appear.

Have you not seen this?

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

My DVR cut off the very end

Reveal hidden contents

The Doctor just got teleported to the same place Yaz was earlier in the episode and all the companions were alone on the plane. I imagine that's where it ended but wasn't sure if I missed anything

Go shoot your DVR. You missed something incredibly major.

Regarding the reveal (that you missed, so don't read this spoiler!):

It has to be an old incarnation we haven't seen yet. The Tissue Compression Eliminator was the giveaway, because the Simm Master didn't use it and adopted a Laser Screwdriver as his weapon of choice.  Missy did state once (don't remember which episode, though) something along the lines of not necessarily being the regeneration after the Simm version, but since Missy never used the TCE, I don't see it being any incarnation between the two.

My theory? Its either a Master from an alternate universe, or possibly the Master that regenerates into the one that becomes Professor Yana. The only alternative that I can think of would be that its a regeneration from sometime between the original (Roger Delgado) and the decayed version from Deadly Assassin. 

Incidentally, I've thought of a loophole for how we could get a post-Missy version without doing a cop out:

In Time Crash, where the Fifth and Tenth Doctors team up, Ten does something by remembering it from Five's point of view during the team up. So if Simm is a pre-Missy incarnation, wouldn't Missy (or an incarnation between Simm and Missy - or Gomez, if you'd rather go by actors) remember it happening and take precautions to make sure that what Simm did with the Laser Screwdriver wouldn't in fact prevent regeneration? (Personally, I'd prefer the Missy version to remain the last, since the character somewhat reformed and having a post-Missy version being evil again would suck without some likely unsatisfying explanation why.

*edited to add* The reason some people think it could be one that becomes Yana is because of the DNA being overwritten. I just think it makes the most sense due to this version using the TCE instead of the Laser Screwdriver.

Edited by GhostMachine

Spoiler

There is something subtle about the presentation that made me think that he wasn't the actual Master/Missy so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a version from an alternate universe. But since I don't know what the subtle thing was I'm also willing to bet he is the genuine article.

The problem with it being an alternative version is that it only really becomes interesting if he interacts with Missy (which feels like a rehash) or it's a set up for an alternative version of the Doctor coming in (hopefully it's not a man). 

Completely speculating but I do wonder if "the timeless child" is actually a reference to the Doctor in the Rose universe as he is essentially a child of The Doctor and Donna but isn't a Time Lord (presumably as he only has one heart) and probably doesn't have access to a time machine. That and I could see them doing a cross over with the two actors. Could buy that a Master from another universe is a set up for the barriers between dimensions breaking or whatever. 

That all said, really I think he's just the current Master. 

Spoiler

I don't think there's any need to speculate about minute details of stories from years or decades ago. It's The Master. They've stopped bothering explaining how he can come back from the dead or regenerate again because, frankly, they don't have to. It's not important. He just does.

That said, clearly the set-up here is alternate universes, which is interesting as that's largely been something of a taboo in Doctor Who. Whether they use that to explain why the Doctor never sensed there was another Time Lord nearby (unless she did, as she said she could sense the light-beings outside the compound - so may have been mistaken as to what she was sensing), or how The Master came back, I'm not sure, but I imagine it will end up treated as something of a reset button.

"Everything you think you know is wrong" is an intriguing set-up, as could potentially give them carte blanche to write out whatever bits of New Who they don't want to have to deal with any more.

Ultimately, it felt like an RTD episode in that it was a hell of a cliffhanger, but will entirely come down to whether or not they can stick the landing.

First part of this is an updated rehash of my Friday post, but.....

Its likely a past incarnation of the Master. He hasn't had a TARDIS or used the Tissue Compression Eliminator since Anthony Ainley, favoring the Laser Screwdriver in NuWho, and we don't know how many incarnations the character has had that we haven't seen. Could be before the decayed version from Deadly Assassin, or one pre-Professor Yana. Or even the one that becomes Yana. Now, its possible that the Master very well could have acquired another TARDIS when he destroyed Gallifrey, but the use of the TCE instead of the Laser Screwdriver makes me think its an older incarnation rather than a new one.

Also, little sympathy for the Time Lords being destroyed. The average Gallifreyan (not all Gallifreyans were Time Lords), yes. But the majority of the Time Lords, no. Besides Romana and a few others, they're mostly jackasses. And possible morons. They're responsible for the Master being nuts (the drum beating sound, not the Untempered Schism). They resurrected him to fight in the Time War, which proved to be a major mistake, so they're to blame for all the evil he has done since. And on top of it, they resurrected Rassilon, who is a major asshole. I honestly think the Doctor left not just due to their policy of non-intervention, but also because they're incompetent. Fucking up Gallifrey is possibly the best thing the Master has ever done. But, of course, the Doctor will find some way to undo it all.

Also, loving this incarnation. Great casting choice, and he seems more like the classic era Master, who was more just plain evil than nuts.

That was a load of heavy handed shit wasn't it? And do they normally treat the future as "one of a million possible futures"? I don't feel like they do, otherwise the Doctor wouldn't be so arsed about changing history?

• Like 4

Yeah I disliked this week's episode quite a bit.

Spoiler

I don't mind the "holding a mirror up to the audience" moral lessons that Chibnall has done a lot of in his run so far but this one was indeed very heavy-handed and just felt like a bit of a lecture, and it all came at the expense of any real interesting actual narrative. There were too many sub-plots that never got any room to develop and, aside from one comment about the Doctor being mopey at the start of the episode, there was pretty much no character development for our Fab Four either.

The Dregs were scary enough as monsters but outside of that I had a real hard time praising anything in this one, which is a shame as the opening two-parter was a really strong start to the series.

Oh, and I hate stories where the Doctor is basically reduced to a commenting bystander. All she got to do was explain everything at convenient moments. The saviour of this episode was essentially the green-haired kid who had about 5 minutes of screen time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Benji said:

I really don't care for Chibnall as a writer. He's so heavy handed with his messages, and his dialogue is very clunky which makes it even more awkward.

Are you referring to the two part opener? I thought it was broadly good and fun tbh. Episode 3 was definitely a step down (I thought it was fine, but with some really really clunky and on the nost dialogue), but that was written by someone else.