Doctor Who

Benji

On 18/03/2024 at 08:27, Vamp said:
  Hide contents

Personally, I think if they were going to bring Susan or Isis in, they wouldn't recast the roles. Personally, I'm convinced bringing Susan back works with the theme of the Doctor moving on from his past. 

My theory about that:

Spoiler

If they bring in Susan, it should be Carol Anne Ford, but...they answer the question of whether or not Susan is a Time Lady: Susan either dies or regenerates. If they wait too long, and CAF passes away (she's 83), then DO NOT bring in Susan, and make the Eighth Doctor audios featuring her canon, since they made *some* of the Eighth Doctor ones canon via him mentioning companions in Night Of The Doctor.

New trailer, plus in the spoiler the announced titles for the first season, interesting that only 2 are not written my RTD and one of those is by Moffat.

Spoiler

Space Babies
Writer: Russell T Davies
Director: Julie Anne Robinson

The Devil's Chord
Director: Ben Chessell

Boom
Writer: Steven Moffat
Director: Julie Anne Robinson

73 Yards
Director: Dylan Holmes Williams

Dot and Bubble
Director: Dylan Holmes Williams

Rogue
Writer: Kate Herron and Briony Redman
Director: Ben Chessell

The Legend of Ruby Sunday
Director: Jamie Donoughue

Empire of Death
Director: Jamie Donoughue

• 1 month later...

Decided to try and jump back in. Watched a video to catch me up and then decided to watch the Christmas special with the New Doctor. I really enjoy him and Ruby so I think this could be fun. Can someone explain the split into two thing from a few episodes back though. I didn't watch it so I was a little confused. They call new guy the 15th Doctor but the 14th is still alive too right? So is this guy like a totally new character? The fact that they are calling this Season 1 makes me think he is his own thing but does he also have all his old memories too? It feels convoluted as hell but maybe that's because I skipped all the Tennat specials?

Also am I right that I can only watch this on Disney + now?

20 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Decided to try and jump back in. Watched a video to catch me up and then decided to watch the Christmas special with the New Doctor. I really enjoy him and Ruby so I think this could be fun. Can someone explain the split into two thing from a few episodes back though. I didn't watch it so I was a little confused. They call new guy the 15th Doctor but the 14th is still alive too right? So is this guy like a totally new character? The fact that they are calling this Season 1 makes me think he is his own thing but does he also have all his old memories too? It feels convoluted as hell but maybe that's because I skipped all the Tennat specials?

Also am I right that I can only watch this on Disney + now?

Bi-generation (that's what it's called) is meant to be a myth, and it seems to only happen due in relation to the Toymaker, who is meant to be a god like being in the universe, it's also been implied that when it happened it also happened across the Doctor's timeline, which some how now allows the Doctor to exist beyond their regeneration, sort of justifying the Curator as being the 4th Doctor.

And the season 1 thing is just because it's the start on Disney and they think people are going to see season 14 and think "do I have to watch the previous 13 seasons", so putting it as season 1 is to not scare them off, plus it's being pushed as a soft reboot of the franchise.

And Disney+ or the BBC iPlayer, which ever is easier for you to assedd.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheWho87 said:

Bi-generation (that's what it's called) is meant to be a myth, and it seems to only happen due in relation to the Toymaker, who is meant to be a god like being in the universe, it's also been implied that when it happened it also happened across the Doctor's timeline, which some how now allows the Doctor to exist beyond their regeneration, sort of justifying the Curator as being the 4th Doctor.

And the season 1 thing is just because it's the start on Disney and they think people are going to see season 14 and think "do I have to watch the previous 13 seasons", so putting it as season 1 is to not scare them off, plus it's being pushed as a soft reboot of the franchise.

And Disney+ or the BBC iPlayer, which ever is easier for you to assedd.

I actually wonder if the Curator is a future regeneration of 14. 

I liked the Church on Ruby Road so was optimistic for the new season. Woke up this morning to watch the two new episodes with my son and he mostly enjoyed it but i found it atrocious. I won't go in to depth I like Ncuti and Millie but those two stories were equal parts dumb and boring.

Space Babies: 2 stars, and I'm being generous. Haven't given a rating that low since Thirteen's first season.

The Devil's Chord: 3 stars, but just barely.

I thought the villain for The Devil's Chord was great tbh and I hope we get to see them again. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DFF said:

I thought the villain for The Devil's Chord was great tbh and I hope we get to see them again. 

Oh the villain was great. The Devils Chord had potential to be so much better. The literal twist ending was just too much too far for a gag for me that it soured the lot.

Just now, theshadow said:

Oh the villain was great. The Devils Chord had potential to be so much better. The literal twist ending was just too much too far for a gag for me that it soured the lot.

I thought that actual twist was that - 

Spoiler

the Maestro's son was in the background of the dancing, clearly still there and a potential threat in the future?

3 hours ago, DFF said:

I thought that actual twist was that - 

Hide contents

the Maestro's son was in the background of the dancing, clearly still there and a potential threat in the future?

Not sure how meta RTD is going but...

Spoiler

There is an actress called Susan Twist, who has appeared in 4 episodes since RTD took over in different roles.

Edited by TheWho87

I thought they were both fine, Devils Chord definitely better but then the first one had to do the "exposition/bit of silliness" of a new Doctor which I often feel doesn't work that well (Matt Smith's had the balance right bar completely wasting Olivia Colman). Biggest flaw was casting a right uggo as Paul McCartney. 

My kids loved them both which is the main thing.

The exposition has been even more heavy-handed than usual thanks to the combination of RTD being the least subtle writer in television and this being the first Disney series meaning that everything has to be explained.

Jinkx did a lot of heavy-lifting for episode two, as it was mostly bobbins. Maybe it's not a great idea to use the Beatles as the thematic centrepiece for your episode about the power or music when not even the mountain of Disney money is enough to convince anyone to actually fork out for any Beatles songs.

A classic bit of lazy RTD writing too, with Ruby telling the Doctor "but you never hide!" in her second adventure as companion, the episode after the Doctor ran scared from the Bogeyman. The absolute master of "tell, don't show".

• Like 1

Jinx doing the heavy lifting and the stupid musical number at the end are why I gave that episode 3 stars.

Space Babies was garbage.

Edited by GhostMachine

Don't think it was explained, although I haven't checked out the "Unleashed" episode, it might be hiding in that, ruddy RTD going full MCU hiding storyline details in the behind the scenes extra show.

• Thanks 1

I don't like the musical number - and it's one of the most glaring "we didn't pay for the music" moments that the set-up is the word "Twist", in a Beatles episode, and they don't play "Twist & Shout" - but I kind of allow it in terms of what the point of this series is; there are these powerful reality-bending entities breaking through into our universe, and it's thrown everything off, and one of the ways that manifests is these fourth wall breaking moments.

Mostly, this was just two episodes that reminded me how much I dislike RTD. He's remembered fondly for broad strokes storytelling, but his individual episodes are badly written, and generally rely on inventing a new magic power for the Doctor, or using some hitherto unmentioned in-universe bit of magic to resolve everything, and then tricking viewers into thinking that's everything more connected than it is just by seeding phrases through the other episodes. "Bad Wolf" syndrome.

• Like 1

Wasn't really impressed by either episode, but I did rather like the first scene in the TARDIS with Ruby, how it really comes across that the Doctor is finally free from his survivor's guilt. Just the fact that he can talk about Gallifrey and the Time Lords openly, and doesn't feel the need to hide it or lie about it, and Gatwa's performance makes it clear he's come to terms with it. It's a refreshing change and feels like the character's turned a corner.

Also, I naturally assumed Ruby's lyrics in the Goblin Song from the Christmas episode were nonsense on purpose because she was making them up on the spot, but yikes, judging from the end of episode 2, that's just the limit of RTD's songwriting ability, huh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1