Russell Brand

Typical Phenom

I've no idea who he is, though a wiki search gave me all the bio stuff. Anyway, he was just on Leno and I thought he was pretty funny, charming and smart at the same time. I'm just curious, what's the general opinion of him overseas? Is there anything he's done that's worth trying to find? Looks like he's got a book out, might be worth a read, but of course I'm basing all this on one interview. So yea, any opinions?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Russell Brand a lot, but then lots don't, he's just one of those people who divide followers between love and hate, I don't think I've ever met anyone who simply doesn't mind him.

He's had TV shows, but to be honest they're very hit and miss as they don't really cater to what he's best at. Anyway, they're all on YouTube, Re:Brand was the show he made while on heroin and having a mental breakdown, then there's Russell Brand's Got Issues, Ponderland. His documentary on Jack Kerouac was quite good.

I would recommend his radio shows on BBC Radio 2 (which you can download on the Radio 2 website), just him and his friend Matt allowed to just chat about whatever they want which suits his style much better. Alone and in stand up he lacks having someone there to play off - essentially he needs a 'straight man' for reactions to his antics. The book is also pretty good, again, if you're a fan. Mostly it's tails of the things he got up to while on various drugs, which are split largely into one of three categories: sleeping with women/prostitutes, being fired from TV shows, getting beaten up.

The general picture of him is that he's fucked a lot of celebrities, basically. His TV Shows are very hit and miss as supergrass mentioned, I wasn't a fan of him when he was on Big Brother's Big Mouth but Ponderland was a pretty decent show. His stand up is good, too.

Yep, as others have said: hit and miss. I do like him, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see him live or anything. But he was pretty good on Big Mouth and I'm not sure if the Comedy Live Presents (or whatever it was called) performance is on YouTube, but that was good too. But other stuff he's done you're like "what the hell are you on about?". He's good, but sometimes you can't help but think he's a one trick pony with his act - just speak like you're in Oliver and occasionally swear and talk about your genitals.

Was just about to add, on TV he will spend a lot of his air time mentioning dinkles and ballbags. However on Radio 2, while that's still intact, he shows that he's actually quite well-read and intelligent. He also has a very odd laugh, which is infectious nonetheless.

Plus you get the bonus of Matt Morgan, Mr Gee and Noel Gallagher calling in to be offensive as he was to Jonah Hill this week. Very funny.

He was funny on THe Big Fat Quiz of the Year (06 edition) when teaming with Noel Fielding. They were hilarious. The 07 effort, not so much.

Again, opinion is very divided here. You either seem to have to bow down to him or vow a blood oath that you'll kill him on site if you see him. I don't see why, personally, as when he's 'off' he's nowhere near as annoying as a lot of comedians.

*Shrugs*

Each to their own I suppose. But yeah, I recommend TBFQOTY 06.

Ah, Russell Brand.

Nobody has gone from "annoying cunt" to "genius" in my estimations quicker than him :P

I HATED him when I first saw him, on BBBM. But since then, with his stand-up and other shows, I've learned that he's actually awesome. Whenever he's a guest on someone else's show it's hilarious, because he just takes over in a Johnny Vegas type fashion and doesn't let them get a word in edgeways :P He was on Jonathan Ross a while ago, and it was immense.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I'd second supergrass's recommendation. You can download a podcast of the Radio 2 show from iTunes, I think that's when he's at his best.

Also likes to talk a lot about his 'ballbags' and 'arousing his dinkle'.

When was the last time you saw him?

I watch him on most things he does.

Ok, so he doesn't necessarily mention his 'ballbags' and 'dinkle' exactly, but I was mentioning in short hand to the many references you get to his genitalia. Well, that....and masturbation. Which he likes to talk about.

I mean, the first episode of Ponderland had him discussing the shade of colour his penis was with his dad.

Edited by rvdwannabe

People are polarised on him I find. When he's not talking about women or how 'amazing' he is, he's actually quite funny and has some wonderful anecdotes, any time he is talking about the two aforementioned subjects (which, annoyingly, is about two thirds of the time) he's an unbearable prick.

I used to really dislike him, but I've warmed to him a bit more - especially since I saw him on the 07 Big Fat Quiz of the Year teamed with Noel Fielding, who I obviously really like.

But he doesn't really do much that I watch, so I don't come across him much. I don't mind him, but when I do he obviously seeks all the limelight so meh. He's alright.