Songs You Like that don't fit your 'Reputation'

DMN in the House

We all have them, wether its the dragon metal loving guy that likes that Britney Spears song, or the fact that DMN actually likes a Miley Cyrus song (which, unfortunately, dosen't make this list, sorry). This was actually more brought on by the fact I've been playing around on ProjectPlaylist (awesome site, btw), and listening to stuff like The Charlie Daniels Band (Still in Saigon is awesome, check it out), and Steve Earle (Copperhead Road) makes me realize how much I love older country/southern rock, even if it really doesn't fit in with the punk and hip hop I tend to listen to now.

So, what do you listen to that doesn't really fit into your normal musical reputation?

They Miley Cyrus song is 'See You Again', btw.

Judging by my one friend's reaction, he doesn't think I seem like the type of person to sing along to a hip hop song, much less Eminem. And, judging by my other friend's action, she doesn't like being told to "TOUCH MY BODY~!"

As for my personal opinion, I've been listening to the song "Show Me Love" by t.a.t.u. lately. I bought an iPod off this guy, and it was on there; ended up being on of the few songs that I kept from his music. It'll probably be buried in iTunes to make room for more of my stuff soon though, fucking one gigabyte...

I am considered, first and foremost, a Horror Punk guy by the people who know me... so the fact that I have several Johnny Cash albums makes some people wonder... other than that, the only other country music I like is Christian Kane. Admittedly, I gave it a listen because he kicked all kinds of ass on Angel... but I like it a lot. Which makes even me wonder a little.

My parents asked me what the fuck I was listening to when I was listening to Mindless Self Indulgence, because it's really dancey, and I absolutely hate "club music".

I suppose you could count Nightwish and Within Temptation in there too, because of the operatic elements, which no one would otherwise have associated with me.

On the subject of TATU though... All the Things She Said is fucking catchy as hell.

Modest Mouse, Boards Of Canada and the Fahrenheit Project compilations have garnered some "WTF" reactions on here, so I'll go with those. My personal favorites are in order "Other People's Lives", "Turquoise Hexagon Sun" and "Blue Magnetic Ocean" by Solar Fields.

My electro/IDM/indie/funk/post rock stylings are accepted by many which makes my love for Len's "Steal My Sunshine", Britney's "Toxic", Kylie's "Slow", most of Myleene Klass's back catalogue, most of Natalie Imbruglia's back catalogue, and half of TATU's stuff slightly surprising sometimes.

Brilliant Dance by Dashboard Confessional... >_>

My roommate came home early from work once and caught me listening to it and singing along. It was worse than being caught masturbating.

Edited by That Dirty Dirty Grifter

I forgot my love for soul music. Not that I'm ashamed of it, because Percy Sledge and Al Green are amazing.

Yes, they are. I love Percy Sledge. Awesome awesome awesome. Also, most people don't really expect me to like pop. Timberlake, Spears, Aguilera and the like.

I suppose that if I had to pick one, I'd probably say Justin Timberlake. His last album really impressed me and I gained a lot of respect for him as a musician.

Other than that, I really can't say what would be considered surprising or not for me because my musical tastes have taken quite a turn in recent years.

I used to be all about hard rock and metal (and still am to a certain extent) but I've broadened my musical horizons and have come to like and respect a whole lot of music that would surprise people at one time.

Though my liking of N.W.A. does catch some people off guard.

Guest THX 1138

I'm often mistaken for someone who would be into Metal, but other than Motörhead, Black Sabbath and a few others; I'm mainly into jazz, rockabilly, swing and their more modern variants. Punk is more or less the icing on my musical cake.