Mock the Week

FireDoughnut

That guy who replaced Frankie -- was awesome. I say we let him in as a regular.

QFT. He's like a British version of Stewart Francis.

Edit: They should also bring back Seann Walsh, just because of the weird but awesome noise he made during the 'Scenes We'd Like To See' round that kept him laughing for two minutes after.

OI! Hugh Dennis is hilarious. Always has been, always will be.

Russell's taken a bit of a dip this season (might be in part to seeing his standup DVD too), but is still quite funny.

Andy Parsons...has actually improved ridiculously. Some of his 'standup round' bits are fucking terrible still, but he generally comes out with one or two things that has me in stitches.

Frankie basically carried the early part of the series to anywhere near respectable.

The last 2 girls that have been on have been great as well. Milton Jones was awesome too...there's been a few good guests on this series.

Agreed on Hugh Dennis, plus he looks a bit like my boss which makes work amusing too. Just bought tickets to see Stewart Francis next month, which should be a nice warmup for Frankie Boyle in May (Why is it I already have that ticket, yet Leeds tickets arrive a week before to leave me panicking every year?).

I didn't find Hugh Dennis that funny on the last show. I liked that it was a fresher line up. I think they do suffer from too many regulars on Mock the Week.

Frankie Boyle has quit current affairs satirical quiz show Mock The Week after seven series.

According to a statement from the BBC, the acerbic team captain has left to 'concentrate on other TV commitments' just a week after he missed filming the show for the first time, reportedly because of an undisclosed illness.

The news come as it was confirmed that the show has been recommissioned for two more series by BBC Two.

BBC Two controller Janice Hadlow said: "Mock The Week is a major part of the BBC Two schedule, regularly delivering wit and energy to an enthusiastic audience.

"This two series commitment shows just how much we value it."

Angst Productions series producer Dan Patterson meanwhile released a statement saying: "Frankie has been a brilliant member of the team since the beginning and the door is always open for him to come back. We wish him all the best with his other projects."

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/10/02/frankie-boyle-quits-mock-the-week-115875-21717355/

:(

What are the TV commitments they reference to, because I only ever see him on Mock the Week? But seriously, it's kind of a douche way to leave a show that has made you into a well known name in the UK.

Seven years is a long time to spend on a show, it's not like he's pissed off after a couple of years. He could be looking for something new to do and that's fair enough.

Though this does mean they can't beat HIGNFY for keeping regulars the longest time. So long as they don't end up like Buzzcocks (only Phill let from the originals, Lamarr needs to return to that show, just for one night, it would be EPIC)

Edited by Hugobombski

Pah as far as Buzzcocks goes I just watch through the earlier series now. You've got something crazy like 17 series of Mark Lamarr. From 8 onwards is Bill Bailey too. There are some really funny episodes. Been watching series 2 and it's still a music quiz where any jokes are focussed on the questions and the identity parade lasts about 3 minutes - they used to squeeze in 5 or 6 rounds too. Brilliant.

I'm not going to bother with Mock the Week anymore now that Frankie has gone. The show only worked because he counterbalanced Andy Parsons' knuckleheaded opinions (the man is clearly a Sun reader), Russell Howard's completely irrelevant material and Hugh Dennis' lack of participation by actually being funny. It's not surprising he has gone though, he looked very bored throughout the last series.

I hope Dara leaves to concentrate on other projects too shortly, he's far too talented to just pop in a comment here and there like he does in his role. His stand-up is brilliant...

Yeah, Dara and David Mitchell were the only ones who you could count on to be consistently funny, outside of Frankie. On the plus side, maybe Frankie's standup work will improve, since he won't just be regurgitating MTW jokes all the time >_>