Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

I forgot to mention this on here. I released my new Club Names Fix on Susie at the weekend.

http://sortitoutsi.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=39817

Check the thread for download links/info. I need some feedback, and I put EWB feedback at the top of the feedback scale. ;)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I just got promoted to the Championship as Wycombe. It's probably my greatest accomplishment in FM history. We hit a rough patch like always in February, but we came together and topped off a great season. I started off as an obscure manager and after 4 short years I am a talented nationally known manager. Also, I took over as Ivory Coast manager, which was surprising.

I cut my hand celebrating a win over Atletico Madrid that put me into the UEFA Cup final!

I had no right to beat them, they pretty much pissed all over me but Richard Dunne tore into Sergio Aguero with some fouls whenever Aguero got into good positions and still managed to stay cardless!. They were leading 1-0 and then in the 92nd minute Cattermole gets out of the halfway line then lets one rip and it flies into the net!.

I go absolutely ballistic then I turn around and see Dunne scoring from a header!.

best game ever I<3FM

So I'm pretty close to fighting my Chairman in my Journeyman game. At FC Gute in Sweden, he sold my best midfielder on a free then refused to let me sign a replacement for 15 pounds a week as that would break our budget by 13 pounds.

I'm probably gonna resign after the season even though I'm in 3rd when we are expected to be relegated.

On my journeyman game with Camacha, I was keeping an eye on the World Cup qualifiers. Slovenia looked like shock contenders to win their group, leading by a point I believe going into the final round of matches.

Czech Republic ripped Northern Ireland apart 4-1. Slovenia somehow managed to draw 1-1 with... San Marino.. and now Slovenia's World Cup hopes rest on beating Romania in the second teams play off.

Which also sees Croatia take on Spain, Greece take on Denmark and Russia take on Holland. Oooh.

Portugal, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Germany, Turkey, England, France, Italy and Scotland will all be there safely. Yes, Scotland won their group ahead of Holland... I don't know how either.

They join South Africa (obviously), Argentina, Australia, Brazil, The Congo, Honduras, Ghana, Iran, Japan, Mali, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Paraguay, South Korea, USA and Uruguay.

All of them will be joined by the winners of New Zealand/Saudi Arabia and Ecuador/Costa Rica to ensure all the superpowers essentially there, but with the likes of The Congo and Mali - also a chance for some upsets.

I'd quite like to manage a country, even if it's just like... US Virgin Islands or Netherland Antilles. Just for fun :)

I am the manager of Vitoria Setubal in Portugal!

Building a pretty decent team now. I have Porto and Sporting Lisbon as parent clubs so I have massive amounts of players on loan from them who are far better than my entire squad.

However, I've been busy amending that. I've signed Bobby Convey, Steve Marlet, Nelson Cuevas, Dodo(remember him?) and some other nameless Brazilians and the team is looking good.

Also managing Senegal. bleh...

I've got a lot of leagues on this game. It's running okay so far. I have:

Argentina

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Denmark

England

France

Germany

Greece

Holland

Italy

Mexico

Norway

Portugal

Russia

Scotland

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

Sweden

Turkey

USA

I was in my second/third season as Newcastle manager when the board announced that they'd propose a takeover, that was all well and good... but here's the kicker

They are doing this in the middle of the Summer transfer market (right after I sold several players so I could afford players later on) and the new board wanted to replace me as a manager.

For the past 2 seasons I'd been getting Newcastle into Europe (via freak circumstances, first finishing 7th... then winning the league cup the next year) statistically... I was probably the best Newcastle manager that they'd had since Bobby Robson

So I'm left with frantically waiting until the transfer window runs out, crushing the morale of my players because I'm not allowing bids from AC Milan (because I have no way of finding replacements) and I'm doing this for absolutely no reason knowing fine well that as soon as the board takes over... I'm out of a job.

Now it's September 2nd... the transfer window has shut and I've got a vastly poorer squad from last season... Now even if I do keep my job, I'll be kicked out at the end for not getting us a respectable place >_<

In other words FUCK NEWCASTLE IN THIS GAME

Bwahaha. In the 01/02 season, United managed to own everyone in the League, winning by about 30 points in the end. Newcastle, having failed at the start of the season to basically...win...managed to get 2nd place after Villa fucked it up with two games to go, having been second since December. Halfway through the season I was appointed the Spain manager, and get to 3rd Place in the World Cup, having been knocked out in the semis by France. Beat Italy in the 3rd/4th place match, and France proceeded to win 2-1 over the runners up: Denmark.

Yeah. That was an odd one. Although the epic Nigeria-Scotland final 16 match was something to be seen...

Yeah. He's been surprisingly awesome (but he is playing behind of a hell of a defence). My current lineup, for those interested:

GK: Jakkup Mikklesen (£500k from Molde)

-

CB: Ronny Deila (£1.5m from Odd Grenland)

CB: Tony Kuivasto

-

RWB: Trygve Nygaard

LWB: Erik Fuglestad

DMC: Kjetil Rekdal (£500k from Valerenga - Norway captain but getting on a bit now)

-

MCR: Morten Berre / Alexander Odegaard (£1.7m from Sogndal)

MCL: Mass Sarr (free from Olympic Sharks, has the fitness of a chainsmoking ME sufferer though) / Bjorn Berland

MC: Bjarte Lunde Aarshiem (Captain)

-

AMC: Alexander Odegaard/Mass Sarr/Morten Berre/Bjorn Berland <- they tend to swap around the midfield a bit, since everyone can play AMC + either left or right.

FC: Ben Wright

5-4-1-1, or 2-3-3-1-1, however you look at it. Three central midfielders (the two on the edges have diagonal arrows to the AMR/L positions).

Hannu Tihinen went to Shalke for £4.1m, Erik Nevland went to Burnley for £1.4, both in the first season. Nobody else major has been sold since (although Bjorn Dahl and Thomas Pereira might both be leaving this winter). Bought a guy called Roar Fredriksen purely because his name was Roar, he's a backup LWB or MCR.

This has brought up an issue: If you play a formation and it works really well and suits 90% of your players fine, but two really good players don't fit into it (I've tried Dahl and Pereira as wingbacks, it doesn't work, especially Pereira), do you change the formation or sell the players? The latter seems the obvious choice, but it feels kinda harsh because before I took over they were two of the best players in the squad. Fuglestad is doing fine as a left wingback though, he's improved leaps and bounds. Nygaard is doing rather less well and I'll probably need to look at a new wingback if I want to compete for the Champions League seriously next season (drew Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Olympiakos. Wouldn't have won through that group even with a great right wingback :P).

Which brings up another point: Do you ever get 'attached' to certain players? And find that you play them over slightly better players just because you 'like' them for some reason? I'm not talking about real life preferences, just players you've never heard of but for some reason you'd been drawn to. Lunde Aarsheim for example has been at Viking his whole life, and is a fantastic choice for captain, so he's on every damn team sheet unless both his legs are broken, but he's not a great example because he's also a very good central midfielder, but even when he gets old and I inevitably buy a replacement, he'll probably still be my favourite player and keep getting into the team somehow...

In reality it turns out he WAS captain, but left in 2005 after an ankle injury. Ironically pretty much the same happened to Ben Wright, he left Viking after being their top scorer but broke his leg and has just been released from Lincoln City...

Edited by Farmer Reil