Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay I've just signed that awesome regen left back I've been after for ages, sure he cost the bulk of my transfer budget... but he's worth it.

*four minutes into the first game*

Cruciate ligament damage ruling him out for the rest of the season

:(

EDIT: Woah, just had a goalkeeper sent off for the first time. He did one of those diving saves near the edge of his area and momentum carried him over. Really dodgy but I can't see why he'd do something that stupid when there was no-one around him and it was a REALLY weak ball that wouldn't have gone anywhere.

Edited by The General

My game it in 2011 now. Doing relatively well. My only problem is I'm getting bored playing lower league. I miss the old games where you could secretly apply for better jobs without your board knowing/caring.

Summary: Took over Bangor City in the WPL in January 2010. Got a solid finish out of them, whipped by Besiktas in the UEFA Cup. Were 2nd place and on track to win the cups in January 2011 but I was getting seriously bored and couldn't find any more ways of improving the squad, due to the lack of funds and lack of renown.

Quit and applied for Newcastle (I know), they rejected me, then I got the job at Rushden & Diamonds in the Blue Square Premier. Took them from 21st (relegation) to 10th! That's 22 games, 14 won, 3 drawn and 5 lost from January to June, which is insane. I managed to get a few players for free with obscure EU backgrounds. Nyron Wau (Dutch Antilles player), Harold Urquijo from Colombia (who is also Dutch), a Guyanese regen called Sam Webb (who is also English) and an English regen called John Atkinson (who was playing in the USA) have been my star signings.

Overall career stats at Rushden and Bangor:

Played 66, won 41, drawn 11, lost 14. And the game is still calling me 'unproven'. Hopefully I'll get Rushden promoted in the following season and get a better job elsewhere.

Oh yeah. Bangor went on to win the Welsh league and both cups, thanks to all my awesome work. (H)

Edited by The Kraig

So, I decided to take the Nigeria job. In an effort to give my total devotion to the national team, I resigned from the LA Galaxy gig, a month before the season. They're doing ok without me, but not as good as they were with me. :P

As for the World Cup, we were put in a Grouping with Honduras, Scotland, and Holland. First game, we lost to Scotland (ranked #9 in the World) in a close 2-1 game. Then we beat Honduras 2-1. In a game that we HAD to win, we beat Holland 1-0. We've now qualified for the second round, and we drew Turkey. I'm so pumped after that Holland win.

We were ranked #40 in the World rankings before the Cup, so I'm curious how much we'll go up after this. But now, for Turkey.

I (Ajax) just got knocked out of the Dutch Cup by low-tier RBC and afterwards my assistant Frank de Boer answered to the question "How do you feel about this defeat?" with "I am absolutely delighted".

Fishy.

Why let them do the press for you? It's one of the best things in the game to spur on your players, once you know the best answers.

I usually go for the slightly positive ones, or the totally neutral answers. Some of the questions are really quite pointless, like when they ask if you're going to pin-point a particular opposing player. I always do neutral for that, because I couldn't care less. Same with discussing my tactics. And same with discussing which part of the squad is the best. Who cares? Let's get on with the game.

Just support your players at any and all opportunities. I've found that giving them a rollocking just plummets the dressing room morale and you can never get out of it. If your players are playing well, don't jizz all over them. It makes them complacent, and the game will even tell you that they're treating games as if they don't have to make much effort (i.e., player's head is stuck up his arse and he thinks he's so great he doesn't have to play as well to win). I think it's what's making my teams win so often. Even when they lose, they're still playing well, so it's easy to keep things positive.

I (Ajax) just got knocked out of the Dutch Cup by low-tier RBC and afterwards my assistant Frank de Boer answered to the question "How do you feel about this defeat?" with "I am absolutely delighted".

Fishy.

Why let them do the press for you? It's one of the best things in the game to spur on your players, once you know the best answers.

I never do the press because it takes too long and usually my assistant says the right things, which is why this was so funny :pervert:

I tend to let my assistant do it caus it pisses me off.

'Tell us your tactics for the upcoming game.'

'lol, no.'

'You seem uncertain on this question, what are your tactics for the upcoming game?'

'I'm not uncertain at all, i'm not revealing my tactics so my opponents can nullify them.'

'You seem uncertain on this...'

'Oh fuck off.'

Well, I stayed up 'til about four in the morning playing through the World Cup once I got home from Night of Champions. The odds of us winning were 33-1, but we made it to the quarterfinal, where we were beaten by Mexico, 3-0. The Board were upset with such a blow out defeat, but decided they were more impressed with us getting to the final eight.

Spain failed to make it out of the first round (lolz), so they fired their manager. I applied for the job, but was declined. Now I keep getting offers from several Ireland and Russian clubs, none of which have impressed me enough to split my time between them and Nigeria.

And the LA Galaxy (the team I left to manage Nigeria) is in the middle of the table of the Western Conference in the MLS, despite having almost the exact roster I had last year, when we had the best record in the league.

61.jpg

What happened in the second half, lads? :P

The Ivory Coast are quite fun to play with, despite the fact that I should've loaded all players from the Ivory Coast since I have three goalkeepers to choose from.

Also had a brilliant 10-2 win (shitty 'keepers! :@) over Madagascar. :D

EDIT: Probably doesn't help that Kolo Toure is injured for 8 months so my defence is a bit weaker.

Edited by RazorsEdge

So as well as playing my Inter 2014/15 game, I started a game with Reading the other day and that's going... alright I guess. Beat Stoke to sign Mohammed Aboutrika by offering him double the wages he was asking for (roar, fear the financial brunt of Reading) and he's been a force. Signed Wade Elliot too... and sold Bobby Convey because he only had a year on his contract and wanted to go to Wigan. Aboutrika is much better anyway. Signed some right back called Gueye... think he's 21, should be a good investment, I'm sure that if I get promoted he can serve as back up for a few seasons or even first choice if he surprises me. But I keep getting injuries and can't win away from home to save my life.

Just starting another Man City game now as well, but this time I'm only going to sign English players because I'm pretty racist tbh. See how that turns out. Might make allowances for Scottish, Welsh and (Northern) Irish.

Edited by Pesci

• Admin

Just one League One in my first season at QPR (3rd season of the game overall), and have been linked with a host of overseas jobs in the past month. In the last 4 weeks, I've been the bookies favourite to take over at Genk, Venlo, FC Twente, PAOK, FC Basel, Rapid Vienna and CFR Cluj. Oh, and Fulham.

No firm offers yet, but I think I'll stay with QPR for another season at least.

The job I'm holding out for is of course the Blackburn job. My hopes were raised when Sam Allardyce was sacked in January, but they replaced him with Gordon Strachan. So I'll have to wait.

We're (Nigeria) currently 3-0 in the African Cup, and we lead huge by goal differential thanks to a 7-0 thrashing against Kenya. I have been linked to several lower league teams in Ireland and Russia, but never bothered to apply for those positions. Brightons is about to be relegated out of Coca Cola League, and said I was the front runner for the job. I declared interest. And they're still saying they want me, but they've yet to fire Mickey Adams. An article said his contract is going to expire, and they're just going to let it run out. So I'm fixing to apply there once he's gone. Going to be difficult replacing him, since it says he's a club legend on their team page. After being relegated, I'd like to think we'd have a good shot to do somewhat well next season.

Edited by Razor RaMeacon Figurine

So like i want the barcelona job..I'm currently at liverpool won the premiership 2nd season and the champs leage the 1st season. Now does anyone think it would be a good ida to declare my interest in the job because i'm afraid it'll fuck up my squad morale or worse get me sacked and i won't get the job

So, first season in as WBA manager started off well. Got a couple of new guys in like Kevin Doyle, Kily Gonzalez and The Axe and for the first half of the season sat between 7th and 10th. Christmas time and the new year brought my team way down (shocking >_>) and not even the recruitment of Pennant could help boost our flagging forward line. Nor were the adding suspensions helping much. Whist relegation seemed unlikely if possible the board got on my back and I decided "right, fuck them" and applied for the Seville and some other job, Sunderland I think for the money. The board asked me to twice resign in a week but I held firm. The team rewarded me with back to back wins at the end of the season to firmly save us from the drop in 14th place, last beating Hull 5-0 away!

After taht they wanted to keep me on but the fact they took most of the money away planned for transfers to re-invent in the stadium was the last straw so then I resigned. Only got a new club in mid-July which bollocked up any of the freebies I had lined up. However, I am still in the Premiership and attempting to guide West Ham back up the table after a disappointing 15th place finish that saw Zola walk. Not as much money available as i would have liked/thought I would get but some deadwood to clear out and always got an eye for a bargain. I just hope I have better luck in the cups this time at least. >_>

• Admin

After all the news reports, been offered the Newcastle job. Finished 8th in the Prem last year, and will give me £25million to spend with a £1m/pw wage budget.

Think I might take that.