Fringe Season One

MalaCloudy Black

Anyone catch it? It's the first JJ Abrams show I've watched (not counting Cloverfield) and I quite liked it. Hopefully it gets a full season.

Good but not great. Walter Bishop is definitely the selling-point, character wise, as he's absolutely fantastic. Lance Reddick is good as usual but it's kind of hard for me to see him as anyone other than his character from The Wire and the fact that his character here seems kind of similar doesn't help that. The two actual apparent leads in Dunham and Bishop's son aren't... actually that interesting or compelling yet. Maybe time will fix that... but then, given that I still hated Jack and Kate on Lost before I gave up on it, maybe not.

Was the first episode proper any different from the leaked pilot? Did they replace the music that JJ had clearly just stolen from LOST?

Yes. It is still largely the same episode though, so if you've seen that, then there's no plot based differences.

I'll be watching, the pilot didn't really do much to get me all excited about the show but it did enough to make me want to give it a 5 episode chance.

It was okay, far-fetched as all hell with no explanation. Really, this dude has 24 hours to live, you manage to get him transferred from the medical facility to the basement of Harvard, you link your brains together in what is supposed to be some horrifically dangerous experiment, you do some investigating into your suspect, go from Boston to New York and back to Boston, interrogate the suspect and synthesize an antidote all within one day? I thought 24 was bad with being anywhere in the state of California within twenty minutes.

But it started to piece together once the mysterious corporation came into the story, "The Pattern" should be a cool story arc, but since it's a JJ Abrams show, I fully expect it to drag out for seven seasons before we find out what it might be related to, only for a huge twist to come in the next week. It's like M. Night Shamalyan with Attention Deficit Disorder... but that comes with the territory with Abrams, so I know what I'm getting into.

Also, the characters are pretty fucking boring. The only intriguing one is the creepy black guy from Lost and the Robo-arm chick.

Those two characters could lead to interesting storylines and all but, really, I saw nothing from this episode that made me interested in them as characters. The one character I had a liking to was Walter Bishop. I'm wondering if I'll still be interested later or if I'm merely comparing him to everybody else that turned up in this episode and in that light he comes through as a stronger character.

I loved it and actually found the trio of main characters (I don't count Reddick since he's more of a mentor figure) quite compelling.

I don't know, maybe I'm just predisposed to liking shit like this. :blush:

It's alright, worth checking out imo. Not super awesome the greatest or anything so far, but it's only been two episodes.

I liked last night's episode way more than the pilot. Still need a few more episodes (seasons?) before it can be deemed the heir apparent to the X-Files, but it's definitely a fun show. I like the crazy over the top stuff, but I don't dig the goofy method they came up with to find the suspect. "Oh, this guy was sloppy enough to leave behind a trace of the drugs he uses on his victims, but there's not a single print or other piece of forensic evidence in here. Also, no one got a look at this guy despite him picking up strippers or girls in a crowded bar and the people that work at the motel apparently have no description of him, so our only option is this camera that can lift pictures off an optic nerve and the only company that has a patent on it is the one that was conveniently linked to our last case." Massive Dynamic is a bit too much of a Deus Ex Machina for my liking, but other than those gripes, I'm pleased with the show.

Some good ratings news for Fringe, House really helped out this week.

FOX stayed on top at 9 p.m. with "Fringe," 8.2/13, which, with the help of its lead-in, gained about 4 million viewers over its premiere last week.

That's definitely good news after a less than stellar premiere rating.

Just got through the first two episodes and enjoyed it quite a bit. It certainly has an X-Files feel to it, but a little faster paced and a little less dense. Walter Bishop is far and away the most intriguing character on the show, but Patrick showed signs of something interesting in the second episode as well. Not sold you on Olivia, but hopefully in time she'll flesh out to be more than just a tortured woman in a man's world.

So baw. It looks like this series is shaping up to be

Woooo-oooo! Aliens, ya'll! oooooo!

Seriously.. that was kind of disappointing.

• 7 months later...

Bringing this back up from the dead here.

First season ended and I have to say I was impressed. The last couple episodes were wonderful, I missed them so I watched everyone on Hulu in the last couple days. Was anyone else watching? What'd ya think?

I loved it. Watched it since the beginning. I did think the show started off a little slow at first, but around the middle of hte season, when it really started to get into The Pattern and Massive Dynamic etc...it really picked up good

I like it, though sometimes I do find myself nitpicking. I can't think up any specific examples, just. I dunno. It can be a fair bit predictable as well. Also, (spoilers)

Totally called Peter not being the 'real' Peter or what have you like.. near the beginning of the season. Walter's constantly going on about losing something dear to him and Peter can't remember key parts of his childhood? Yeah. I was thinking he might be a clone, but Alternate Reality Peter is close enough.

Watched it from the beginning and really enjoyed it all the way through. It's VERRRRY reminiscent of a Role-Playing Game fave of mine, Delta Green. I thought it went kinda south when they came back from hiatus (filler episodes), but it finished strong. (Y)

Definitely looking forward to more, and Walter Bishop may be my favorite character on television currently.