Trading in games

PkmnTrainerJ

Do you ever trade in your old games, or do you hoard them like some geeky squirrel? Why do you trade in your games?

I don't often trade in my games, but now realising some have zero replay value (such as Hotel Dusk, Phantom Hourglass) I'm taking a fair few to trade in.

I usually go to GAME to trade in games, as the only other options close are Blockbuster and a small import shop.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've only traded in maybe 4 games in my life. I traded in a couple of old SmackDown/FIFA games once when I was an empoverished student and even the measly £4 or £5 I'd get back from them in total was useful enough at the time. I also traded back Force Unleashed about 3 days after buying it (because it irritated me so much), and bought Civ IV: Colonization instead. >_>

So yes, I normally horde beyond all reason. I still have 2 copies of Disgaea 2 (one of which I got for free due to a cockup by GAME, who posted it to me even though I'd cancelled my pre-order the day before), even though there's no earthly sense in why I shouldn't get rid of one of them...

Edited by stokeriño

Never have traded in before. It took me long enough to fill up my 50 game PS2 rack, damned if I'm ruining it now. <_<

I was considering doing with FIFA 08 and NBA2K8 since they are useless now I've got the latest ones. Think I'll put them up on Playtrade or ebay though cause the best offer I got was GAME and £17 for the pair plus Rainbow Six Vegas. It's just plain upsetting when you originally spent £80 on them.

Question about Playtrade...

When someone buys an item I've put up, at what point do I get the money? I'm interested in selling a few of my games on there, but have no real idea how it all works.

I THINK Play sort out the transactions, so when someone buys something from me, that money goes straight into my account/onto the card info they already have from me. Is that correct?

What I was most concerned about is when I get the money. Do I get it once I've said I've posted it, or when the person buying confirms he's received it?

Help quickly please. :(

The very second a new FIFA, Pro Evo or Madden game comes out, the previous game is always dropped to stupidly tiny value in trade ins. It's apalling.

While I was working Gamestation they dropped trade-in price standards numerous times. I remember when a trade-in price of a brand new, just released PS3 game was 30 quid. Now I think it's 25.

PS2 games had their trade-in prices massacred BUT the preowned price DID NOT drop. I was furious when that happened, along with the increase in disc buff prices from a pound to 2 pounds....And our area manager telling us to take in a big pile of trade and then deduct 2 quid for each game needing a disc buff, meaning that some games, trading in for a pound would actually cost the seller a pound to get rid of it! Disgusting. I just flat out refused and always told a customer if a game needed buffing and if it was worth their time trading it in.

I always trade in my old games that I won't play any more. But it's always at Gamestation because they'll beat whatever CEX offers by £1 and CEX usually offers something reasonable. And I always trade in for credit to put towards a new game so I get more value. You may get more on eBay or whatever but if they're used and at least a few months old which is what mine always are then there's not much difference in price and you don't have to go through the hassle of finding packaging, posting them out, waiting for the money to come in etc.

There's the point AJ made about you not getting nearly as much as you paid for them, which is expected, but if it's choosing between letting the game gather dust in your DVD rack or getting rid of it to bring the price of a new game down a bit, it's worth it.

I always keep them, I think I may have traded in one game ever because i got it with my Xbox (original) and didn't really want it. It isn't really worth it IMO, besides the amount of times I randomly go back to old games makes it worth it.

Always trade it, knock down the cost of the next game I want. I traded in Madden 09 to get Gears of War 2 most recently, got $31 for Madden, which is spectacular considering how quick sports title's value drops.

I only hold onto games with really good replay value, so mostly sports games or multiplayer shooters.

Conversly I have a friend who never trades in anything and has easily close to 1000 games, if not more.

Edited by Maxx

I have a hoarding nature so I keep alot of stuff. I figure i'd rather have the game then get a few quid for it from selling it. Plus I like having a collection.

I have sold a few though. Recently I sold on PES2009 because I ended up getting like 25.60 when it cost me 27 new, so not bad. I sold a couple of PS2 games a few years ago too. Timesplitters 3, which may have gone for more than I originally paid for it, and God of War, which didn't work on my PS2 anyway,

Do you ever trade in your old games, or do you hoard them like some geeky squirrel? Why do you trade in your games?

I don't often trade in my games, but now realising some have zero replay value (such as Hotel Dusk, Phantom Hourglass) I'm taking a fair few to trade in.

I usually go to GAME to trade in games, as the only other options close are Blockbuster and a small import shop.

Don't EVER go to GAME for trade-ins, they're atrocious. Best off scouting what price you cang et, then going to Gamestation because they'll beat any trade offer by a quid.

The very second a new FIFA, Pro Evo or Madden game comes out, the previous game is always dropped to stupidly tiny value in trade ins. It's apalling.

While I was working Gamestation they dropped trade-in price standards numerous times. I remember when a trade-in price of a brand new, just released PS3 game was 30 quid. Now I think it's 25.

PS2 games had their trade-in prices massacred BUT the preowned price DID NOT drop. I was furious when that happened, along with the increase in disc buff prices from a pound to 2 pounds....And our area manager telling us to take in a big pile of trade and then deduct 2 quid for each game needing a disc buff, meaning that some games, trading in for a pound would actually cost the seller a pound to get rid of it! Disgusting. I just flat out refused and always told a customer if a game needed buffing and if it was worth their time trading it in.

See the disc-buffing thing is fair play. You charge for disc repairs. If a game is scratched when you're selling it out you repair it. Only stands to reason that you knock the price off the trade-in if it's scratched. But we always tell people if that's the case. I think the prices get fucked around because there's some really dodgy folk who get hold of new releases by illegal means and go trading them in, happens with consoles as well, people get them free with mobile contracts or whatever.

I don't generally trade games in because I don't usually have a great deal of the mainstream games that fetch the most value and by the time I'm finished with them, they're worth fuck all anyway. But if I amass a fair few and there's something pricey on the horizon like Rock Band insturment edition, I'll trade a bunch of stuff in. I'm a bit of a collector like Ellis, but if I'm not using it and I don't have enough, then what's the point holding onto it?

I used to hoard like a motherfucker, then I got an XBox 360 and a buttload of games came out recently. For example, I traded in stuff to pay off NHL 09, pay off part of Fable II, and Fallout 3. I traded in some stuff to get a slim PS2 and Fire Pro Wrestling, too. It seemed stupid at first, but then I picked up stuff like Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2, DBZ: Tenkaichi Budokai 3 (fuck you, it's fun), and SD: HCTP and SvR 2006 for cheap, so it balanced it all out. I wil admit that I do miss my DS sometimes now that it's gone, though.

But yes, now I find myself trading in since games are so expensive. If I don't have use for a game, even if I can get ten bucks I'll trade it in. That always happens with the NHL games, but five bucks is five bucks, so why not?

Oh yeah, and I think I need to sell MVP Baseball 2005 on eBay. I hate baseball, but fuck if that game wasn't superb. That shit's going on eBay for like, $100. I saw Super Mario RPG for $79 at a Microplay today, too. >_>

Edited by Will.

I trade, big time. If anything, its kinda ruined games for me, as its all too easy to fall out of love with a game, and see it as just cash for the next game I want.

Recently, traded in PES 2009 for FIFA 09, and Far Cry 2 plus some other stuff to get Bioshock. What I do though is go to the CEX website, print off the value of the exchange, and then go to Gamestation. CEX offers the best prices on exchange, and then it leaves me free to buy either new games, or second hand games that have been looked after somewhat better than they are at CEX.

The majority of my games are sports games, so trading in is no big deal. I do so before the next one comes out however, and just credit the amount to the new one. I have no issue with that.

I don't do it one/two at a time though, I wait until I've got a few loaded up. In fact, I went to Gamestop last week, traded in three ps2 games I still had, Resistance FOM, a Wii game (forget which), and a ps2 controller. In return I got Army of Two used, Resistance 2, renewed by GI subscription, and still have 3 bucks in store credit. I'll take a trade all day long.

Also, I'm looking at the Gamestop (local to me) specials for next month, and I'll be able to get ANY ps3 game of my choice for 19.99 if I trade in my Heavenly Sword and Assassin's Creed. Again, worth it too me.

I usually keep most of mine. I will sometimes trade in old versions of games (I'll trade in Madden 2009 for Madden 2010, for example), but even then it seems pointless because I get such little value back for them. Most of the time I at least keep my games for long enough that the value really goes down, so it's not worth trading them in. My brother traded in like 10 PS2 games a while back, and he got like $25 or $30. He got $5 or $10 for a couple, but Gamestop gave him like $0.87 or some shit for some of the older games.