Hot Stove 08-09

Lowerdeck

I get it. I really do, i just don't think that makes him scum. He wants money, he wants to get paid nothing wrong with that feeling.

Do i agree with not playing your hardest? HELL FUCKING NO! but just because Scott Boras told Manny that if he played bad he'd get traded away doesn't mean Manny had to do it. Was it a classy thing to do? No! but nice guys finish last in this world, and Scott wanted to get paid.

look, I think every professional athlete's make way too much money, i think it's retarded how much they get paid, but they do. But most people if there was a way to get themselves more money they would do it.

Ok... nevermind, i get it totally now, i guess i could see how everyone else thinks he's scum. but it's still an opinon.

EDIT: That was smart on his part it threw A-Rod right back into the limeright, it may not be totally classy but it's savvy buisness there.

Edited by I Love Pokemon

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not ethical buisness. To even suggest that a player should start phoning it in, in hopes of getting him out of a contract so that you can make money, is scummy. He tampered with the fucking game! Yeah Manny didn't have to do it, but guess what, if Manny had another agent, it never would have been suggested. Scott Boras cares about getting himself as much money as he can, and it seems like he has no problem whatsoever compromising the integrity of the game to do so.

We're not saying he's a bad person like he pushes old people down stairs and kills puppies, we're saying he conducts his business in a sleazy fashion with no respect for the game and with the sole aim of making himself as much money as possible. I highly doubt Scott Boras see's his clients as anything other than giant dollar signs. Thats why people think he's a prick, because he conducts business like one.

And most of his career Manny has played like one, so they deserve eachother.

(And ok i see what your saying, i agree he's not exactly johnny ethics or whatever, and i see and can agree on appearing to be sleazy or whatever. But IMO most people would do what ever they could to make them more money rather it was "ethical" or not. It makes him good at what he does, but some consider it sleazy, i don't IMO it's getting the job done by whatever means neccasiary.)

Clearly this means that they should just merge the Bills with the Blue Jays.

Both teams suck enough. :shifty:

I think the Bills are a team coming off a year where we saw how good they could be and how bad they could be. They have a strong defence. What they need is for Trent Edwards to keep moving forward and they need to get him more then Lee Evans as a target. Marshawn Lynch is a good runner, but I actually think he is overrated.

Getting the job done by whatever means nessicary? So its okay if in 3 years he decided he wants more money and tells all his Yankee clients to start playing like shit and trying to get out of their deals. Suddenly A-Rod and Texiera start playing like shit, acting out and demanding trades, and the Yankees suffer greatly because of it. They get sent away and get huge new deals elsewhere and Boras collects more huge commissions. He's done is job and gotten his money by any means nessicary, and thats okay?

No, its fucking not. He advises players to try and weasel out of the contracts they are signed and are LEGALLY binded to. He's shown he has no problem doing this and no problem advising his players to NOT do what they're paid millions of dollars to do, and it ends up effecting the game. Thats fucked up, plain and simple. There's something called business ethics you know, he's got none. This by any means nessicary approach you advocate is borderline illegal.

Technically there is nothing wrong with it. The way Scott Boras does business just rubs a ton of people the wrong way. He comes off as a huge slime ball. Think of what this does for the rest of the Dodgers, assuming Manny ends up there. How does the rest of the team see him, after he practically held them up at gun point for one or two extra million?

I don't know if they have held themselves to it, but I believe Atlanta said earlier that they were not going to negotiate with Scott Boras ever again. That says a lot about how people see him.

Oh, but this whole Manny thing has one advantage. He is a free agent at the start of the season in MLB 09: The Show!

Edited by Toe

Plus it was deferred money without interest.

Under the offer the money was going to spread out this way:

2009 - 10 million

2010 - 10 million

2011 - 10 million

2012 - 10 million

2013 - 5 million

as opposed to the what ? 45 in the other one ...

I'll take this one over that one (Y)

Next time you wanna be a smart ass read up on the topic. It's not like it wasn't all over ESPN or anything. <_< There was $25 million in deferred money in the first one too. 2009 and 2010 don't count as deferred payments as he's getting the money that year.

Yeah, but the problem is the contract lets Manny opt out after the first year, so he and Boras can prove they are insane again.

Sometimes a one year contract can be a great thing. You know that the player will be going all out because he's playing for his next contract

Edited by sahyder1

Jeez, the Yankees spent more money all winter than the rest of the AL combined. Something like $441 million, while the rest of the AL combined spent under $100 mil (I wanna say $92 mil). The NL combined spent about $100 million more than that. Fuckin' eh.

Plus it was deferred money without interest.

Under the offer the money was going to spread out this way:

2009 - 10 million

2010 - 10 million

2011 - 10 million

2012 - 10 million

2013 - 5 million

as opposed to the what ? 45 in the other one ...

I'll take this one over that one (Y)

Next time you wanna be a smart ass read up on the topic. It's not like it wasn't all over ESPN or anything. <_< There was $25 million in deferred money in the first one too. 2009 and 2010 don't count as deferred payments as he's getting the money that year.

I did read up on it asshole.

Here's what I read on MLB.com

Ramirez accepted a similar deal to the one the Dodgers offered at a meeting of the principals in his Dodger Stadium office this past Wednesday -- two years, $45 million ($25 million in 2009, $20 million in 2010) with a player option after the first year. If Ramirez decides to stay, payment will be deferred over five years without interest at $10 million each for the first two years and $8.33 million each for the next three years.

If he opts out, he'll receive $25 million over the course of four years, $10 million, $5 million, $5 million and $5 million

He now has control over that money. He didn't before. That's how it reads to me.

This doesn't necessarily go here, but there's a chance A-Roid may need surgery on his hip and could miss as few as 6-8 weeks with rest or 4+ months if he has the surgery. If that's the case, it looks like the Yanks will need to open up the checkbook again and buy another All-Star.

The Dodgers won this deal anyway you look at it, HttK. They didn't bid against themselves, anything else is minor quibbling. Boras took a gamble, and lost.

The one year deal thing is good for LA as well. Manny can't 'be Manny', because it'll ruin his chances for a future contract. He's gotta play all out all the time. Its as much a protection for LA as it is an out for Manny.

Now, if we can just scrounge up some pitching, we can make noise in the playoffs.