Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

You better have gone to the Los Campesinos! show last night!

Nah. :( Had no one to go with...and it was at our student union. I don't mind gigging by myself, if it's somewhere I'm not going to be spotted gigging by myself, I'm still a little embarrassed at the idea. That's also why I missed North Lincoln, The Magnificent and Fashanu a couple of weeks back, which I really wanted to go to in order to 1) pick up Fashanu's EP, 2) See The Magnificent who NEVER tour, 3) Buy The Magnificent's album, 4) Catch North Lincoln would have been alright too, even if I only know the new album...but I bottled it. :(

Edited by YI

This has now made me feel like a twat for missing shows. Missing The Magnificent especially...seeing as it's very RARE that I'll see them again (at least for a long time), especially now that 'That Fucking Tank' seem to be 'taking off' a bit and becoming a cult band. Los Camp...is less bad, as I did catch an absolutely EPIC set of there's last year at Leeds Fest.

I'm so tempted to change my plans for tonight and go see JB Conspiracy now...grrrrrr.

I actually regret missing Strike Anywhere in Sunderland the most out of any gig ever. That was just complete and utter apathy as well. Apparently there was only like 25 people there too. Trying to figure out how I can get to Propagandhi/Protest The Hero/Strike Anywhere at the minute.

Edited by YI

If you wanted to do Propagandhi/PTH/SA at Leeds, you could crash at mine for the night, nobody from home lives round here, so I can pull off the "mate from home" thing with anyone who has a remotely Geordie accent. :shifty:

Also, the Los Camp discussion has reminded me I need to get a Cockpit wristband from somewhere so I can see them for free on Friday as part of the 15th anniversary thing they're doing.

If you wanted to do Propagandhi/PTH/SA at Leeds, you could crash at mine for the night, nobody from home lives round here, so I can pull off the "mate from home" thing with anyone who has a remotely Geordie accent. :shifty:

:D I might hold you to that, given that Taste Of Chaos is the same day as the London date and I quite fancy catching In Flames and Killswitch Engage.

Hey, In Flames and Killswitch are fucking good. I'm hoping the 'Special Guests' are up to something too though. Maylene are fucking shit and Every Time I Die aren't much better, and £20. :/ Still would love to see In Flames even if I fucking detested the new album.

I now have £13.06 in my bank account (to last until the beginning of January hahaha)...but I will be rocking Propagandhi/Protest The Hero/Strike Anywhere. FUCK YEAH!

HOLY FUCK!!! "Fireflies" by Owl City is #1 in America! :o :o :o

And on that news, Owl City UK tour dates;

WED

17/02/10

Brighton, UK

Komedia

THU

18/02/10

London, UK

Islington Academy

FRI

19/02/10

Oxford, UK

Oxford Academy 2

SAT

20/02/10

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Newcastle Academy 2

SUN

21/02/10

Birmingham, UK

Birmingham Academy 2

MON

22/02/10

Manchester, UK

Manchester Academy 3

ALL OVER THIS! The Newcastle date is fantastically 'random' (normally we'd get shafted for a Leeds or Scotland date).

Edited by YI

Polar Bear Club, Shook Ones, Title Fight tour in Febuary.!! WHOOO!!

Manchester - 15th Feb first date announced...on sale opn setickets.

Norwih on the 16th and Newport on the 17th as well.

Edited by YI

Hey, In Flames and Killswitch are fucking good. I'm hoping the 'Special Guests' are up to something too though. Maylene are fucking shit and Every Time I Die aren't much better, and £20. :/ Still would love to see In Flames even if I fucking detested the new album.

Maylene is good! :@

Actually, they were good in the '06/'07 era. I just found out they did the Jericho/Big Show mashup theme and all of the melodic stuff that made II a fun record...isn't there.

The fact I discovered the last train out of Leeds to York and then change to Newcastle is at 10 to midnight is being to be a motherfucking godsend (I think this is a fairly recent development cos I'd have been hitting up Leeds more often for gigs, and I wouldn't have been stranded the night of PBC). Either I can come all the way home/get into Newcastle at like 2am...or alternatively stay at my mates in York, which is what I'm doing for Propagandhi and he's coming as well. :D Tempted to try and get him to go see The Cut Ups as well.

Apparently, outside of the 3 shows I posted about last night, there's going to be another 5 PBC shows at the beginning of March (after those three they're doing mainland Europe dates and coming back). I'd think Kingston/London (maybe both), Brighton, Leeds and Glasgow seems a solid shout. I'd LOVE for a Newcastle date, Trillians would be epic.

Edited by YI

Luckily it's not a lot for me to get to Leeds from Hull so I can finally get to some decent gigs without having to miss the last half hour to get a bus home!

:D

Also found out Gay For Johnny Depp/Blakfish is the same night as In Flames/Killswitch Engage...grrrrrr. :(

I do really like finding this out about Leeds though. It's really opened up some potential gigs for the next month (if only I had money haha);

3rd Nov - Blue Roses

4th Nov - Royksopp

7th Nov - Mew/We Were Promised Jetpacks (really tempted to do Mew actually)

24th Nov - The Cut Ups

...plus there's bought to be a bunch of littler stuff I don't particularly know about.

Edited by YI

http://www.brainwashleeds.co.uk/Brainwash_Leeds/Brainwash_Festival_IV....html

I HATE finding out about AWESOME things far too late.

£22.50...and in one weekend I could have seen - Bear Driver, Tubelord, This Town Needs Guns, Dark Captain Light Captain, Blakfish, Pulled Apart By Horses, Handsome Furs, Her Name Is Calla, Jonquil, Vessels, Oceansize, Grammatics and Efterklang...JESUS CHRIST!

Edited by YI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk1--j47Tv4

"The Calligrapher And The Architect" by him as absolutely gorgeous too (but it's not on youtube). The album suffers from not really knowing what it is. I mean, there's rap tracks, upbeat dancey numbers and crazy glitchy stuff that's bordering Crystal Castles territory...he just needs to decide what the hell he actually is.

Edited by YI