Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

I haven't seen Murder By Death live (I'd LOOOVE to though, they were here late last year I think, but couldn't get to any of the shows), but I've seen the other two. For me, Gaslight were beyond epic, but I guess if you don't know the songs it can be a bit disappointing. The Loved Ones were good too, however some of their 'bigger' songs suffer from not sounding as epic live as they really should do (eg. "The Inquirer")...I will say though, if you didn't like "Louisiana", for its sheer catchiness, you have absolutely no soul...you'll remember it, because the entire lyrics are basically just "They're pounding nails in Louisiana, they're pounding nails" for like 4-minutes. :shifty:

...shit I've been liking;

"Our First American Friends" by Tubelord

ALBUM OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE!!! EPIC indie band from Kingston, Surrey. Another Big Scary Monsters band (like other quality artists such as; This Town Needs Guns, Jeniferever, Blakfish, Pulled Apart By Horses, Colour, Mutiny On The Bounty, Mimas etc.) and they definitely live up to the hype, been dying for this since I started listening to them around last summer. Lots of the songs have been floating around for awhile, but the new mixes are epic, really loving this. Standouts are "Night Of The Pencils", "Synthesize", "Stacey's Left Arm", "He Awoke On A Bench In Abergavenny" and "I Am Azerrad". A must listen for those who like Los Campesinos! and that.

http://www.myspace.com/tubelord

"Piano Sparkling" by Siren On

ALBUM OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE!!! There are certain albums that are just so breathtakingly beautiful it's basically impossible to even begin to describe how amazing they are. This is one such album. Siren On is the stage name of Swedish solo artist Jonna Enckell. She's a classically trained vocalist/pianist and her music has very strong classical roots, but she blends in electronics and stuff, it's just breathtaking, her voice is unreal. For 'similarish' kind of stuff think Final Fantasy or Imogen Heap. But honestly, she's just in a total class of her own. I could listen to "Making A Love Poem" all day, every day.

http://www.myspace.com/sirenon

"A Lot of Weird People Standing Around (EP)" by Everyone Everywhere

HOOOLY FUCK!!! SO FUCKING GOOD!! Another 'twiddly indie/emo' band (but honestly one of the best I've heard), the guitars just sound so rich (almost like a garage rock band) they're just so soothing in their distortion. The song quality is absolutely unreal, I could sit and listen to these four songs over and over again. I haven't been able to track down their previously released EP (where most of their myspace songs are from), but I'm desperately trying to find it. "Cool Pool Keg Toss Pete" is a total tune.

http://www.myspace.com/everyoneeverywhere

"Sub Focus" by Sub Focus

Debut album from the drum & bass producer from the UK, best known for a bunch of remixes and that fantastically catchy/somewhat annoying "The airplane flies across the sky, where it goes is in your mind" song, which isn't on here. Instead you've got a bunch of different, really well crafted tracks. From "Rock It", which samples Daft Punk's "Robot Rock", the incredibly funky "Could This Be Real" (which alternates from groovy 90's trance piano and a dirty Dizzee Rascal style bassline), the atmospheric "Last Jungle" and the anthematic "Follow The Light", each song has it's own character and isn't just straight 'pounding on' like a lot of D&B suffers from.

http://www.myspace.com/subfocus

"Don't Cut Yourself (EP)" by Rock Paper Safety Scissors

A female acoustic duo from Canada, with an awesome name. Basically just sound identical to Heathers (although admittedly not anywhere near as good) but it's still a solid EP in its own right, with a couple of very good songs. "Skin & Bones" especially is an absolutely killer track.

http://www.myspace.com/rockpapersafetyscissors

"Grace & The Bigger Picture" by Johnny Foreigner

Quirky, white/black/fit girl trio Johnny Foreigner are back quickly with their 2nd album. I haven't heard this yet, but I expect it to most definitely be frantic and fun. Will definitely help with the wait for the 3rd Los Campesinos! release. The songs seem shorter and snappier than before.

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyforeigner

"Ovations" by Piano Magic

Piano Magic are one of the most depressing bands in the world ever. I remember just before their last album "Part-Monster" came out, I really got into them, and I'd find myself listening to their stuff non-stop, and while amazing, Chris Sachs it was depressing as hell. The album's absolutely glorious, dark and brooding, but so catchy at times too. The odd electronic twinged tracks don't feel out of place either, gorgeous. "March Of The Atheists", "The Faint Horizon" and "On Edge" are absolutely epic.

http://www.myspace.com/lowbirthweight

"The Sunshine (EP)" by The Candle Thieves

4-track EP from the Peterborough duo (unfortunately no "Sharks & Bears" :(). I'm absolutely in love with these guys at the minute, their tracks are so cute nd catchy, it's impossible not to get sucked in by their charm. Even the depressing EP closer "Lonely Lonely Lonely" is so spell-binding and gorgeous and the glockenspiel riff at the end is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. A little bit Eels, a little bit Electric President, a little bit Lucksmiths...just absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.myspace.com/thecandlethieves

Also Chris Walla (DCFC) and J Robbins (Jawbox) have done an epic tune - http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=113659105&m=113677940

Edited by YI

Frank Turner has announced March dates. Well, he announced them about ten days ago, but I've just found out the support. CHUCK RAGAN.

16th March @ The Picture House, Edinburgh

17th March @ Academy 1, Manchester

18th March @ Academy 1, Leeds

19th March @ Academy 1, Bristol

21st March @ Academy 1, Birmingham

22nd March @ The Waterfront, Norwich

23rd March @ The Pyramids, Portsmouth

24th March @ The Roundhouse, London

Leeds Academy 1 is a two minute walk from my uni accommodation, so I'm there.

"Grace & The Bigger Picture" by Johnny Foreigner

Quirky, white/black/fit girl trio Johnny Foreigner are back quickly with their 2nd album. I haven't heard this yet, but I expect it to most definitely be frantic and fun. Will definitely help with the wait for the 3rd Los Campesinos! release. The songs seem shorter and snappier than before.

Shitter, too, unfortunately.

Nah, I've only given it one listen thus far. They've really ramped up the "noise" aspect this time, and the intentionally shambolic register in which everything is couched is really noticeable. Some of the album just sounds like studio outtakes ("Kingston Called..."). "Custom Scenes..." is getting "next singulllll"-type hype on the official (sycophantic as fuck) forums. It sounds like it wasn't quite good enough to make the cut for the first album to me. And contains a really self-consciously "anfummm" bit at the end. Yuck. (Although so did "The Hidden Track...", but then that was never going to be a single and mostly just felt like a hat-tip to older fans of the band.)

The version of "Criminals" that is up on their MySpace had me really worried, but I swear that the production on the album versh is much better. Even though the takes are the same length, which suggests that they're identical. One of history's mysteries, I guess. "Feels Like Summer" is still very nice, and resembles the WUTIWL stuff closely. "I'llchoosemyside..." represents their first real attempt to marry up plonky acoustica with hacking electrified riffs. It don't work -- it's basically just like listening to Aimee Mann and then listening to someone say with their mouth "THUMP THUMP THUMP!"

"Every Cloakroom Ever" is the best song ever, though. (It was leaked as "Rapsidy" [sic] and live'd as "This Trapeze Thought Out", incidentally). Kelly's vocals are at their most tender and child-like; the sliding high-pitched riff is accentuated by some buzzy production; the shuddering rim-shots sound like they should be in a public information film about dying from a drugs.

Maybe it's not that bad. Not enough songs about Birmingham. For my licking [sic].

e: Also, I know that the opening to "More Heart..." is supposed to sound 'mature', but I just can't help thinking SHANE MCGOWAN SHANE MCGOWAN SHANE MCGOWAN when I hear it. A drunk man and a piano -- very sophis'. It is a good song, though. But not for any pianistical reasons.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

"I Woke Up On A Beach In Aberystwyth" is my favourite. With "Every Cloakroom Ever" and "Ghost The Festivals" closely behind. It's pretty good, but I honestly don't think it's an album I will listen to all that much, not as good as the first.

Very tempted to go see Frank/Chuck in Leeds as well.

Still trying to figure out if I can get to Propagandhi/Protest The Hero/Strike Anywhere...I'll hate myself forever if I don't...but given travel (or travel/accomo, depends on where I see them) and everything, I really don't have to money available at the minute.

Edited by YI

Speaking of Shane MacGowan, as we weren't;

article-1183171-04F46A6A000005DC-687_468x286.jpg

The bastard has teeth!

Oh, and his appearance on the new Sharon Shannon album makes up for how shit he was on the last Popes one.

Dear EWB,

You know when I really pimp the everloving fuck out of a band and eventually you occasionally pay attention (mostly to get me to shut me up)...I really can't be arsed to keep cramming these guys down your throat, so let's make it easier on everyone and just pay attention now.

http://www.myspace.com/empireempireiwasalonelyestate

Ignore the shitty name and download/buy;

"What It Takes To Move Forward" by Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate)

Best album I've heard all year...like honestly, head and shoulders above anything.

Cheers. :)

Edited by YI

It's pretty good, but I honestly don't think it's an album I will listen to all that much, not as good as the first.

Their career trajectory at this point reminds me of that of Million Dead. Both released excellent first albums which had been many years in the making, and which brought together songs which had been endlessly and diligently re-worked over the course of the band's life. Both released slightly ropier second albums which had been written whilst the band was on tour and over a much shorter period.

The analogy breaks down somewhat in that "Harmony No Harmony" felt like a "tribute to our fave bands" album with no internal coherence; whereas "Grace..." feels just as composite as "WUTIWL", only weaker. And I'm sure that this process occurs for a lot of bands (bands that release second albums shortly after debuts, anyway).

It's just that JF and MD are really the only two post-millenial bands that I've followed closely and in "real time". And I know that Alexei is a fan of MD, and was disappointed by "HNH".

I haven't seen Murder By Death live (I'd LOOOVE to though, they were here late last year I think, but couldn't get to any of the shows), but I've seen the other two. For me, Gaslight were beyond epic, but I guess if you don't know the songs it can be a bit disappointing. The Loved Ones were good too, however some of their 'bigger' songs suffer from not sounding as epic live as they really should do (eg. "The Inquirer")...I will say though, if you didn't like "Louisiana", for its sheer catchiness, you have absolutely no soul...you'll remember it, because the entire lyrics are basically just "They're pounding nails in Louisiana, they're pounding nails" for like 4-minutes. :shifty:

I'll say this much, I can see why fans of the Gaslight Anthem would love them as a live show. They did have a lot of energy, and the crowd was really into them. The Loved Ones...seemed like really nice guys, so that wins points for me.

I'll say this much, I can see why fans of the Gaslight Anthem would love them as a live show. They did have a lot of energy, and the crowd was really into them. The Loved Ones...seemed like really nice guys, so that wins points for me.

I liked them. I knew most of the songs (not too familiar with Sink or Swim). Is their usual set only like an hour and 10 minutes or so?

In London when I saw them (I used to actually have the set on my computer :( Not anymore :() they did about 90-minutes (with encore gap and banter). But they were playing with one artist less (Frank got about 45-minutes and PBC under half an hour from what I remember).

Edited by YI

Dear EWB,

You know when I really pimp the everloving fuck out of a band and eventually you occasionally pay attention (mostly to get me to shut me up)...I really can't be arsed to keep cramming these guys down your throat, so let's make it easier on everyone and just pay attention now.

http://www.myspace.com/empireempireiwasalonelyestate

Ignore the shitty name and download/buy;

"What It Takes To Move Forward" by Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate)

Best album I've heard all year...like honestly, head and shoulders above anything.

Cheers. :)

Those guys played a free show in my town on St. Patty's day and they fucking suck live. The lead singer can't sing in key at all. However all of their studio stuff is absolutely awesome. Too bad the live show didn't match the studio quality though

New Larry Arms EP ("Buttsweat And Tears") has leaked. 5-songs of absolute fucking amazingness.

Speaking of EP's 2-new AWS songs;

http://www.myspace.com/awilhelmscream

Holy Fuck! "Australias" is HUUUGE!! I've heard "Skid Rock" live as well, it was epic...oh man, can't wait for this and the album next year.

Edited by YI

The Cut Ups are playing some Northern dates next month, shame there's nothing I can get myself to (I would do Leeds, but financially it doesn't look viable);

20th November - Le Pub, Newport

24th November - Royal Park Cellars, Leeds

25th November - 13th Note, Glasgow

26th November - Cellar 35, Aberdeen

27th November - The Wee Red Bar, Edinburgh

28th November - Book Your Ane Fest, Club Kage, Dundee

Leeds date is with Wooderson (who I hear are stunning live :() and Scottish dates are with Joey Terrifying, who are Scottish ska-punk.

Also, if anyone can find presale tickets for Lost Prophets in Newcastle I'd love them forever. I can find Birmingham, Leeds, London and Glasgow...but no Newcastle. :(

Just found out JB Conspiracy are playing Trillians tonight. DAMN ME ALREADY HAVING PLANS! :(

Edited by YI