Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

If Stars Of Track And Field are who I'm thinking of, they're your pretty standard pop-rock affair. Nothing to set the world on fire.

And Strung Out has leaked (non-myspace rip). :D HOLY FUCK!!! HOLY FUCK!!! Cameron Webb's done a fucking AMAZING job of production. The guitar parts are clear, but not 'invasive' like they sometimes were on "Blackhawks...". I was going to sit here and list my favourite songs...but it's impossible. :( Although I will say "Jack Knife", "Ghetto Heater", "The Fever & The Sound", "Heart Attack" and "Andy Warhol" are being nailed with repeated listens at the minute.

Edited by YI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoxeipgc5jk

I really, really, really like this. It's no "7 Things", but quality tune.

also "Who's that chick that's rocking dicks...she must be from out of town"...I had to do a triple take there to figure out the real words...I still just here "dicks" though. :shifty:

Edited by YI

SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO GET TO SAINT MARIA!!! SHE GOT SOMETHING GONNA SAVE MY SOUL!!!

Think I'm basically settled on "Jack Knife", "Ghetto Heater" and "Andy Warhol" being my 3-favourites.

Although "Dead Spaces", "The Fever & The Sound", "Nation Of Thieves", "Black Crosses", "Heart Attack", "Agents Of The Underground"...fuck it...EVERYTHING ELSE is pretty damn close.

Edited by YI

FUCK YEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!

11/30/09 Propagandhi in London Koko United Kingdom

with Strike Anywhere and Protest the Hero

12/01/09 Propagandhi in Leeds Rios United Kingdom

12/02/09 Propagandhi in Cardiff Coal Exchange United Kingdom

Strike Anywhere and Protest the Hero

12/03/09 Propagandhi in Dublin Village Ireland

12/05/09 Propagandhi in Belfast! The Speakeasy, Queens University Ireland

12/06/09 Propagandhi in Edinburgh Studio 24 United Kingdom

12/07/09 Propagandhi in Bournemouth The Academy United Kingdom

12/08/09 Propagandhi in Nottingham Rock City United Kingdom

Address: Sherwood Forest…take a left at Friar Tuck’s house.. with Strike Anywhere and Protest the Hero

London and (maybe) Leeds. SO ON IT! FUCK YEAH! 2000/1000 size venues (at least London and Leeds are).

Also, 'support bands' have gone all sorts of fucking weird. As Tall As Lions are supporting Athlete!??! And AMERICAN STEEL are supporting All-American Rejects...WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING!?!?

Edited by YI

Yeah, new Swellers is fucking awesome. Slower than the debut, but I feel as a whole the songwriting and structuring has gotten much better. The first two songs are insane. The intro to "Fire Away" just PUMPS YOU THE FUCK UP!! like "Skoots" did on the first album. "Welcome Back Riders" which has been knocking around for a while is bloody awesome, still one of their better songs. "The Iron" is nuts, "Dirt" and "Watch It Go" are brilliant too. Not sold on the 'acoustic' song "Stars" (the free acoustic stuff they did last year was awesome though), the only thing that I'm not digging at the minute.

Also, Leeds O2 Academy creeps the ever loving fuck out of me. 1) It's far too clean (it's got a fucking carpet) 2) WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THE 'OPEN PLAN' TOILETS!?!?!?! I'd hate to be absolutely HAMMERED in there, I wouldn't have a fucking clue what was going on.

Edited by YI

Guest Dean Malenringo

First time I heard Japanese Cartoon, I thought, hey, this is cool. Then the guy started singing and then the intro gave way to bland garage rock and then I gave up.

Oh and I'm perhaps the only one who cares, but new Broadcast = happy, happy me.

ABANDON SHIIIIIIPPPP!!! FEND FOR YOURSEEEEELLF!! YOU'VE GOT THAT SINKING FEELING!! AND NOTHING ELSE!!!

"Fire Away" by The Swellers = BEST SONG OF THE MOTHERFUCKING YEAR! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwRijYghVQc

With Paramore taking them on tour, the album being slower than their lest, I could honestly see them 'blowing up' quite a bit, fucking awesome band.

I downloaded the Broadcast album last night...because the bird's fit, haven't listened yet. New JoFo EP too.

...oooh, the new Hellogoodbye song's actually really nice too (it's like a shit Belle & Sebastian song :shifty:) - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=63495018

Edited by YI

Okay, if the new Say Anything song doesn't get them proper mainstream attention, I've lost all faith in mankind.

Also, I always forget that Max Bemis is fat. I mean, no, he's not fat, but he looks like he should be. But yeah, new Say Anything song is glorious.

New Mike Hale track's surfaced ("Wasted Youth") on a split with Kevin Devine. It's awesome.

New The Years Gone By EP has leaked too. It's catchy as fuck, not as strong as the album, which since the start of the year (it's from 2008) has grown on me ridiculously, and I'd put it just a SMIDGE below "Rise Or Die Trying". Still gutted they cancelled the UK tour to record it though. :(

Been listening to another 2008 album a bunch, "The Colour Of Snow" by Polarkreis 18...it's like Miike Snow meets Mew, really fucking good. "Rainhouse", "Allein Allein" and "Tourist" are my favourites.

Bad Lieutenant (New Order/Blur) has leaked...it's a bit bland, but alright. Some good songs.

New Headlights leaked a week or so back. It's definitely a big step up from their 2nd album, but not a patch on the first. The first was just incredible with its fun twee-ness, which has been missing from the last two. They still haven't written a song that matches up to "Everybody Needs A Fence To Lean On" from their debut EP though.

New Nothington is an awesome, Latterman/Gaslight Anthem middle-ground album. There's billions of these bands around at the minute, but I honestly never get sick of them.

Above Them's debut album...is a little disappointing...and I actually forked out money for it. :( The singer's got a intriguing voice. They fit very much into the Hundred Reasons/Hell Is For Heroes spectrum. I also can't get away with the new mix of "Keep Smiling"...it used to be so 'bouncy'...now it sounds so flat. Really liking "Improve On Happiness" and "For Those Who Paved The Way".

New Cut-Ups tune, "Torches" is fucking AMAZING! Could listen to it all day.

I really like the new Robbie Williams song.

All I can think of right now.

I saw Murder By Death, The Loved Ones, and Gaslight Anthem on Tuesday night.

Murder By Death were amazing, totally worth the price of admission on their own. I'd love to see them again when they come back to town.

Unfortunately, the other two were...eh I guess I better not say my real thoughts since I've seen a lot of Gaslight Anthem fans here. I'll just say it's very very very much not for me.