They Could Make a Movie/TV Show Out of That!

ADG

Pretty simple topic, something we've no doubt all had. We see some real life event or a book/comic/story and think that there's a good movie or TV show idea in it. What is yours?

For me, ever since I first heard about The Yellow Fleet I've thought that there could be something in it. Great story, fourteen ships, trapped for eight years in the Suez Canal, nowhere to go. They formed their own association, held their own Olympic games, even had their own postage stamps. No doubt creative licence would require some dramatisation, rivalry between crews, competition, love, betrayal etc. Could be interesting though.

If someone could get Brian K. Vaughn to adapt "Y The Last Man" into a mini series on HBO, I think that would absolutely rule.

Nah, Y is totally a fully fledged film series in my book, it'd make a perfect trilogy for my film choice.

I'd go for Robert Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" for TV series as my choice.

from Wikipedia, edited for improved awesomeness:

Eugène François Vidocq (July 23, 1775 – May 11, 1857) was a French criminal who later became the first director of Sûreté Nationale and one of the first modern private investigators. Vidocq was Victor Hugo's inspiration for both reformed criminal Jean Valjean and his pursuer, police inspector Javert, in the novel Les Misérables.

By age fourteen he stole a large amount of money from the cash box of his parents' bakery and left the town for Ostend where he tried to embark to The Americas. But he was defrauded one night and thus found himself suddenly fundless. To survive, he hired out at a group of travelling entertainers. Despite regular beatings he worked hard enough to get promoted from stable-boy to fair-monster. In this role he had to play a Caribbean cannibal who eats raw meat.

On 10 March 1791 he enrolled at the Bourbon Regiment, where his reputation as a terrific fencer was confirmed. According to Vidocq within six months he challended 15 people to a duel and killed two men in the process. Despite being no model soldier and causing further difficulties, he spent only a total of 14 days in jail. During those two weeks for the first time Vidocq aided a fellow inmate with a successful escape.

On 1st November 1792 he was appointed to corporal of the grenadiers. But during the ceremony on the occasion of his promotion he challenged a higher officier to a duel. This sergeant major refused the duel, so Vidocq hit him. Striking a superior officer could have led to a death sentence so he deserted from his regiment and enlisted in the 11th chasseurs, of course, without mentioning his history.

In March 1795 Vidocq moved to Paris, where he squandered all his money on loose women. He went back to the North and joined a group of Bohemian gypsies, which he later left for a woman he fell in love with, a certain Francine Longuet. When Francine cheated on him with a soldier he beat both of them up. The soldier sued him on which in September 1795 Vidoqc was sentenced to three months in prison.

In the next weeks Vidocq escaped several times with the help of Francince but always was captured soon again. During one of his escapes Francince caught him with another woman. He hid from her and when he finally was picked up again by police he learned that Francine had been found injured with multiple knife wounds. Suddenly he was not only accused of forgery but also attempted murder. It took some time until Francine conceded that the wounds were self-inflicted and the charge was dropped. Vidcoq's contact to Francine was stopped when she was convicted to six months of prison for aiding in prison escapes.

On 1st July 1809, only a few days before his 34th birthday, Vidcoq was arrested again. He decided to stop his life on the fringes of society and offered his service as an informant to the police. His offer was accepted and on 20th July he was jailed in Bicêtre where he started his work as a spy. He sounded out his inmates and forwarded information about forged identities and unsolved crimes to the police chief of Paris, Jean Henry. After 21 month of spying Vidocq was released from jail on the recommendation of Henry. To not raise suspicion among the other inmates, the release was arranged to look like an "escape".

Still Vidocq was not really free, because now he was obliged to Henry. Therefore, he continued to work as a secret agent for the Paris police. He used his contacts and his reputation in the criminal underworld to gain trust among them. He disguised himself as escaped convict, immersed himself into the criminal scene to learn about planned and already executed crimes. He even took part in felonies to suddenly turn on his partners in crime and arrest them. When criminals eventually began to suspect him, he used disguises and assumed other identities to continue his work and throw off suspicion. His success rate was high.

At the end of 1811 Vidocq informally organized a plainclothes unit, the Brigade de la Sûreté (engl. Security Brigade). When the police department recognized the value of the civil agents, the experiment in October 1812 got officially converted to be a security police under the umbrella of the Prefecture of Police. Vidocq was appointed to be its leader. On 17 December 1813 Napoleon Bonaparte signed a decree, which made the brigade a state security police. From this day on it was called Sûreté Nationale.

Vidocq is credited with having introduced record-keeping, criminology and ballistics to criminal investigation. He made the first plaster casts of shoe impressions. He created indelible ink and unalterable bond paper with his printing company. His form of anthropometrics is still partially used by French police. He is also credited for philanthropic pursuits – he claimed he never informed on anyone who had stolen for real need. The Vidocq Society claims to follow his example.

It is believed a story about Vidocq inspired Edgar Allan Poe to create the first detective in fiction, C. Auguste Dupin, in 1841.

In my opinion, one of the most fascinating historical figures you've never heard of, and someone who legitimately changed the world. An O.G. pimp before pimpin' was easy.

Edited by TheRaySays

If someone could get Brian K. Vaughn to adapt "Y The Last Man" into a mini series on HBO, I think that would absolutely rule.

Nah, Y is totally a fully fledged film series in my book, it'd make a perfect trilogy for my film choice.

I'd go for Robert Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" for TV series as my choice.

Oh man, I'd mark like a little kid for that. The Walking Dead would make for the perfect TV series. If you read the letters and responces sent in at the back of the comics, you'll see that the question of a TV show comes up quite often and he always replys with "We'll see" or something in that vein.

I think it'd be a fantastic idea, I mean, Dead Set already proved that there would be a good audience for something like this.

Thinking about it, GANTZ the manga would make for a quality TV series as well.

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie needs to be made into a movie. I had read that he had been working on a script for it to become a movie but that was awhile ago and nothing's been made of it since so hopefully that will happen but I'm not going to hold my breath on it.

I think they're making The Spooks Apprentice series written by Tom Delaney into a film, but yeah - I'd have to go with that. Also, The Skullduggery Pleasant series would make a fantastic film trilogy. The whole thing feels like it's written for film. I also thought Supernatural by Colfier would make a really good film, too. The Umbrella Academy would be intersting, but I could picture it on TV as an animated series.

If we're doing comics, I've just read the first volume of "Guardians of the Galaxy" and that would make a great Saturday morning cartoon series, in a X-Men, Spider-man way, albiet a modernised one.

There's two things in The Ridiculous Race at the moment I'm reading .... I'll edit them in later.

One is basically why there's a huge gap in Siberia, and the various conspiracy theories.

The other is about the singing of a submarine in Russia, and the Government keep drugging one of the bereaving parents to stop her complaining.

The Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler would make a fantastic movie series. They kinda shat all over Sahara, but some things were done right. I think if you get a good directer and sign an actor on for a couple of movies to get some stability you could have a real good series, almost like a treasure hunting James Bond

The Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler would make a fantastic movie series. They kinda shat all over Sahara, but some things were done right. I think if you get a good directer and sign an actor on for a couple of movies to get some stability you could have a real good series, almost like a treasure hunting James Bond

I'd agree with this a million times, but after the revoltingly shitty film version of Raise the Titanic, Cussler wanted no more part of movie adaptations. Then, he got convinced to let them try Sahara (or conned a production company into doing it, depending on who you ask), and it turned out badly, as well. Not sure they're ever gonna go back for another round.

Y: The Last Man was picked up by New Line awhile back. DJ Caruso (Disturbia, Eagle Eye) to direct, David Goyer to produce, Shia LeBeouf to star, thems the rumors.

Y: The Last Man was picked up by New Line awhile back. DJ Caruso (Disturbia, Eagle Eye) to direct, David Goyer to produce, Shia LeBeouf to star, thems the rumors.

Yeah but being picked up and actually happening are entirely different things, and I know the Shia word and I swear to God if that happens I'm so pissed, he's not just wrong for Yorrick, he's outright shit.