Thor cast

LOL no thats not what i meant :P

Im just saying the Spider Man movies were the final straw for me. They completely changed the whole Batman origin but it was a great movie. Even Batman Returns was good. Then they went to shit. Batman Begins was great so the Joker one is probably cool but I didnt go. The Punisher movies were shit. Every Captain America attempt was crap. The first Fantastic Four movie from the early 90's was so garbage its barely known and the modern one was just so wrong also. It was just a special effects fest that ignored what made the FF cool. The actors did a good job though. Transformers was beyond description. Catwoman, Elektra, Daredevil, The (first) Hulk...the list goes on and on. If you cant see why I gave up I cant explain it any better. Maybe Im just old and fed up lol your all probably in your teens/early 20's so you didnt suffer through as much? I dont know.

Money is too tight nowadays to spend on movies that I really dont have alot of hope in liking based on past movies.

Edited by tycoon

I understand your point, because I'm old enough (26) to know about all those crap movies. For a long, long, time, comic book movies were just sloppy adaptions to make a quick buck. That kinda changed with the X-Men movies and the Blade trilogy, and really changed with the new series of Batman movies. Marvel is making some really good, really solid in terms of canon, stuff lately, except for Spiderman, which they don't own the rights to. I think you should give comic book movies another try.

Yeah, tycoon, considering it's Marvel, the people who do the comics themselves, running the making of all these movies... you really aught to give them a try. They're not being influenced by outside sources like Viacom and all that, it's just Marvel making movies on their own comics. Iron Man was fantastic, so was the Incredible Hulk... really, Marvel's been doing great so far and despite the odd cast choice. I'd honestly not be surprised to see them knock out another home run with this Thor film too.

As for films outside of Marvel... look, you said you admitted to liking Batman Begins. If you liked Begins, you'll probably love The Dark Knight. I'd say it's about time to let that stubbornness subside a little and give these films another try. There are a lot of good ones to choose from these days, and plenty that will leave you satisfied.

300, Sin City, V for Vendetta, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, The Dark Knight... all really, really solid comic book movies. They aren't your comic-book movie popcorn flicks by any means, these things take the stories told and treat them as they should be. They don't make them cheesy, they don't make you feel like you're watching a comic-book movie... each of them is unique and steps outside the typical label for movies like that. They stand on their own really, really well.

Watchmen's another great one, but the problem with it is that it sticks so close to the source save for a few areas that unless you're familiar with the source you might get a little lost easily. I personally enjoyed it, but... yeah, it's an acquired taste of a film for some.

Marvel doesnt own Spider Man? I dont get it...they still print the comics.

I was talking with some friends about this tonight and we came up with some good comic book adaptions: The first two Superman movies, Superman Returns (We couldnt figure out how Singer can make this beauty and Usual Suspects but fail so hard at X-2 inbetween), 300, V for Vendetta was somehow still amazing despite not resembling the original stories (maybe Id be more accurate in saying it was probably due to taking a ten issue limited series being crammed into one movie), Spawn, Swamp Thing, Sin City was amazing and unique in the best way, Conan...so Im not saying is been an all FAIL industry. But if you consider Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Nick Fury and all the others I mentioned in the other posts...the list goes on and on...

Im going to watch the Dark Knight tommorrow, its On Demand on my cable system.

How do I convince a friend who has no internet access that Hancock was not a comic book. He swears it is and even says he has the first issue and that Im not the know it all authority on comic books. LOL...I thought I was right and found out I was when I got home but I really wasnt sure after he said he owned the comic...liars LOL.

Back on topic now...

Has there been anything revealed about the Thor plot other than Thor might be opposed by Loki? I say "might" because Loki might not lash out on Thor until he does something disruptive to Loki in the first movie. Just my guess...

Edited by tycoon

Marvel has limited say in what happens in films not done by their studious. It's the same with the X-Men series of films, including the recent Wolverine one. Sure, Marvel has SOME influence, but in the end it's the owners of the studio doing the film that take precedence in it. If they want to steer completely away from the source despite Marvel pleading for them not to, they can, and there's not a damn thing Marvel can really do about it.

This is why they made their own film studio. They can't do anything with the characters already licensed by other studious, but they can at least protect the ones who've yet to be while turning one hell of a profit off of it all.

They weren't bad at all... the first one was very good, and the second one was equal to the task, but the third one was rushed as all hell. If Marvel Studios had done Spider-Man, you can bet that the plot to the third movie would have been taken far more seriously, and that it would have been stretched over two or three films. Look at Iron Man and Hulk... yes, they had big bads that went down in the end... but they were stories that could be told over two hours. They didn't try to cram too much garbage into one film.

I fully expect that when licensing comes up for renewal, that if Marvel has the right to decline to re-license out their characters, they will do exactly that.

Not only are they doing a much better job in the handling of their films, but they're building an entire film universe, much like the comic universe, where you might see characters from one story crossing over into others.

Another reason why I'm big on the Marvel produced films, is that every character is there for a reason. They didn't through the Mandarin into Iron Man for no reason other than to do it. Fox, on the other hand, seems to think that the more recognizable names they have in the films, the better... even if those characters have little to nothing to do with their comic book counterparts.

Definitely, man. An in-house Spider-Man film would be far better than what we wound up getting. That said, though, I really don't see how anybody can bash the first two. Both were very, very good. They weren't Iron Man or Dark Knight good, no, but I think they were at least on par with last year's version of Hulk.

I'm fine with somebody saying they weren't perfect or anything. I just don't see how someone can say that the Spider-Man flicks, of all things, were what turned them off of the comic book-to-film genre, when in the same time frame we were also blessed with the Electra, Catwoman, the Fantastic Four films, and a Hulk movie so bad that it was literally retconned.

To comment on the actual topic, though, I'm fairly nonplussed. The ultimate goal is obviously to have the wonderful nerdgasm that is an Avengers film, and it really looked like they were going for a big name affair with every hero. Next to Jackson, Downey, and Norton, as well as the plethora of big name guys rumored to be in talks for the Captain America role, this guy looks a little out of place.

That said, I haven't seen him act yet, and I don't know much about him. Is he a big dude?

• 2 weeks later...

Found this over at ComicVine:

I'm not sure how much of a role Odin will have in the Thor movie, but he's a character that needs to be cast properly. Rich Johnston posted at Bleeding Cool that Brian Blessed has been cast. Who is Brian Blessed? You might know him as Boss Nass in "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace," Prince Vultan (of the Hawk Men) in the 1980 "Flash Gordon" movie and Caesar Augustus in "I Claudius." Blessed has also worked with Director Kenneth Branagh several times.

Tycoon, you must be trolling. You can't seriously be using the 80's and 90's made for TV movies as a reason not to watch Iron Man? No shit Nick Fury sucked, it starred David Hasselhoff.

I own all the following Marvel movies...

X-Men Origins Wolverine (2009)

Punisher War Zone (2008)

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Iron Man (2008)

Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

Ghost Rider (2007)

X-Men The Last Stand (2006)

Fantastic Four (2005)

Elektra (2005)

Blade Trinity (2004)

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

The Punisher (2004)

Hulk (2003)

X-Men 2 (2003)

Daredevil (2003)

Blade II (2002)

Spider-Man (2002)

X-Men (2000)

Blade (1998)

-------

The Fantastic Four (1994) (unreleased)

Captain America (1991)

The Punisher (1989)

Howard the Duck (1986)

Man-Thing (2005)

Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (1998)

Generation X (1996)

The Death of the Incredible Hulk (1990)

The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (1989)

The Incredible Hulk Returns (1988)

Captain America (1979)

The Incredible Hulk Death in the Family (1977)

The Incredible Hulk (1977)

See where I put that dotted line? Everything below that list sucked. But that's to be expected, because everything under that is either very low budget, a product of shitty seventies media, made for TV (or straight to VHS/DVD), or a combination of all three. But I don't use those as barometers for the rest of the movies. Once you get to Blade I and above, the list has a MUCH better ratio.

The only ones above that line that were truly, painfully, horrible, were Ghost Rider, Hulk and Elektra. (And personally I hated Spider-man III)

Even Daredevil redeemed itself somewhat with the Directors Cut. There's a lot of "Not bad", but there are some truly great movies on that list. Blade, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men are all fantastic.

DC movies didn't get good until Batman Begins.

I refuse to watch Edward Norton in the Incredible Hulk because the 1977 made for TV movie "Incredible Hulk Has a Death in the Family" was rather disappointing. Hurf durf

...../

retard.gif

• Like 1

Found this over at ComicVine:

I'm not sure how much of a role Odin will have in the Thor movie, but he's a character that needs to be cast properly. Rich Johnston posted at Bleeding Cool that Brian Blessed has been cast. Who is Brian Blessed? You might know him as Boss Nass in "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace," Prince Vultan (of the Hawk Men) in the 1980 "Flash Gordon" movie and Caesar Augustus in "I Claudius." Blessed has also worked with Director Kenneth Branagh several times.

Brian Blessed, seriously? That is awesome, nothing but good can now come out of this movie.

Is it wrong that the casting of Brian Blessed turned this from a 'might rent it on DVD' to an absolute cinema must see?

And the Tycoon situation, I stopped listening when he hadn't seen Home & Away...

• 10 months later...