The Inevitable Summer Transfer Market Topic

I'm unsure on Aquilani-Italians generally don't do too well in the Premier League (off the top of my head the only successful players I can think of are Gianfranco Zola, Paolo Di Canio and, err, Benito Carbone)

Vialli, Ravanelli, Di Matteo and to a lesser extent Amoruso, Pistone, Festa, Maccarone, Macheda ( :shifty: ).

I can't believe I forgot those first three! And I'll give you Lorenzo Amoruso, Alessandro Pistone and Gianluca Festa (just), but Macheda hasn't yet proven himself (plus he's come through an English youth system) and I won't even entertain the idea that Massimo Maccarone was 'successful' :P.

And you forgot Massimo Taibi :shifty:

Yeah to be honest the first three were good, the others were more or less a joke and pretty much the only Italians I could remember playing in the PL for any length of time. Except Macheda who I stuck on there because I find it funny when people get pissed about him being talked up as the second coming of christ.

I wouldn't have thought so. Although there may be rule differences with it only being a qualifier, I'm not sure.

Spurs have signed Sebastien Bassong for around £8m. It's money you'd expect to pay for a starting defender which if everyone was healthy I wouldn't think he would be but with how many injury worries we get with our defence he'll probably be playing a fair bit. Another midfielder and I'll be happy with our squad heading into the season.

I think Spurs might have been able to get him a bit cheaper than that with the mess Newcastle are in at the minute. As you say though AD, he'll be playing a fair bit, let's just hope he justifies his price tag.

Speaking of Italians playing in England, anyone remember Lombardo at Palace?

Aquilani must harbour no dreams of furthering his career in the Italian national team by moving to England. Pretty much a sure fire way to not get picked these days isn't it?

Not really. He's already seen as a promising talent and he's possibly ready for the step up fully into the national team as well, possibly a good look in for next years World Cup. Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world right now and it seems he's more than likely going to be starting the majority of games, something he wasn't always doing for Roma. If he's even slightly impressive, it should do him huge favours ahead of the World Cup next year. Heck, it could even cement his place properly in the National team. If he's terrible in England, then that's a different matter I guess, but I highly doubt he will be.

Bit late I know but I will not have a bad word said about Lorenzo Amoruso. He was brilliant. plus it gave us the one remotely interesting thing to ever come out of Barry Ferguson's mouth - "Haw! Amo ya fud!"

I'm in complete shock as to how Newcastle have managed to get so much for the players who have gone, they've actually made a profit twice and got close to the full amount for another.

I was expecting Martins to go for less than 7 million, and I'm sure Newcastle set their asking fee for Bassong as £4m (after they bought him for 40k or something ridiculous like that) Beye is understandable, he's old and will only have a season or two left in him so that's a good price for Villa.

The only problem is, who can we physically get? and even worse, who is the best player at the club now that Martins, Bassong and Beye have gone? Barton? Ameobi? ¬_¬