Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Deadline was set for December ... and Hicks is saying it'd take about two years to sell.

Something has to give, especially without the 20-40m from the CL next year.

Deadline for what, refinancing?

I remember someone saying the difference in TV money between the Europa and Champions League is minimal, unless you happen to get to the Quarters (at least) of the CL.

IIRC as well, Hicks said "we've been here for 3 years, we won't be here for 5." Broughton has also said the club could be sold within 6 months.

We're fucked, basically, but we won't go bust.

soccernet article

Deadline was set for December ... and Hicks is saying it'd take about two years to sell.

I remember someone saying the difference in TV money between the Europa and Champions League is minimal, unless you happen to get to the Quarters (at least) of the CL.

IIRC as well, Hicks said "we've been here for 3 years, we won't be here for 5." Broughton has also said the club could be sold within 6 months.

soccernet article

In fairness, that article is speculation at best. The having to sell players to keep up interest payments is nothing new, we've had to operate at a profit in the transfer market for the last three windows for that reason. It's also not clear what we have 'until December' to sort out; whether that's when RBS will call in the entire loan (in which case I imagine it'll be extended again, as it has been every year since Hicks and Gillett took over), or a specific amount that was given when they gave this six month extension - which, again, has happened before, when they refinanced last time one condition was that the debt was reduced by £100m, which led to Hicks and Gillett selling assets elsewhere.

Pictures of Tony Carr's testimonial

Terry and Lampard just look utterly bemused.

That's awesome, very cool to see Terry, Lamps, Zola, Di Canio, Cole and the Ferdinands in West Ham shirts again. Well, not Zola & Terry but you know what I mean.

And that Chelsea band idea sounds hilarious. How many other footballers have proper bands? I know Slaven Bilic is in one, can't think of anyone else though.

Carlos Tevez released a single in Argentina with a band.

Nolberto Solano is very musical, and I tihnk has released singles in Peru.

soccernet article

In fairness, that article is speculation at best. The having to sell players to keep up interest payments is nothing new, we've had to operate at a profit in the transfer market for the last three windows for that reason. It's also not clear what we have 'until December' to sort out; whether that's when RBS will call in the entire loan (in which case I imagine it'll be extended again, as it has been every year since Hicks and Gillett took over), or a specific amount that was given when they gave this six month extension - which, again, has happened before, when they refinanced last time one condition was that the debt was reduced by £100m, which led to Hicks and Gillett selling assets elsewhere.

Well, part of the problem is that RBS itself is on shaky ground. They're all but at a point where they can't continue to extend and not collect. I mean, the article talks on there being an issue of paying just the interest on the loan for the year. It doesn't even get into the loan itself. RBS can't continue to refinance or make arrangements that allow the debt to be lessened.

I don't think it's speculation at best, but rather a connection of the dots that are coming in the next 6-12 months. They won't get extended forever, and it is very possible that December will be the collection period of RBS can't get its own feet on the ground. The sell won't be quick because of the issues with Anfield. The club can't build a new stadium or take on the costs of the renovations needed. That is clearly going to be something that holds up the sale as nobody is going to come in with the cash needed to buyout the club AND make the stadium happen one way or another. The missing money from the CL is going to hit this coming year, not "in the future" ... as are all the issues with the debt at Liverpool. They're sitting on a window that is coming up sooner rather than later.

As far as I'm concerned, Roy Hodgson has been the best manager of an English team this season, but from a purely Premiership point of view his achievements will wane - so I can see why ole Droopy got the award. Well done to him, he's had a good year and proven his critics wrong. Let's see if he can cut it in the Champions League against the sharpest managerial minds.

As much as I like Hodgson, he hasn't done all that much with Fulham in the league this season. Well, not quite like last season, anyway.

Harry's taken Spurs into 4th when no-one really expected them to achieve it 9 months ago. I probably would've said Liverpool, City and Villa would all finish above them, so well done to him.

Bah, unable to find a feed for the Spurs game (with the early Bale goal) I've got a choice of Chelsea or Man Utd. The early Chelsea goal pleased me though, as has the West Ham goal against Man City....and Fabianski's flapping in the Arsenal game.

All I need is a Fulham goal, that's it. No St Totteringham's Day and no Man Utd title....Oh and a Villa goal against Blackburn so that Man City only finish sixth.

Pompeys debt increased cause they weren't able to pay i think the tax creditors money. If you fail to meet a deadline they can add on half of what you previously owed it's something along those lines.

Yeah not looking good for Liverpool but thats what happens when two cowboys buy the club with borrowed money.

Also COME ON CHELSEA!!! :D :D

Edited by davidmarrio

Nice performance by United in the first half. Nani was energetic, Giggs did well, Neville almost scored a goal (:o) and it's always lovely to see Rio and Vidic in the back at the same time, after all the injuries both men have suffered throughout the season. Don't really mind Chelsea winning 'cause I already accepted the fact that they won't be slipping up a week ago when they beat Liverpool. I just hope Rooney will score and get the golden boot he deserves - seeing Drogba win it would be disgusting as I hate the guy more than anyone else in the Premier League today.

Such a shame Spurs won't be finishing third, though. Would've loved to see all the Arsenal fans make fun of them after that. :D

EDIT: lol, apparently Drogba threw a fit 'cause Lampard wouldn't let him take the penalty.

Edited by Shelty92

I just hope Rooney will score and get the golden boot he deserves - seeing Drogba win it would be disgusting as I hate the guy more than anyone else in the Premier League today.

He deserves it just as much as Drogba because they have the same amount of goals, actually seeing as Drogba was away for a month in January, you could argue he deserves it more. Also why would it be dsgusting? Drogba is an excellent player who is clean off the pitch and does alot of charity work in Africa too, oh we must hate the guy because he dives occasionaly like alot of players.

4-0 now anyway, congatulations Chelsea.

Edited by The Cool One
  • Like 1

Wigan this year have lost:

7-0 at Chelsea*

3-0 at Man City.

4-0 at Bolton.

3-0 at home to Tottenham.

5-0 at Man Utd.

9-1 at Tottenham.

4-0 at Portsmouth.

4-0 at Arsenal.