Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Zola was always going to get sacked once Gold and Sullivan came in and started acting like dicks, criticising the team and seeming to find the most unhelpful things to say just for the sake of being in the papers (e.g. talking about having to cut everybody's wages in the summer when they were still battling relegation).

Not sure what he'll would do now. I imagine he'd want to be a manager again somewhere. The question is whether he goes off to a Championship or League 1 team (like fellow Chelsea alumni Di Matteo or Poyet) or back to Italy.

• Admin

I don't doubt he's a good player (even had him in my bext EPL XI in another thread) - just can't stand the guy and he's managerially awful. Apparently his salary is going to be around £1m a year so good luck to him if he can last more than a few months.

• Like 1

I know, I found it hilarious that he brought out a Minnie Mouse cup for the milk as well. Hope he gets another Premier League job because it would be such a shame for English football to lose such a genuinely nice guy.

• Like 1

I almost wish West Ham was never bought out than have Sullivan in charge of the club. With each passing day and the news/rumors I see, I find myself turning more and more against what the club is doing. Fans are going to be fucking pissed if/when they sell Carlton Cole, as will I. Here was your only real striking option the whole season, and you're going to sell him right away. While Ilan scored quite a few needed goals, almost all came from a Carlton Cole assist, with the only exception being that great diving header against Everton. Plus, he has no desire to return to the club, if I remember correctly. So now you're going to lose your only two strikers.

The other thing that makes me cringe, is a Soccernet article from today. Now if of course it's actually true, the plan for West Ham is to approach Big Sam for the managerial position of Avram Grant turns it down. Now I mean this with no disrespect to Blackburn supporters, but who the fuck would want Big Sam as a manager? Anti-football kind of tactics a lot, and he just always came off like a douche to me. Not really the manager I want for the club I love. He might be able do what's necessary to avoid relegation, but he'll also be boring everyone to death in the process.

I almost wish West Ham was never bought out than have Sullivan in charge of the club. With each passing day and the news/rumors I see, I find myself turning more and more against what the club is doing. Fans are going to be fucking pissed if/when they sell Carlton Cole, as will I. Here was your only real striking option the whole season, and you're going to sell him right away. While Ilan scored quite a few needed goals, almost all came from a Carlton Cole assist, with the only exception being that great diving header against Everton. Plus, he has no desire to return to the club, if I remember correctly. So now you're going to lose your only two strikers.

The other thing that makes me cringe, is a Soccernet article from today. Now if of course it's actually true, the plan for West Ham is to approach Big Sam for the managerial position of Avram Grant turns it down. Now I mean this with no disrespect to Blackburn supporters, but who the fuck would want Big Sam as a manager? Anti-football kind of tactics a lot, and he just always came off like a douche to me. Not really the manager I want for the club I love. He might be able do what's necessary to avoid relegation, but he'll also be boring everyone to death in the process.

I would take boring football and survival over silky skills and relegation any day of the week.

• Like 2

Given that Big Sam has saved us from relegation and given us a top half finish and a cup semi-final on a pretty shoe-string budget this season, isn't that exactly the qualities West Ham are looking for given they have put pretty much their entire squad up for sale?

To be honest, now that Zola's gone and the new owners regularly show signs of being dickheads, nearly all the sympathy I previously held for West Ham has evaporated.

With that said, selling Carlton Cole, or indeed any other player, shouldn't be seen as a hideous move given the club's financial position. Same goes for hiring Big Sam, if you view it on the basis that Premier League survival is the number one essential commodity for West Ham to obtain if they're to survive financially in the seasons ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282288/West-Ham-United-Arsenal-East-London-pledges-David-Sullivan.html

In case you weren't already certain, David Sullivan is a fucktard.

Some highlights:

For Zola to be fired for speaking out seems ironic, given that Sullivan has not been shy of criticising the manager and his players. The co-owner even posted his fury on the club website after a 3-1 defeat at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"I don’t think it was controversial," he insists. "That was just an awful performance. You have to tell people how you feel."

:rolleyes:

"Benni McCarthy is nearly as fat as me. I try to do aerobics in the morning but I’m 61 years old.

He’s the one West Ham player I want to go to the World Cup because he might come back fitter."

... :mellow:

"Arsenal is our model. Myself, Avram, David Gold and Karen Brady would love to turn West Ham into the Arsenal of east London. The team, the club, there’s so much right there. It’s so well run."

One reason it's so well run is that the owners aren't meddling twats So, you know...good luck with that.