The England thread

After seeing Nugent yesterday I can see why he's seen as the Trundle of the Championship, arrogant self centred twat. "Yay look at me, I can run after a ball and blast it in from the line with noone near me!" Gotta say that Stevie G showed some fight and was pretty much the only one of the starters who looked really up for it and played his heart out (okay so the defence didn't get to do much) always looking like the one who'd nick us something and did so.

Trundle's superb.

& so is Nugent, you see one interview and say that? lol, right.

My brother always said he was fairly humble anda nice lad when he saw him play at the Gigg, so I will take his word on it.

Or how about they show their feelings when England can't break down Andorra. Should there be a man going up and down the touch line holding a card saying 'Cheer!' when England manage to something half well?

On the one hand, this'll make Lampard look like a twat, and make Gerrard look good.

I've heard a few people be like that, and I don't get it. It wasn't as if Gerrard played well against a good team, he did the job (albeit, one of the only players who seemed to do it) against Andorra, as he should be doing considering how good he is. If we were playing someone better and Gerrard did what he did, I'd understand people believing that that settles the Lampard/Gerrard argument, but it doesn't, really.

Though I've also always maintained that a decent manager should be able to get them both playing in England's midfield well with each other. and it shouldn't be as big a problem as it seems to have become now.

Gerrard and Lampard could quite easily play together, otherwise Mourinho wouldn't have even bothered trying to sign him. He wasn't going to sell Lampard, and he wasn't going to rotate them in each game.

I'd like to see England play a similar type of formation to what Liverpool played against Arsenal. Crouch up front with Gerrard just behind, Lampard and Hargreaves in the middle with Lennon and Barry on the wings. Add in Ashley Cole and Gary Neville and we'd tear teams apart down the wings, with Lampard and Gerrard bombing forward to get on the end of Crouch's flick-ons.

• 1 month later...

My views on performances:

Foster - had little to do.

P.Neville - doesn't convince at England level for me.

King - messed up a bit for Albania goal but but impressive.

Dawson - did'nt put a foot wrong.

Shorey - impressive going forward.

Bentley - England's best player.

Barry - impressive, I hope he makes next squad.

Jenas - average for me but I may be biased being a Newcastle fan.

Lennon - looked bright before going off early.

Smith - not a fan of his but a well taken goal.

Owen - all focus was on him, and seemed to struggle.

As for the subs, Downing scored twice and impressive (for once). The rest of the subs struggled to make an impact as the game died.