The England thread

How many mistakes does Calamity Paul have to make before he's dropped? I'm all for 'showing faith in players' but there's a point where it just becomes a massive risk, and we reached that point with Robinson long ago. I know it's "only Estonia" and "we should beat them easily", but at the same time one mistake could mean Estonia cause a huge upset - and Robinson is the most likely to make that mistake.

Gerrard and Lampard as well. All this talk about who will partner Gerrard is bollocks, because neither of them should play. Lampard is just back from injury, whereas Gerrard has been gash since the last round of internationals.

From El Beeb:

1352: TEAM NEWS

More breaking news... Gareth Barry keeps his place in England's midfield, Frank Lampard on the bench. As expected Sol Campbell replaces John Terry in defence.

Full team: Paul Robinson, Micah Richards, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Steven Gerrard (capt), Gareth Barry, Joe Cole, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen. Substitutes: Joleon Lescott, David James, Phil Neville, Frank Lampard, David Bentley, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe.

Anything less than a 3-0 win would be a bit shit, really.

We playing 433 against Russia? Did McClaren say as much in the post-match interview?

We switched to 4-5-1/4-3-3 when Lampard came on, and after the match McClaren said we were "trying out new options." Basically he seems desperate to get Lampard back into the squad, although Cole's injury could be a blessing because it'll allow him to put Barry at left back.

Ashley Cole won't be playing either, so it looks like a Richards Campbell Rio Lescott back four, that's the rumours anyway.

I find it a bit odd that if Lescott is second choice left-back, what was the point in calling up Shorey? However, with that back four likely to be very physically dominant from set pieces attatcking as well as defending, and the midfield and forward looking better this past few games, I can see why Lescott would be prefered - he even pkayed a whole season there last term, so he should do ok.