The England thread

Is everyone a moron? We tried an English manager and look what happened, and the idea that we would do any better with Allardyce, Coppell or Redknapp etc. would do any better than McClaren is pretty laughable.

Redknapp has no room to complain considering he's essentially a convicted criminal >_<

Guest Ringmaster

Regardless of whether or not the players like him, he's an injury-prone thug with a big head and absolutely no sense of decorum. Scoff all you like, but decorum and knowing how to conduct yourself should be a large part of an England captain's job. Sure, the Italians won the World Cup with a team of players who's sportsmanship was perhaps questionable (and really, only a few of them - Toni and Camoranesi are very professional guys) but I doubt Fabio Cannavaro would be first in line to host an alcohol-fuelled, Page 3 Girl-laden romp ending with players getting sucked off in club corridors, in the week of a game no less.

Look at Matterazzi, Baggio, and Filippo Inzaghi, maybe. Age is only a real issue if you play at the Premiership's breakneck tempo, when it's all about pace and off-the-ball penetration, where avoiding the offside trap is the key weapon of many strikers and springing it is the big saving of many a back four.

If Capello wants to play a different game, which is perhaps an interesting way to play on the international stage - a slower, more methodical and technical game - then it might be worth at least examining some of those older players, who are technically still very gifted indeed.

And as for Camoranesi, Ringy - I think a lot of his on-field antics are highly over-exaggerated, but that's personal opinion and a lot of the diving and such can be attributed to the fact that he joined Juve under Lippi, who is quite renowned for that style of play and did his best to drum it into a lot of the younger/newer plays at Juve during his reign. Not that subsequent managers (Capello included, TBF) did much to disencourage that kind of behaviour, but Camoranesi was never as bad as a lot of his team-mates in that respect. As for the tyre-slashing... he's probably got no defence there, but if you look at what'd just happened to the team... yeah, I would've been quite pissed off.

[/apologist]

• 3 months later...

Lets get discussion under way. I'm not going to be around for the match, but there's usually a few people to talk it through so surely a thread is justified.

Basically first thing, Anelka has come out and said Terry should be captain and not Rio. Well, Terry obviously has that experience of being the captain for Chelsea and everything, but Rio's an England mainstay and I like the idea of rotating it around in the friendly matches to see who is worthy when it comes to the real deal later. No substitute to see whose better than just give them a chance and get out there.

But I'm not surprised Terry isn't captain, after Capello witness the Chelsea vs. Tottenham match and with Cole's tackle will no doubt have seen Terry berate the referee at the drop of a hat constantly. I mean it's no surprise to see Cole come out and apologize with Capello sat in the stands, he knows Capello won't take his shit and will want to keep his place. Terry is a good defender, and no doubt a good captain in certain respects but he carries himself like a petulant child when really you'd hope the captain would try and take the referee away and have a one on one chat like you see with so many teams, as opposed to standing alongside Lampard and the other Chelsea contingent shouting and screaming abuse at the referee like children.

I like Chelsea, they can play good football and be a really enjoyable team to watch. But I can't say I respect the way their players conduct and present themselves to other people.

I reckon we can get a 1-0 win here, but I'm kinda expecting a 1-1 draw as well. I just hope our back 5 are cohesive and work well together, and I have no doubt that if the midfield can gel and get the delivery right - the attack will finish given the chance.

So, thoughts?

I'm glad that John Terry wasn't made captain, giving him the armband sends out the completely wrong message.

Team hasn't been released yet but I'd like to see us in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation similar to the one Liverpool have been using over the last couple of months. Rooney up front with Cole and Bentley either side of him, with Gerrard just behind.

Scorewise I reckon there'll only be one goal in it, hopefully we can nick a 1-0 win.

Edited by therockbox

Gah, fuck you Ace :(

What I posted in my thread:

I'm glad that John Terry wasn't made captain, giving him the armband sends out the completely wrong message.

Team hasn't been released yet but I'd like to see us in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation similar to the one Liverpool have been using over the last couple of months. Rooney up front with Cole and Bentley either side of him, with Gerrard just behind.

Scorewise I reckon there'll only be one goal in it, hopefully we can nick a 1-0 win.

Beckham starts, according to the Beeb.

Guess what? David Beckham will start on the right of midfield. The team in full: James, Brown, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole, Hargreaves, Barry, Beckham, Gerrard, J Cole, Rooney. So no Frank Lampard and no David Bentley. The formation will be 4-2-3-1 we reckon.
Edited by therockbox

Expecting negative football from both teams tonight, possibly with France scraping a win. Then again considering my luck with predictions it'll end up 14-12 with England winning :P

Although I'm more intrested in seeing if Cappello will just blackball Beckham at the last minute, I know he's been confirmed as someone to get their 100th cap but i'd like to see what would happen should Bentley start and proceed to play a blinder

Guest EWR 4.2

I think that with all the rotation with the captaincy, Beckham should have got it for the night it would have a good way to let him go out as I hope he will. I'm suprised that Ashley Cole is in as I had a feeling Capello might have left him out after his reaction against Spurs.

I'm also suprised that there's no Bentley, especially with Hargreaves in the team as he isn't very good and I'd rather have Jenas or Carrick in there with Barry. I agree that Wes Brown has improved but I am worried that Ribery (I'm assuming he's playing) will rip him apart.

I also would have given Robert Green a chance. I live fairly close to Norwich where he started out and I actually watched his debut against Ipswich. I think that he should be given a chance to improve on his 1 cap. Because let's face it, Carson has been dodgy recently, Kirkland is injury prone, Robinson is just useless and David James really shouldn't be the future. My three keepers would be Green, Foster and Joe Hart.

I'll be interested to see how Rooney does up front on his own, he played well against the Swiss but this is way more of a test. As for the result, I reckon we'll sneak a 1-1 draw out of it.

Edited by EWR 4.2

Gah, fuck you Ace :(

What I posted in my thread:

Something about great minds would go here I assume? :)

And I think we're all being typical Brits and expecting the worst. I know the Switzerland match wasn't spectacular football, but I'd say we're definitely going to improve under Capello and with any luck push for being one of the top 10 teams in the world, and a bit more.

I think Capello is getting the right mix of old and young in there, as I know people will be too quick to go into FM thinking and not realise just how valuable an experienced player will be in the squad even if not on the pitch. Look at any sport and you have successful experienced players, such as David James here, Agassi in tennis could be one, and there'll be others in sports I don't really care about too I'm sure.. James is a great goalkeeper in general, but even if he doesn't play - having him around younger goalkeepers can be invaluable experience to them that we don't get to see.

I reckon this team looks strong, and bringing on Bentley as fresh legs later on will be fantastic after Beckham's done his job of supplying the crosses. Bentley can come on and torment.

I like Frank, and I know he's a good player and him and Gerrard can play well together. But I think Hargreaves and Barry are going to provide that balance for Gerrard to play a more attacking game and get in there and help Rooney. Meanwhile Beckham can try and whip some in to.. Rooney.. err. Yeah. Rooney can actually header though, just he's not massive - keep going and we will get some opportunities. And get the ball to Joe Cole a lot, he's fucking golden - extremely underrated player and will torment defenders cutting inside.

I don't agree that Jenas didn't make the final squad completely. He's been a revelation for Spurs recently and shown he isn't totally incapable of anything and does have talent that is being found by Ramos. Jol was a great manager for Spurs, but he just didn't get Jenas to play like Ramos has. Still, I'll trust Capello and assume that he just wasn't going to fit into Capello's vision for this match against France. Capello's a hell of a lot more qualified than I am at least.