Football Manager 2010

METALMAN

I'm not sure I follow you, but if you're asking what I think you are then no. As far as I know, a Steam account can only be logged into on one machine at one time and if your friend was logged into it to play FM at their end then it means you couldn't do so at your end. If you don't mind taking turns or will be playing it at different times (and obviously nothing else via Steam either) then I guess it might be possible but I've never tried such a thing. Being logged into Steam is basically the equivalent of having the disc in the drive, you could loan your friend the disc (the Steam account details) to play, but you couldn't both play at once.

EDIT: Oh right, the reason I came in here. Just back from work, picked up the game on the way home. Would've bought it sooner, but PC World were sold out the Friday of release (at about 1pm, come on, how many copies did they order?), Monday and yesterday. Presumably they got some more in yesterday evening or this morning. Was actually gonna buy it on Steam but didn't have enough on my Paypal so now I've got a boxed copy for the same price. Not sure how much time I'll have to play it, but I'm more than happy to buy it to support SI and Sega and encourage them to keep developing/publishing the game.

What I'm asking is that if I've bought the game, but uploaded it onto Steam (ergo foresaking the need for the disc, and also still allowing you to play offline), surely my mate can load it up on to his computer, but use the disc rather than going the Steam method?

That's a good point. I'm looking through the DRM thread at SI Games and so far I've found someone asking:

If I understand this correctly...

Whats to stop people buying the game, registering it with Steam, then selling it on?

Or can we not activate our boxed version with Steam.

My FM09 disk lives inside my drive even though I activated through Steam... pretty pointless but I'm still used to the old school ways!

Answered with:

You'll have a code that you use to register the game via STEAM which is then linked to your STEAM account.

So apparently it's not possible, but that doesn't really explain why. I'll read some more.

Incidentally, did anyone activate through Steam? I wasn't going to bother and just have the disk in the drive, but then I read that if you do then you get access to the achievements (60 in total) and a Steam exclusive skin. So I think I might just do that.

So I picked this up today completely randomly, had no intention of getting it. I kinda lost my love for FM, Fm2005 was the last one I really got into. I think I always preferred the simplicity of the Champ Man series (even FM2005) where you signed your players, set your tactics and rarely had to alter them too much (occasionally switching to play more defensively against a big team or something). But since FM2006 I've become increasingly turned off with the more time consuming game it had become.

Having said that, I'm loving 2010 so far. It's more time consuming than ever before, but it's fun with it. I didn't enjoy spending ages on my tactics, scouting my players, sorting out training, on the others... when it seemed like it offered little reward. But with this one I really enjoy it. I think it's because you can really see how what you do changes the game. For example, I started a game with Man Utd, as I do on every FM to check out the new fixtures and whatnot. First friendly away at Osasuna, 1-0 up from a Rooney freekick and the game is just scrappy in the middle of the park. I tell my players to exploit the flanks more and 10 minutes later we score after a move down right wing. Little things like that make the time spent worth it.

I've gotten used to the new stuff now so I think I'm gonna try and do something I've tried to do with every CM/FM (and never achieved); to start and game, and still be playing it when the next one comes out. I find that I can't play properly as Man Utd as I expect to win and get frustrated by it when I don't. I much prefer starting at the bottom and working my way up.

Anyhoo, this entire post can be summed up by saying, I'm happy with my purchase :)

Cheers man. Just started a first game as Chelsea until I get the hang of it. I'm gonna bring in Dzeko.

So you can buy players with Chelsea? I thought they had the ban in the game :unsure:

They can buy in the first window - same as they could buy this summer. The ban comes into effect as of September 1st, so you can't buy in the mid-season transfer window or the summer after the first season.

So, just downloaded it for PSP - that'll be the version I'm playing this season I think. Started a game as Tottenham - problem is I'm too happy with the squad to try to improve it!

My "proper" game will be with Gillingham as usual though of course they're a league higher than last time so my battle to get to the top of the Premiership (which I achieved last time) won't be quite as epic.....Still, should be fun.

Newcastle have just appointed Alan Curbishley as boss in my game. Not bad choice there.

My signing of Clint Dempsey may not be my best choice ever. All the Swedes and Dutch I was going after were too expensive though. Grr.

EDIT: Nice to see Ledley King get injured for a month just before the start of the season....

And a GORGEOUS Kranjcar freekick! Whoop! The Footy Manager addiction is returning, I can feel it.

Edit: Then a 92nd minute headed equaliser from Tom Huddlestone away at Portsmouth. Phew what a relief...Followed by another long range swirly freekick of dreams from Kranjcar for a 1-0 victory over Everton.....But only three goals in three games and none from my strikers, and Defoe is gettins 5s. Ugh.

Grrrr. I hate the lack of goals.

I've tried various formations and playing as attacking as I can and it's not like Spurs are without attacking options....

We're 6th after 15 games. Won 6, drawn 6, lost 3. We've only conceded 6 goals which is the least in the league (next is 9) but have only scored ELEVEN in those fifteen. Ugh. It's stupid.

Defoe - 0 in 13.

Keane - 2 in 15.

Pac - 0 in 4.

Crouch - 0 in 4.

Jenas - 0 in 3.

Kranjcar - 3 in 16 (leading the way there).

Lennon - 0 in 15.

Modric - 0 in 12.

Palacios - 2 in 15.

Dawson has 2, Corluka and Huddlestone have 1.

It's frustrating. I'd rather draw 4-4 than 0-0 all the time.

Just beat Man City 1-0. Before that results (working back) are: 0-1 v Sunderland, 0-0 v Burnley, 1-1 v Birmingham, 0-0 v Blackburn, 2-0 v West Ham, 3-0 v Chelsea (whoop!), 0-2 v Man Utd, 0-0 v Hull, 0-0 v Liverpool, 1-0 v Wolves, 0-1 v Villa, 1-0 v Everton, 1-1 v Pompey, 1-0 v Bolton.

I dunno where the goals are coming from. :angry: