AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

In terms of efficiency/saving Carl and possibly himself, no, but it's not a decision that anyone else in the group other than probably Daryl would have made, and it's an incredibly brutal one. No matter what the end result is, Shane killed an innocent man who had done nothing but help him to do it. That's cold as fuck and a road that can easily lead to worse places.

• Like 1

In terms of efficiency/saving Carl and possibly himself, no, but it's not a decision that anyone else in the group other than probably Daryl would have made, and it's an incredibly brutal one. No matter what the end result is, Shane killed an innocent man who had done nothing but help him to do it. That's cold as fuck and a road that can easily lead to worse places.

Like Shane trying to kill Rick. Of course, that may not be a good idea..

I really don't see it as that different from Rick leaving Merle handcuffed on the roof. Yeah, Otis was guaranteed to die, but it's not like Rick left Merle with a great chance of survival.

Fuck Shane! In no way is what he did understandable or agreeable. I understand its more of a plot point than anything and Otis had to be likeable for it to work but I hope something really bad happens to Shane for that. I also disagree that its similar to Rick/Merle because Merle was safe and they were going to let him out when they had to but T-Dogg lost the key and they even went back for him, Shane straight up murdered Otis. I also disagree with Gogo, I don't think Daryl would have done that, he's done more selfless things for the group at this point, hell he risked his own life to save T-Dogg who he would have a reason to want dead.

I also don't like the Sophia story, she's been gone a long time now and nobody seems to care anymore, I mean her mom is crying and Daryl is only looking for her because he can't stand the crying. But they are clearly telling us Carl is more important that Sophia.

As it stands now, the only person I will be pissed to see killed is Daryl, I would have said Glenn and Dale but this season those characters are just blah although Herschel is quickly moving up this list. On the other hand, Lori, Shane and even Carol I wouldn't mind seeing die.

I really don't see it as that different from Rick leaving Merle handcuffed on the roof. Yeah, Otis was guaranteed to die, but it's not like Rick left Merle with a great chance of survival.

That's insane. You're comparing a guy who, motivated by genuine guilt and a desire to atone, puts his life on the line repeatedly for the guy who fucks him over in the end and leaves him in a situation where he has basically a 0% chance for survival to a guy who outright assaulted another survivor, was verbally abusive to everyone in his general vicinity, and was left in a shitty situation but not one where he was literally seconds away from being pounced on by a horde of the undead. The only thing in Shane's favor morally is that the benefit to doing so is much more vital than it was with Rick doing what he did to Merle.

• Like 1

Note to self: Do not group with Maxx during a zombie outbreak.

But yeah. Rick was intending to put Merle in time out. Shane kneecapped a guy so zombies would chow down on him while he (Shane) got away. Totally different.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Holy shit that was stupid... i actualy liked the beginning and some of the stuff they dident tell the viewer, and than that ending came along...

Now there's the Shane I remember from the comics. Wow.

Yeah, it´s not that he did try to rape Laurie or anything... that already was shit writing...

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

It really boils down to whether you are a utilitarian or not. For the greater good of many, someone had to be sacrificed to the horde so that one of them could escape. Not only did that save Carl but it probably brought some other important supplies to the group who were clearly low on medicines.

Sure, it's shitty and I hate Shane for doing it, but when you have one bullet left, have no hope of escaping and feel a greater duty towards one person than the other, some things just have to happen.

I've chosen to block that scene out of my mind forever.

Or that sceene were they had him go mad on the wifebeater.

It´s realy just lazy shit writing on his character, he has to be a terrible dick every other episode and it never makes any sens at all, it just happens so the dumbest of the dumb viewers dislike him. (like in this Episode were they actualy still had a TON of time to fight on the ground before the zombies caught up... so yeah, shane shotes him so he now has to carry two bags with his injured leg? Great idea to wast lots of time and slow yourself down even more... good thing the mass of zombies just goes for otis and no one at all goes after shane, it´s not that the established that this could/would happen a sceene before wen they were still inside.

Just a suggestion rather than all the spoiler tags, and partly due to my laziness as to when it airs in the states, is it worth a quick comment from the first person on each episode just to say Episode 3 etc? That way I (and anyone else) can just stop reading from that point and everyone else can post without spoilers?

I've chosen to block that scene out of my mind forever.

Or that sceene were they had him go mad on the wifebeater.

It´s realy just lazy shit writing on his character, he has to be a terrible dick every other episode and it never makes any sens at all, it just happens so the dumbest of the dumb viewers dislike him. (like in this Episode were they actualy still had a TON of time to fight on the ground before the zombies caught up... so yeah, shane shotes him so he now has to carry two bags with his injured leg? Great idea to wast lots of time and slow yourself down even more... good thing the mass of zombies just goes for otis and no one at all goes after shane, it´s not that the established that this could/would happen a sceene before wen they were still inside.

I thought him going ape on the wifebeater was good development of the character. Like, he's a dick but he still cares about the people in the camp.

Also I presumed that they all stopped at Otis because he was there and bleeding. When he runs off in the other direction when they are in the gym there are still some zombies left behind who didn't chase. They're the ones that Shane caught the attention of.

Fuck spoilers. We've all agreed it's a bit silly. So, to make it clear, I'm about to talk about the ending of episode 3.

Man, it was dark. A dick move? Maybe yeah. But he had to survive, he HAD to. For Carl. He knew he had to get away and get back otherwise Carl would die. If I was in his situation, and my choice was leave him there and save my best friends kid who was also like a son to me.. or to keep shuffling along together with a huge horde following us, well, I think I would have strongly considered leaving Otis.

I'm not sure about in the comics, but in the show they definitely showed Shane's bond with Carl being much more than "my friends kid". While Rick was away he was the father figure and they grew an emotional connection. So, it's not entirely the same as it being his kid, but the bond is definitely strong.